What's The Odds ?

HarryTom
Re: What's The Odds ?

Post by HarryTom »

Triggers Broom wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:15 am
fredandballou wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am As promising as Ryan Hall might be at this level of football we simply can't risk a rookie keeper in goal. It was obviously bad news Laurie wasn't able to sign for us but the good news is that MM is looking to bring in another keeper. Odd that in his interview yesterday MM made no mention (or was asked) of Laurie or our keeper situation.
At this level we only really need 2 keepers and we have Hall & Coulter. However, their lack of experience makes me nervous so I would hope we'd be bringing in another one with experience and preferably one that commands his 6 yard box, is vocal and organises his defence, will come out for crosses and is able to catch & hold the ball rather than punching it. But I suppose I'm asking for too much to have a keeper who can perform all the necessary basics.
I am sure our goal keeping coach is spending a lot of time with young hall on all these points, that's what he is here for .
Triggers Broom

Post by Triggers Broom »

HarryTom wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:38 pm
fredandballou wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am As promising as Ryan Hall might be at this level of football we simply can't risk a rookie keeper in goal. It was obviously bad news Laurie wasn't able to sign for us but the good news is that MM is looking to bring in another keeper. Odd that in his interview yesterday MM made no mention (or was asked) of Laurie or our keeper situation.
At this level we only really need 2 keepers and we have Hall & Coulter. However, their lack of experience makes me nervous so I would hope we'd be bringing in another one with experience and preferably one that commands his 6 yard box, is vocal and organises his defence, will come out for crosses and is able to catch & hold the ball rather than punching it. But I suppose I'm asking for too much to have a keeper who can perform all the necessary basics.
I am sure our goal keeping coach is spending a lot of time with young hall on all these points, that's what he is here for .
Just to be clear, I wasn't necessarily singling out Hall. It seems a long time since we had a top quality experienced keeper on contract.
supershots

Post by supershots »

Would be nice but goalkeepers are not taught to catch and hold the ball anymore, when I was a goalie it was only continental players who punched the ball.
Bob

Post by Bob »

supershots wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm Would be nice but goalkeepers are not taught to catch and hold the ball anymore, when I was a goalie it was only continental players who punched the ball.
Yep and sometimes they’ll punch when unchallenged, strange!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

supershots wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm Would be nice but goalkeepers are not taught to catch and hold the ball anymore, when I was a goalie it was only continental players who punched the ball.
I think it was Lev Yashin who invented the punch amongst other things ; turned goalkeepers into players as they were more or less pretty much like the old Subbuteo goalies up to then -just there as stoppers hence the weaklings were forced /bullied to play in goal as no one wanted to be between the jumpers back in the day. The likes of Banks Bob Wilson and Shilton all pointed to Yashin as inspiration..
shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 »

An experienced keeper for me is a must- especially after these past four or five seasons. I would try to tempt a guy like Mark Cousins from Bromley. He may be 34..but knows this division very well. Remember him being very vocal in the final game of the season- previous to last, when fans were allowed in for that fixture after covid restrictions.

As you say Triggers an experienced head will be vital to quelling the nerves
supershots

Post by supershots »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:25 pm
I think it was Lev Yashin who invented the punch amongst other things ; turned goalkeepers into players as they were more or less pretty much like the old Subbuteo goalies up to then -just there as stoppers hence the weaklings were forced /bullied to play in goal as no one wanted to be between the jumpers back in the day. The likes of Banks Bob Wilson and Shilton all pointed to Yashin as inspiration..
Are you saying I was a weakling?
fredandballou

Post by fredandballou »

Will MM continue his raid on the Weymouth squad by signing their keeper Ross Fitzsimmons ?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

supershots wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Are you saying I was a weakling?
Like Billy Casper in "Kes" :D
fredandballou

Post by fredandballou »

shotsboy66 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:17 pm
An experienced keeper for me is a must- especially after these past four or five seasons. I would try to tempt a guy like Mark Cousins from Bromley. He may be 34..but knows this division very well. Remember him being very vocal in the final game of the season- previous to last, when fans were allowed in for that fixture after covid restrictions.

As you say Triggers an experienced head will be vital to quelling the nerves
Unfortunately we've missed out on Mark Cousins as he's turned down the contract offered by his club Bromley and signed for Ebbsfleet.
Bob

Post by Bob »

fredandballou wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:53 am Will MM continue his raid on the Weymouth squad by signing their keeper Ross Fitzsimmons ?
We don’t want too many more from a relegated side surely?
Triggers Broom

Post by Triggers Broom »

Bob wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:44 pm
fredandballou wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:53 am Will MM continue his raid on the Weymouth squad by signing their keeper Ross Fitzsimmons ?
We don’t want too many more from a relegated side surely?
Err, no! Particularly as we already have 2 defenders from Weymouth who conceded 88 in 44 games. To add their keeper and with KLF seemingly still in the mix, it won't bode well for the new season!