What's The Odds ?

Bob
Re: What's The Odds ?

Post by Bob »

Just shows what can happen in football, Lincoln finished nowhere in 2016, 12 months later champions and fa cup quarter finalists
Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse »

In the Summer of 1976 I was digging trenches on Salisbury Plain awaiting a Para training Company about to over-run us. (Advanced training as a recruit). It was bloody hot as anyone who lived at that time will testify! I had never left Scotland until late 1975, and I remember asking fellow recruits why it was so hot in the Costa Del Sol Salisbury. The answer that I got was it ain't half hot Mum! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wh ... 65d3deeff2
Wylie, McLaughlan & Jack, Taylor, Kinnell & Moore, Sugden, Dickson, Mullen, Bostock & Ross.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stenhouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 pm In the Summer of 1976 I was digging trenches on Salisbury Plain awaiting a Para training Company about to over-run us. (Advanced training as a recruit). It was bloody hot as anyone who lived at that time will testify! I had never left Scotland until late 1975, and I remember asking fellow recruits why it was so hot in the Costa Del Sol Salisbury. The answer that I got was it ain't half hot Mum! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wh ... 65d3deeff2
1976 was hot ; I think there were 15 consecutive days when the temperature was 30c or above , It started in May and went on until September. It's the only time I recall where you didn't even bother thinking about what the weather would be the next day-it was going to be hot. The BBC weather map just had "Hot Hot Very Hot" on it, As ever, as soon as the Government appointed a minister for drought -half the country were on stand pipes-the weather broke and it absolutely peed down and Howell's remit changed to dealing with floods !
The thing it's hard to get across to people is that the heat back then was somehow different and it makes you acutely aware of the reality of climate change. I'd say the heat we have now is stuffy/suffocating and much like the heat I experienced in India. I came back saying I'd never known that type of heat, but the heat here(everywhere ?) is like that now.I thought it was due to the bad pollution -car/moped fumes-there,but that was just a guess. in '76 you didn't feel smothered like you do now. Got sunburn and you sat in the shade panting just the same,but-can't fully explain it-the heat was different.
sugrues flying headbutt

Post by sugrues flying headbutt »

Yes, it does remind me of Malaysia or Indonesia - humidity and heat both high then big thunderstorms typically in the late afternoon.
SLABBBBERRR!!!!
Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 am
Stenhouse wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 pm In the Summer of 1976 I was digging trenches on Salisbury Plain awaiting a Para training Company about to over-run us. (Advanced training as a recruit). It was bloody hot as anyone who lived at that time will testify! I had never left Scotland until late 1975, and I remember asking fellow recruits why it was so hot in the Costa Del Sol Salisbury. The answer that I got was it ain't half hot Mum! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wh ... 65d3deeff2
1976 was hot ; I think there were 15 consecutive days when the temperature was 30c or above , It started in May and went on until September. It's the only time I recall where you didn't even bother thinking about what the weather would be the next day-it was going to be hot. The BBC weather map just had "Hot Hot Very Hot" on it, As ever, as soon as the Government appointed a minister for drought -half the country were on stand pipes-the weather broke and it absolutely peed down and Howell's remit changed to dealing with floods !
The thing it's hard to get across to people is that the heat back then was somehow different and it makes you acutely aware of the reality of climate change. I'd say the heat we have now is stuffy/suffocating and much like the heat I experienced in India. I came back saying I'd never known that type of heat, but the heat here(everywhere ?) is like that now.I thought it was due to the bad pollution -car/moped fumes-there,but that was just a guess. in '76 you didn't feel smothered like you do now. Got sunburn and you sat in the shade panting just the same,but-can't fully explain it-the heat was different.
By coincidence at 9PM tonight on Channel 5 there is actually a documentary on about it "Heatwave: Summer of 76"
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
scorp

Post by scorp »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 am
I imagine the heat seems different now because of the age thing. The older body copes less well with it. In '76 we were young and all that. I remember reading about "old" people suffering and dying because of the heat. There weren't stories about younger people suffering. Not that i experiencd the '76 heatwave, just the '75, but i read about it in The West Australian. otoh, with warmer seas now, there's more moisture in the air = equals increased humidity = ugh, the heat seems different! In August 2003 when the temp was more than 38C/100f, the rec was like a steaming jungle during the game v Accrington Stanley.
Never say never - unless!
South Coast Shot

Post by South Coast Shot »

Graham Stovold wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:19 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:32 am
Shots2000 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 am Realistically I think a mid table finish would be a good season and achievable
I have just said the same thing in another thread.

A mid table finish along with some entertaining football and a bit longer than usual in cup competitions would give me a very enjoyable season :D
Yep, same for me, although I would prefer a top half finish rather than mid table 😉
I'd prefer slightly better than that even!

But I'm excitable and easily carried away.

It's just that I'm dying for us to be a FL club again.

Time is running out - hurry up!
I'm here all week. Or at least until I'm banned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

South Coast Shot wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:22 am
Graham Stovold wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:19 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:32 am

I have just said the same thing in another thread.

A mid table finish along with some entertaining football and a bit longer than usual in cup competitions would give me a very enjoyable season :D
Yep, same for me, although I would prefer a top half finish rather than mid table 😉
I'd prefer slightly better than that even!

But I'm excitable and easily carried away.

It's just that I'm dying for us to be a FL club again.

Time is running out - hurry up!
I'll go along with a solid mid table season where we're not even thinking (fearing) relegation and progress can be seen (ie where we really are learning from mistakes and improving, as stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome which has been our game for far too long)) I'd be well pleased if at last we get solid dates and plans to redevelop the Rec into an EFL standard stadium with non match day revenue streams to keep financing the team as all this would point to ambition/future . But anything above the last grim few years is a start.
steveshot

Post by steveshot »

If we can land a good keeper I think we’ll do ok.
I am NOT stevieshot
South Coast Shot

Post by South Coast Shot »

steveshot wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:44 pm If we can land a good keeper I think we’ll do ok.
Walker just signed for Barnet I heard.

Completely agree about a keeper for as much as Iike Hall, if we're going to be getting more goals at one end, keeping them out at the other is crucial.
I'm here all week. Or at least until I'm banned.
redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou »

So, it seems common consensus we need a keeper. Would you prefer an older, more experienced head who can help Hall develop or a promising young keeper on loan from a higher level (that might even be the same age as Hall) who is looking to play some games in the rough and tumble of our league?
fredandballou

Post by fredandballou »

As promising as Ryan Hall might be at this level of football we simply can't risk a rookie keeper in goal. It was obviously bad news Laurie wasn't able to sign for us but the good news is that MM is looking to bring in another keeper. Odd that in his interview yesterday MM made no mention (or was asked) of Laurie or our keeper situation.
Triggers Broom

Post by Triggers Broom »

fredandballou wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am As promising as Ryan Hall might be at this level of football we simply can't risk a rookie keeper in goal. It was obviously bad news Laurie wasn't able to sign for us but the good news is that MM is looking to bring in another keeper. Odd that in his interview yesterday MM made no mention (or was asked) of Laurie or our keeper situation.
At this level we only really need 2 keepers and we have Hall & Coulter. However, their lack of experience makes me nervous so I would hope we'd be bringing in another one with experience and preferably one that commands his 6 yard box, is vocal and organises his defence, will come out for crosses and is able to catch & hold the ball rather than punching it. But I suppose I'm asking for too much to have a keeper who can perform all the necessary basics.
Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens »

fredandballou wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am As promising as Ryan Hall might be at this level of football we simply can't risk a rookie keeper in goal. It was obviously bad news Laurie wasn't able to sign for us but the good news is that MM is looking to bring in another keeper. Odd that in his interview yesterday MM made no mention (or was asked) of Laurie or our keeper situation.
Hall has been with the Shots sometime and has some experience with the first team.So still calling him a rookie is perhaps a little unfair. However, whether he is up to being a first choice keeper this season, is relevant. Only the manager will know the answer to that one.
redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou »

Could Ethan Ross come back? I didn’t see much of him play but seemed decent enough according to people on here.