Do you remember the season that this was trialled?

Birdman
Do you remember the season that this was trialled?

Post by Birdman »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61784848

Was it Bishops Stortford or Boreham Wood back in the 94/95 season who built their team around this. Tall players if I recall correctly.
“The benefit of hindsight can be a wonderful thing.”
Bob
Re: Do you remember the season that this was trialled?

Post by Bob »

Birdman wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:05 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61784848

Was it Bishops Stortford or Boreham Wood back in the 94/95 season who built their team around this. Tall players if I recall correctly.
Put it this way Birdman, the wood became champions that season
Old Bob

Post by Old Bob »

It was an abject failure. It achieved nothing. Wenger seems to have lost the plot over recent years. He says throw-ins are a time waster, but if that really is a problem, the solution is in the hands of the referee.
Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim »

Rich coming from Mr Wenger whose Arsenal team were one of the greatest exponents of time wasting! Didn’t mind “Kick Ins”, but cannot recall them speeding up a game; in fact they wasted about as much time as waiting for everyone to get in place for a “Free Kick.”

Curious how he wants to do away with one time wasting thing, but introduce something else.

Any change in the “Laws” about who can wear gloves and when? 😆😆
Statto

Post by Statto »

Yup, 1994-95.

I was looking forward to seeing lots of balls into the box, but that rarely happened! :?
margateshot

Post by margateshot »

Wenger said that free kicks and throw ins are the biggest time wasters. So he wants to replace a throw in with what is basically a free kick. Why do they insist on changing the laws of the game every season?
Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim »

Although always having had an interest in football, it wasn’t really until the mid to late 1970s that I really started taking an deeper interest. In that time, the only really positive changesI have seen and liked are:

a) The “Back Pass” rule.

b) Bringing back Red and Yellow cards after they briefly vanished.

What I would like to see is:

a) A booking for deliberate “Time Wasting” ” when a ball is deliberately played up into a corner, particularly, towards the end of the match to waste time for more than 30 x seconds.

b) Substitution permitted for an injured player even if usual amount of substitutes have been used.
chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 »

It would be good if referees actually enforced the 6 second rule for goalkeepers too!!
'Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. ' Brian Clough
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think we scored from one once, maybe Keith Baker. Could well be wrong!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Fuggletim wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:50 pm Although always having had an interest in football, it wasn’t really until the mid to late 1970s that I really started taking an deeper interest. In that time, the only really positive changesI have seen and liked are:

a) The “Back Pass” rule.

a) A booking for deliberate “Time Wasting” ” when a ball is deliberately played up into a corner, particularly, towards the end of the match to waste time for more than 30 x seconds.

b) Substitution permitted for an injured player even if usual amount of substitutes have been used.
I don't agree on the extra substitutions. It would just encourage fake injuries. How could a ref decide whether a player was genuinely hurt?
Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne »

Fuggletim wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:50 pm Although always having had an interest in football, it wasn’t really until the mid to late 1970s that I really started taking an deeper interest. In that time, the only really positive changesI have seen and liked are:

a) The “Back Pass” rule.

I would like to see players red carded for shouting verbal abuse to refs, you see it every week in the PL but rarely in Cricket or Rugby.
Mytshot

Post by Mytshot »

The kick in rule was a farce when it was trialled back in the 90s. These days you may well get short passes from a kick in at the top level of the game (the same as you do from goal kicks), but at the lower levels it will just be hoofed.
Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim »

MikeB wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:22 pm

a) The “Back Pass” rule.

I don't agree on the extra substitutions. It would just encourage fake injuries. How could a ref decide whether a player was genuinely hurt?
If I could just qualify what I mean is that if a player has to be taken off because of a SERIOUS injury such as when we lost Ethan Ross and Mitch Walker v Eastleigh back in April. I am not advocating for someone who falls over and says they have cramp or something like that. 🙂
Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots »

I completely agree about a punishment for abusing and even approaching a referee, all communication should go through the captain, isn't that the way i rugby?
Also I'd like to see something that punishes those fanning injury, maybe compulsory 2 min on sideline, that shouldn't affect those with geuine injuries but might discourage those faking it.
IanShots
Kick Ins

Post by IanShots »

A blast from the past! :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61784848

*MERGED*