And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Richard Petty
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Richard Petty »

Anon E Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 am I'm in the wait and see camp too and although there are a couple of risks in the 8, it is at least 8 early, which I've wanted for years, and allows time to settle pre season which has to be an advantage.
Last year many gave Mark more than enough slack saying he was working with DS players. That excuse has now gone and if we start badly, he will be in trouble.
Terry said that they didn't have the players to play exciting attacking football and if we survived they would build a team to play that way. Well this is the team they think can, and only time will tell, but it's important to try and get behind the set up at the beginning at least.
Coys.
Good post Anon E Mouse

Until the first ball is kicked in anger on the 6th August we can only speculate on how good this team will be but as you say certainly having them together this early will make them a lot better settled for the start of the season than teams we have put together in the past.

My personal feelings at the moment are a lot more positive than they were as it certainly looks like Mark has gone out and got the players that he actually wanted rather than having to take players simply because they were available and the ones he wanted unavailable (as per Danny Searles list that he showed us at the Fans Forum last year).

The other thing that got my spirits up last night seeing these signings is that as a collective they are without doubt better than I expected to us to sign with the limited resources that we have available. I think its clear that these players are not here for the money but because they want to be here and most importantly for them they want the security of two year deals. Effiong for example will almost certainly have been offered more money by Woking, but just a one year deal. Yes the two year deals could come back to bite us if any players turns out not to be good enough but it also gives us a stable team to build on over two seasons with a sensible but hopefully entertaining mid table season 22/23 and lets hope a bit longer than normal in cup competitions and then maybe look to do even better in 23/24.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
karlready
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:01 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by karlready »

Well, the signings have certainly lifted the spirits of this old cynic. Some solid defenders, a couple of surprisingly interesting forwards , a loose cannon Amulmuzor, and McQuoid, to whom I shall give the benefit of the doubt. IF we can resign Mo Sylla ( or replace him with, dare I say it, Max Kretchzmar ) we’ll be flying. Just a seasoned GK needed.
Might even get a ST…
through a glass darkly
WTF
Posts: 1400
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 am
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by WTF »

I am excited at what could happen next season!
Cph.shots
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Cph.shots »

HarryTom wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:10 am
Cph.shots wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am
HarryTom wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am Should make our games with them over the border nice in juicy, especially if the big man scores against them, very much looking forward to these !!
Definitely, I'll do my best to get over for those.
Excellent, look forward to catching up again buddy !
Definitely, unfortunately I'll just miss the Baggy Lea game.
chimpster99
Posts: 1236
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 am
Location: Alton
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by chimpster99 »

I'm delighted that for once we've been proactive, signed players we want instead of waiting to snap up the dregs last minute, and to use the friendlies to build a team rather than sift through trialists. There's a decent mix of youth and experience in that lot and I reckon Davies will turn out to be the stand-out signing in time. Amartey has huge potential and if he can get some early goals to boost his confidence he could be the striker we've needed. Partington must surely be lead candidate for the captaincy. Amaluzor is a bot of a wildcard after an indifferent season at Motherwell. Cordner and Harfield offer plenty of potential, but McQuoid will probably be more of a squad player/sub but maybe more of a leader off the pitch (and will perhaps join the coaching set-up).

Well done MM and TB, whatever the outcome you've made a statement of intent and given us all a lift.
'Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. ' Brian Clough
tonygodfrey
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by tonygodfrey »

In our position think it's the right thing to back a management team like this one with resources, and most importantly, time.

There may not be instant results early next season but we need to rebuild the backbone of the club and this looks like it could be a good step towards that.

Two year contracts are a risk but its down to getting players with the right character as well as football skills. Hopefully that has happened.
Graham Stovold
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:58 am
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Graham Stovold »

Like others have said, the thing that Mark & BOD should be applauded for is the fact we signed 8 players yesterday. That is something I don’t recall us doing previously. Mark & Terry are on record as saying that it was all about this summer signings when they joined us last September, with a couple of obvious additions ( and I hope Sylla is one of those), this will give us a squad to get excited about…Welcome to all the new signings yesterday 🔴🔵
aldershot-jg
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by aldershot-jg »

I’m not going to getting overexcited but I’m more happier than disappointed with 8 new faces joining us. We have a mixture of height, strength and pace with the attacking players. Yes we’ve signed 3 players from a relegated side but does that matter? When we were relegated from league two how many of that squad found new clubs in league two or higher? Of course we immediately think of the player McQuoid was 4 years ago it one thing for sure is he’s played far more regularly in his time there than anywhere else and is highly thought of amongst Weymouth fans, like all the other players we shall wait and see but I believe he returns here a better player.
redblueuptoyou
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by redblueuptoyou »

I know it’s been answered already but when are the fixtures out? Must be in the next couple of weeks?
redandbluescb
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by redandbluescb »

redblueuptoyou wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:23 pm I know it’s been answered already but when are the fixtures out? Must be in the next couple of weeks?
July 6th give or take.
Richard Petty
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Richard Petty »

redandbluescb wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:38 pm
redblueuptoyou wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:23 pm I know it’s been answered already but when are the fixtures out? Must be in the next couple of weeks?
July 6th give or take.
Yes July 6th, here are all key dates for next season

Fixture Release Day – Wednesday, July 6

National League Opening Day – Saturday, August 6

National League Final Day – Saturday, April 29

National League Play-Off Eliminator A – Tuesday, May 2 (5th vs 6th)

National League Play-Off Eliminator B – Wednesday, May 3 (4th vs 7th)

National League Play-Off Semi-Final 1 – Sunday, May 7 (2nd vs Eliminator A winner)

National League Play-Off Semi-Final 2 – Sunday, May 7 (3rd vs Eliminator B winner)

National League Promotion Final – Saturday, May 13 (Stadium TBC)
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
militaryshot
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by militaryshot »

Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:26 am
Anon E Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 am I'm in the wait and see camp too and although there are a couple of risks in the 8, it is at least 8 early, which I've wanted for years, and allows time to settle pre season which has to be an advantage.
Last year many gave Mark more than enough slack saying he was working with DS players. That excuse has now gone and if we start badly, he will be in trouble.
Terry said that they didn't have the players to play exciting attacking football and if we survived they would build a team to play that way. Well this is the team they think can, and only time will tell, but it's important to try and get behind the set up at the beginning at least.
Coys.
Good post Anon E Mouse

Until the first ball is kicked in anger on the 6th August we can only speculate on how good this team will be but as you say certainly having them together this early will make them a lot better settled for the start of the season than teams we have put together in the past.

My personal feelings at the moment are a lot more positive than they were as it certainly looks like Mark has gone out and got the players that he actually wanted rather than having to take players simply because they were available and the ones he wanted unavailable (as per Danny Searles list that he showed us at the Fans Forum last year).

The other thing that got my spirits up last night seeing these signings is that as a collective they are without doubt better than I expected to us to sign with the limited resources that we have available. I think its clear that these players are not here for the money but because they want to be here and most importantly for them they want the security of two year deals. Effiong for example will almost certainly have been offered more money by Woking, but just a one year deal. Yes the two year deals could come back to bite us if any players turns out not to be good enough but it also gives us a stable team to build on over two seasons with a sensible but hopefully entertaining mid table season 22/23 and lets hope a bit longer than normal in cup competitions and then maybe look to do even better in 23/24.
Why will the ball be kicked in anger?
Bob
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Bob »

militaryshot wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:14 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:26 am
Anon E Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 am I'm in the wait and see camp too and although there are a couple of risks in the 8, it is at least 8 early, which I've wanted for years, and allows time to settle pre season which has to be an advantage.
Last year many gave Mark more than enough slack saying he was working with DS players. That excuse has now gone and if we start badly, he will be in trouble.
Terry said that they didn't have the players to play exciting attacking football and if we survived they would build a team to play that way. Well this is the team they think can, and only time will tell, but it's important to try and get behind the set up at the beginning at least.
Coys.
Good post Anon E Mouse

Until the first ball is kicked in anger on the 6th August we can only speculate on how good this team will be but as you say certainly having them together this early will make them a lot better settled for the start of the season than teams we have put together in the past.

My personal feelings at the moment are a lot more positive than they were as it certainly looks like Mark has gone out and got the players that he actually wanted rather than having to take players simply because they were available and the ones he wanted unavailable (as per Danny Searles list that he showed us at the Fans Forum last year).

The other thing that got my spirits up last night seeing these signings is that as a collective they are without doubt better than I expected to us to sign with the limited resources that we have available. I think its clear that these players are not here for the money but because they want to be here and most importantly for them they want the security of two year deals. Effiong for example will almost certainly have been offered more money by Woking, but just a one year deal. Yes the two year deals could come back to bite us if any players turns out not to be good enough but it also gives us a stable team to build on over two seasons with a sensible but hopefully entertaining mid table season 22/23 and lets hope a bit longer than normal in cup competitions and then maybe look to do even better in 23/24.
Why will the ball be kicked in anger?
It’s just a saying
Anon E Mouse
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Anon E Mouse »

Bob wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:25 pm
militaryshot wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:14 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:26 am

Good post Anon E Mouse

Until the first ball is kicked in anger on the 6th August we can only speculate on how good this team will be but as you say certainly having them together this early will make them a lot better settled for the start of the season than teams we have put together in the past.

My personal feelings at the moment are a lot more positive than they were as it certainly looks like Mark has gone out and got the players that he actually wanted rather than having to take players simply because they were available and the ones he wanted unavailable (as per Danny Searles list that he showed us at the Fans Forum last year).

The other thing that got my spirits up last night seeing these signings is that as a collective they are without doubt better than I expected to us to sign with the limited resources that we have available. I think its clear that these players are not here for the money but because they want to be here and most importantly for them they want the security of two year deals. Effiong for example will almost certainly have been offered more money by Woking, but just a one year deal. Yes the two year deals could come back to bite us if any players turns out not to be good enough but it also gives us a stable team to build on over two seasons with a sensible but hopefully entertaining mid table season 22/23 and lets hope a bit longer than normal in cup competitions and then maybe look to do even better in 23/24.
Why will the ball be kicked in anger?
It’s just a saying
Although with heads down, kicking it in anger at the goal a lot, will be a vast improvement than the last few seasons. :wink:
TIM and TIT :D
Richard Petty
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: And after the lengthy drum roll .....

Post by Richard Petty »

Bob wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:25 pm
militaryshot wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:14 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:26 am

Good post Anon E Mouse

Until the first ball is kicked in anger on the 6th August we can only speculate on how good this team will be but as you say certainly having them together this early will make them a lot better settled for the start of the season than teams we have put together in the past.

My personal feelings at the moment are a lot more positive than they were as it certainly looks like Mark has gone out and got the players that he actually wanted rather than having to take players simply because they were available and the ones he wanted unavailable (as per Danny Searles list that he showed us at the Fans Forum last year).

The other thing that got my spirits up last night seeing these signings is that as a collective they are without doubt better than I expected to us to sign with the limited resources that we have available. I think its clear that these players are not here for the money but because they want to be here and most importantly for them they want the security of two year deals. Effiong for example will almost certainly have been offered more money by Woking, but just a one year deal. Yes the two year deals could come back to bite us if any players turns out not to be good enough but it also gives us a stable team to build on over two seasons with a sensible but hopefully entertaining mid table season 22/23 and lets hope a bit longer than normal in cup competitions and then maybe look to do even better in 23/24.
Why will the ball be kicked in anger?
It’s just a saying
I think he was joking Bob :lol:
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time

Post Reply