Matchday Experience Meeting

Swedishshot

Re: Matchday Experience Meeting

Postby Swedishshot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Something fan related at half time, maybe aim it at kids.

Used to love the half time entertainment.

Maybe a player interview played before and at half time (recorded during the week) the stuff before Dover game was brilliant
Chris Myles

Postby Chris Myles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm

With all the goodwill in the world the match day experience will not matter if we do not have a winning team. Numbers will fall away and only us die hard supporters will continue to come through the turnstile if this is not the case. Fact of life I am afraid.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Fuggletim wrote:Do you know Birdman, I think that is a brilliant idea!

Thank you. Should the club give it serious thought then it might have to wait until the Chelsea deal runs out. That said, we probably won't be able to afford to do it after they've gone :roll: :lol: .
margateshot

Postby margateshot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 am

This subject comes up every year, so I will give my opinion. Some may say that I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses, but I still think that the rec could be developed successfully. Its location still has its advantages with the station within close proximity. If we get increased attendances rail is the obvious way to travel. To attract more families we need to make things more comfortable. The seats in the North stand are not good enough. When I attend I need to sit in certain places where my knees don't get crushed up on the back of the seat in front of me. The ground needs to be developed slowly, not in one go. Maidstone have done this over a number of years, although they did have had a mostly undeveloped ground to work with. If the funding could be found we could develop the Southside without impacting too much on the rest of the ground. Build a stand right back to the fence to the embankment over where Wallys bar is and include both slabs, taking along the whole length of the pitch. That would mean that the away seats could be increased and the away terrace remain. Leg room would be improved for comfort. I would then have a bar/refreshment kiosks under the stand with a connecting door through to the away side. This could be opened or closed depending on how many away fans are expected and depending on segregation. Entry to the stand would also be made from here as all other modern stands. There would be proper clean toilets so both women and children would be attracted to the matches. I still think the club have an advantage as RBC will not want to be handed back an old stadium that would cost millions of pounds of public money to demolish and return it to parkland. (I don't think they could sell it for development) Anyway if anybody has got a spare few millions that's my take on things
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am

Fuggletim wrote:Do you know Birdman, I think that is a brilliant idea!

So do I. Great idea Birdman :D
Pip@B

Postby Pip@B » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm

margateshot wrote:This subject comes up every year, so I will give my opinion. Some may say that I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses, but I still think that the rec could be developed successfully. Its location still has its advantages with the station within close proximity. If we get increased attendances rail is the obvious way to travel. To attract more families we need to make things more comfortable. The seats in the North stand are not good enough. When I attend I need to sit in certain places where my knees don't get crushed up on the back of the seat in front of me. The ground needs to be developed slowly, not in one go. Maidstone have done this over a number of years, although they did have had a mostly undeveloped ground to work with. If the funding could be found we could develop the Southside without impacting too much on the rest of the ground. Build a stand right back to the fence to the embankment over where Wallys bar is and include both slabs, taking along the whole length of the pitch. That would mean that the away seats could be increased and the away terrace remain. Leg room would be improved for comfort. I would then have a bar/refreshment kiosks under the stand with a connecting door through to the away side. This could be opened or closed depending on how many away fans are expected and depending on segregation. Entry to the stand would also be made from here as all other modern stands. There would be proper clean toilets so both women and children would be attracted to the matches. I still think the club have an advantage as RBC will not want to be handed back an old stadium that would cost millions of pounds of public money to demolish and return it to parkland. (I don't think they could sell it for development) Anyway if anybody has got a spare few millions that's my take on things

That would be the most obvious development, and mirrors my thoughts. Not enough shrapnel down the back of the sofa to pay for it though. Unless we can find some one to invest the capital, it will remain a dream.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 pm

margateshot wrote:This subject comes up every year, so I will give my opinion. Some may say that I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses, but I still think that the rec could be developed successfully. Its location still has its advantages with the station within close proximity. If we get increased attendances rail is the obvious way to travel. To attract more families we need to make things more comfortable. The seats in the North stand are not good enough. When I attend I need to sit in certain places where my knees don't get crushed up on the back of the seat in front of me. The ground needs to be developed slowly, not in one go. Maidstone have done this over a number of years, although they did have had a mostly undeveloped ground to work with. If the funding could be found we could develop the Southside without impacting too much on the rest of the ground. Build a stand right back to the fence to the embankment over where Wallys bar is and include both slabs, taking along the whole length of the pitch. That would mean that the away seats could be increased and the away terrace remain. Leg room would be improved for comfort. I would then have a bar/refreshment kiosks under the stand with a connecting door through to the away side. This could be opened or closed depending on how many away fans are expected and depending on segregation. Entry to the stand would also be made from here as all other modern stands. There would be proper clean toilets so both women and children would be attracted to the matches. I still think the club have an advantage as RBC will not want to be handed back an old stadium that would cost millions of pounds of public money to demolish and return it to parkland. (I don't think they could sell it for development) Anyway if anybody has got a spare few millions that's my take on things

Surely the point is that the Club cannot afford to stay at the Rec?
Unless some serious maintenance and repair work is done by the Club (under the terms of its lease) sections of the ground will most probably be closed.
It does sound like all the stake holders are singing from the same page but nothing has been agreed.
Nobody at the Club seems to be saying anything and you wonder why everybody is told to keep quiet about any information given in private regarding the future of the club ?
It would be nice if the Board could tell us what options they are considering ? Then who knows, they might be able to galvanise supporters into helping ?
Richard Petty

Postby Richard Petty » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Headley Shot wrote:

Surely the point is that the Club cannot afford to stay at the Rec?
Unless some serious maintenance and repair work is done by the Club (under the terms of its lease) sections of the ground will most probably be closed.
It does sound like all the stake holders are singing from the same page but nothing has been agreed.
Nobody at the Club seems to be saying anything and you wonder why everybody is told to keep quiet about any information given in private regarding the future of the club ?
It would be nice if the Board could tell us what options they are considering ? Then who knows, they might be able to galvanise supporters into helping ?

It is true that it would probably cost less to build a new stadium on a new site rather than redevelop the Rec but then it would have to be built in one go so any funding/investment would have to be enough for the whole project delivered in one go (Lottery winners please form an orderly queue :lol: ). However if you redevelop the Rec then as margateshot suggests it could be done a bit at a time. I also feel certain that redeveloping the existing stadium would be a far more desirable option as far as most of the supporters are concerned based on both location and club history.

One thing I would say Headley is don't believe some of the alarmist talk that occasionally crops up over the condition of the stadium. Yes it does cost a lot more to run than a modern stadium would and yes there are always ongoing maintenance requirements which the board have to budget for and keep on top of (which they do) but contrary to some rumours it isn't about to fall down. If the club did manage to find a way of redeveloping then you wouldn't be in a race against time it may be old but it could still keep going for some while yet.

One thing that all the clubs boards past and present can hold their heads high on is that they have never shied away from their responsibilities to keep the stadium in the best condition possible and to ensure that it is 100% safe for everyone using it.

Just remember we play at "The Rec" not at "The Wreck" and that is a fair judgement :D
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:35 pm

That's good to hear Richard and I'm sure the Board take ground maintenance and safety very seriously but how can the Club improve the Stadium for fans and the community itself ?
You can have all the surveys and chats you want but the Ground needs investment and the Council need to help them open those investment channels by recognising the issue and dealing with it.
This seems to be the White Elephant in the room that even the Club don't want to talk about ?
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:00 pm

We need to lobby Rushmoor to take more interest in the Rec. Eastleigh Council went out of their way to help Hampshire CC. I know it's not entirely comparable but local councils are allowed to help professional sports clubs for the overall benefit of their area.
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 pm

I know its a bit late in the thread but regarding food at the ground. OK I like good food, but have long since stopped eating food at football grounds, maybe a pack of crisps (not saying they are healthy!) with a pint of TEA or away bitter but IMO the only really decent food at a football ground has been at Kidderminster Harriers or maybe FGR. We all have different tastes and experiences but our food is know where near those clubs but neither are 90% of other clubs.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 am

tonygodfrey wrote:We need to lobby Rushmoor to take more interest in the Rec. Eastleigh Council went out of their way to help Hampshire CC. I know it's not entirely comparable but local councils are allowed to help professional sports clubs for the overall benefit of their area.

I'm with you on that.
Have a look at Farnham Rugby Club (Waverley council I know) and the wonderful facilities they have built just down the road.... For goodness sake Rushmoor have a look around... even at Woking... who use the Big stand for all kinds of summer events.
Rushmoor is a comparitively wealthy borough with no real first class sporting venue. Surely it's time now to change that and build something everyone can be proud of at The Rec.
The football club has put Aldershot on the map for almost 100 years, now bringing TV cameras to the town regularly.
The fact that the stadium doesn't have a proper facility for a TV gantry after 60 years says it all.
The club are tenants and unless they get "a right to buy" or are gifted the land in perpetuity (as it was gifted to Rushmoor council) it must be the Council who redevelop the ground. With millions flooding into the borough in the form of extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built, why isn't the council doing something for the football club ?
It's not right. :twisted:
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
tonygodfrey wrote:We need to lobby Rushmoor to take more interest in the Rec. Eastleigh Council went out of their way to help Hampshire CC. I know it's not entirely comparable but local councils are allowed to help professional sports clubs for the overall benefit of their area.

I'm with you on that.
Have a look at Farnham Rugby Club (Waverley council I know) and the wonderful facilities they have built just down the road.... For goodness sake Rushmoor have a look around... even at Woking... who use the Big stand for all kinds of summer events.
Rushmoor is a comparitively wealthy borough with no real first class sporting venue. Surely it's time now to change that and build something everyone can be proud of at The Rec.
The football club has put Aldershot on the map for almost 100 years, now bringing TV cameras to the town regularly.
The fact that the stadium doesn't have a proper facility for a TV gantry after 60 years says it all.
The club are tenants and unless they get "a right to buy" or are gifted the land in perpetuity (as it was gifted to Rushmoor council) it must be the Council who redevelop the ground. With millions flooding into the borough in the form of extra Council Tax from the 4000 new homes being built, why isn't the council doing something for the football club ?
It's not right. :twisted:

I don't think that the "millions flooding into the borough in the form of council tax" has really started yet. If you're in Aldershot other than for football then take a drive down Queens Avenue and have a look around. Much of it hasn't been built on yet.
greedium

Postby greedium » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Fuggletim wrote:Can something PLEASE be done to sink the dugouts down a little bit? I have heard all the arguments about sunken water pipes etc preventing this, but the club loses so many of the BEST seats in the ground with these dugouts obstructing the view.

Oh yeah, and bring back those pies from " The Real Pie Company" again! If anyone else misses them, you can buy them in the bigger of the 2 x branches of Budgens in Midhurst!

The argument about "sunken water pipes" (whoever first said that meant drainage) is really valid, it would be a major job digging out deep enough to create a steep enough angle to install drainage all the way from the away dugout along under the home dugout and then down to the high street. I know there is drainage in front of the community stand but the angle required to allow the water to flow away properly would take the new drainage below the level of the existing drains. Also I cant imagine Gary and James being too chuffed if you ask them to stand below the level of the pitch, I don't recall seeing many sunken dugouts on my travels round football grounds and I am afraid I think that's for a reason, they don't work well.

Regarding the pies, the club outsources all the catering so they cant really pick and choose what manufacturers the caterers use. When we sold those "Real Pie Company" products back in 2012/2013 they may have been lovely but to sell them at any sort of acceptable price for supporters meant making hardly any profit on them which defeated the whole point of the club running the catering at the time. Now I know that you could argue that better quality will increase sales but in practice even though those pies were well marketed and everyone loved them the actual increase in sales was minimal and went nowhere near covering the loss of profit that we had been making on normal pies.

Do the current caterers sell pies and pasties, if not then although the club cant specify manufacturers they may be able to request a type of product, perhaps that's something whoever joins the Matchday Experience group can ask about.

Or just put the dug outs on the other side of the pitch, in front of the south stand.

Return to “ShotsTalk”