Fanzine

Steve Stairs elbow

Re: Fanzine

Postby Steve Stairs elbow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm

I wrote one a few years back but didn't have the guys to print it as I thought it'd be slated. I lost it when my old laptop blew up.
PAUL BLUNDELL

Postby PAUL BLUNDELL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

If anyone has any publications regarding Aldershot town fc, I would to take them off your hands if your having a clear out one day. Will always pick up, or you can drop off at the programme shop. Thanks, Paul.
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Shots In the Dark was excellent, vaguely remember something else appearing but in the pre-interweb days this kind of subversion was very welcome. I've scanned the covers of the eight editions I have, were there any more? Plus Ian Stewart's Enigma.

Click on the pics for larger versions:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Oh and here is the back page of SITD2, revealing that the exclusive on Ian Gillard's departure was [alas] wrong :P

Click pic for larger version:

Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for sharing those front pages, Morriseys Scorcher. Very nostalgic and humorous.

Steve Stairs Elbow - +1 for you creating a new fanzine.
Skeleton Bob

Postby Skeleton Bob » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for the nice comments about Shots In The Dark and it's great to hear that there is still a Desperate Darren T-shirt going strong! Somewhere in my loft I have box with some unsold copies of various editions. If i can find them I will donate them to the supporters club shop behind the North Stand. I will post a message on here when I do (it will probably be next season now).
Unfortunately fanzines have really been superseded by the Internet - to a large extent by this very forum. They take a lot of time and effort to do and, contrary to some stories spread around at the time, make very little money or, more frequently, a loss (what little profit I made was put back into the club by way of kit sponsorship).
I have also moved away to Colchester so it would be even harder to get the stories and interviews with the players/staff (particularly since Glenn Burvill left!).
It's a shame but I think fanzines' heyday was just that pre-internet era. When Shots In The Dark was going there was very little information given out by the club and almost all the news you got was via the Aldershot News -who were not exactly awash with scoops.
It's much better nowadays - with a well-run club with good communication and good respect for its fans, Shots TV and this message board. A fanzine, which used to take me between three and four weeks to produce, could never compete with that.
Mick Earls Fan Club

Postby Mick Earls Fan Club » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 am

Think I have the first couple of editions somewhere still.

Thanks for the memories.
PAUL BLUNDELL

Postby PAUL BLUNDELL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:58 am

Bob, I think your so wrong about a fanzine not working, especially with the club riding high at the moment. I would be happy to put them on sale in the programme shop to make a few bob for the club. I'm sure they will sell well. Many thanks, Paul.
Skeleton Bob

Postby Skeleton Bob » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 am

Paul, I'll look through my loft - hopefully Mrs Bob hasn't chucked them out - and bring them to the shop. As I say, I will let you know when I do.
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Skeleton Bob wrote:Thanks for the nice comments about Shots In The Dark and it's great to hear that there is still a Desperate Darren T-shirt going strong! Somewhere in my loft I have box with some unsold copies of various editions. If i can find them I will donate them to the supporters club shop behind the North Stand. I will post a message on here when I do (it will probably be next season now).
Unfortunately fanzines have really been superseded by the Internet - to a large extent by this very forum. They take a lot of time and effort to do and, contrary to some stories spread around at the time, make very little money or, more frequently, a loss (what little profit I made was put back into the club by way of kit sponsorship).
I have also moved away to Colchester so it would be even harder to get the stories and interviews with the players/staff (particularly since Glenn Burvill left!).
It's a shame but I think fanzines' heyday was just that pre-internet era. When Shots In The Dark was going there was very little information given out by the club and almost all the news you got was via the Aldershot News -who were not exactly awash with scoops.
It's much better nowadays - with a well-run club with good communication and good respect for its fans, Shots TV and this message board. A fanzine, which used to take me between three and four weeks to produce, could never compete with that.

Great work as you say pre-Interweb fanzines really caught on for a fairly short time before the www took hold.

I wonder if you could confirm if you produced eight editions or am I missing any? By the way a quick search shows that the first edition can go for a tenner and subsequent editions are in the region of £6-8.
Skeleton Bob

Postby Skeleton Bob » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Funny you should ask that, Mr Scorcher, as I thought that there was an edition timed for for the Sheffield Wed match with photo of an astronaut on the moon - but maybe the photo was on an inside page. It was a joke about Big Ron Atkinson's tactics. I just remember having that page on display when I was selling them to Wednesday fans. Sorry to be vague - I know when I find the box in my loft!
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 am

Skeleton Bob wrote:Funny you should ask that, Mr Scorcher, as I thought that there was an edition timed for for the Sheffield Wed match with photo of an astronaut on the moon - but maybe the photo was on an inside page. It was a joke about Big Ron Atkinson's tactics. I just remember having that page on display when I was selling them to Wednesday fans. Sorry to be vague - I know when I find the box in my loft!

The Wednesday ball boy on the moon is inside issue number three [on the same page as an alternative Shots XI sent in by some rascal :P], Big Ron is on the back page.
Dobbin

Postby Dobbin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Used to love Shots In The Dark and really admired the great sense of humour behind it - some of the jokes still make me chuckle even now. If it was you, Skeleton Bob, then thank you, all your efforts greatly appreciated.
Durham Shot

Postby Durham Shot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 pm

You can't say you've arrived as a fanzine editor until you've been called a four letter name by an ex-England international, eh Skeleton Bob :lol:
Tongham Shots

Postby Tongham Shots » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Dobbin wrote:Used to love Shots In The Dark and really admired the great sense of humour behind it - some of the jokes still make me chuckle even now. If it was you, Skeleton Bob, then thank you, all your efforts greatly appreciated.

Agreed - I have still got some copies, so will seek them out and have another read. I know a few of the players at the time loved them especially Burv and Desperate Darren, himself. :lol:

Return to “ShotsTalk”