And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Dr Jim Royle
And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Dr Jim Royle »

To be honest after over 24 hours of the lengthy drum roll announcement I was somewhat a tadge underwhelmed. I was expecting something like ELO to take the stage, instead it was a Tony Christie moment. But that is just me, 4/5 seasons of pretty awful football and strange signings had dampened my own hopes.

Do not get me wrong, 8 signings mean we have an early base and settled squad to build up towards this coming season. Is it going to be a squad capable of keeping clear of relegation and providing a lot more entertainment value plus much needed home wins? Personally I will wait and see, give it a bit of time to settle ...... however I think that will be luxury MM will not have. Start badly, see old traits appear, fans will not be patient, it is now fully his squad.

Facebook is full of supporters on a high, so I think I maybe in the minority of “we will see” camp. One thing for sure is, we all want a better season.

COYS
Banbury Shot
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Banbury Shot »

Dr Jim Royle wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:19 am To be honest after over 24 hours of the lengthy drum roll announcement I was somewhat a tadge underwhelmed. I was expecting something like ELO to take the stage, instead it was a Tony Christie moment. But that is just me, 4/5 seasons of pretty awful football and strange signings had dampened my own hopes.

Do not get me wrong, 8 signings mean we have an early base and settled squad to build up towards this coming season. Is it going to be a squad capable of keeping clear of relegation and providing a lot more entertainment value plus much needed home wins? Personally I will wait and see, give it a bit of time to settle ...... however I think that will be luxury MM will not have. Start badly, see old traits appear, fans will not be patient, it is now fully his squad.

Facebook is full of supporters on a high, so I think I maybe in the minority of “we will see” camp. One thing for sure is, we all want a better season.

COYS
Don't Bring Me Down!
Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse »

I'm in the wait and see camp too and although there are a couple of risks in the 8, it is at least 8 early, which I've wanted for years, and allows time to settle pre season which has to be an advantage.
Last year many gave Mark more than enough slack saying he was working with DS players. That excuse has now gone and if we start badly, he will be in trouble.
Terry said that they didn't have the players to play exciting attacking football and if we survived they would build a team to play that way. Well this is the team they think can, and only time will tell, but it's important to try and get behind the set up at the beginning at least.
Coys.
TIM and TIT :D
Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust »

Anon E Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 am I'm in the wait and see camp too and although there are a couple of risks in the 8, it is at least 8 early, which I've wanted for years, and allows time to settle pre season which has to be an advantage.
Last year many gave Mark more than enough slack saying he was working with DS players. That excuse has now gone and if we start badly, he will be in trouble.
Terry said that they didn't have the players to play exciting attacking football and if we survived they would build a team to play that way. Well this is the team they think can, and only time will tell, but it's important to try and get behind the set up at the beginning at least.
Coys.
It still needs a goalkeeper and at least 2 experienced central midfield players.
RC-Moderator
Site Admin

Post by RC-Moderator »

As someone on social media said - I am just happy not be sifting through 50 trialists at Badshot Lea looking for a gem.
RC: Shotsweb Team
Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens »

New signings are very welcome. Of course time will tell, but future is looking promising for the new season. The sun is shining over the REC.
Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust »

We forget also we have very promising players already signed on in Corey Jordan, Jayden Harris and in particular Tommy Willard whom I expect will come on leaps & bounds next season.
Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots »

Dr Jim Royle wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:19 am To be honest after over 24 hours of the lengthy drum roll announcement I was somewhat a tadge underwhelmed. I was expecting something like ELO to take the stage, instead it was a Tony Christie moment. But that is just me, 4/5 seasons of pretty awful football and strange signings had dampened my own hopes.

COYS
I think they are an exciting looking bunch. Pretty sure we already know who will be the main figure of hate in the team but hope he can prove people wrong. The new signings look to give us a few different options going forward which will be good.
It's great they have a long pre season to gel.
I'm wondering if Harry P. might go out on loan if some of the new signings prove effective?
Not much else we can do but "wait and see" but as usual, I've had an attack of optimism. :D
redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou »

I’m in the positive camp but have seen a couple of mentions of us bringing in three players from a relegated team (one that was even worse than us last year!). However, the general consensus is they were three of their best players?
scorp

Post by scorp »

COYS
Strangely enough, the (former) pirate station, Radio Caroline, played ELO's "Hold On Tight To Your Dreams" this morning.
Never say never - unless!
ACA

Post by ACA »

redblueuptoyou wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:56 am I think all three players signed from Weymouth have worked with MM at some point - Harfield and McQuoid were signed by him whilst he was at Weymouth and Cordner came through Bournemouth's youth system around the time MM was there. Like you, I'm a little wary about signing so many players from a team that was relegated, but Mark obviously knows these guys and believes he can get the best out of them.
I think all three players signed from Weymouth have worked with MM at some point - Harfield and McQuoid were signed by him whilst he was at Weymouth and Cordner came through Bournemouth's youth system around the time MM was there. Like you, I'm a little wary about signing three players from a team that was relegated, but Mark obviously knows these guys and believes he can get the best out of them.
HarryTom

Post by HarryTom »

just wondering, if and how many of our players went onto higher leagues when we were relegated ?
HarryTom

Post by HarryTom »

Should make our games with them over the border nice in juicy, especially if the big man scores against them, very much looking forward to these !!
Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots »

HarryTom wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am Should make our games with them over the border nice in juicy, especially if the big man scores against them, very much looking forward to these !!
Definitely, I'll do my best to get over for those.
HarryTom

Post by HarryTom »

Cph.shots wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am
HarryTom wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am Should make our games with them over the border nice in juicy, especially if the big man scores against them, very much looking forward to these !!
Definitely, I'll do my best to get over for those.
Excellent, look forward to catching up again buddy !