Matchday Experience Meeting

Charles Dickens

Re: Matchday Experience Meeting

Postby Charles Dickens » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 pm

This debate whether Rushmoor Council should or might invest in Aldershot Town FC or even afford the finance, is interesting. I understand that neighbouring Hart Council have recently afforded a huge new leasure facility. They also seem to have plans for other large capital investments.

The contrast is staggering.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Richard Petty wrote:How has this thread that started off so positive become somewhat off topic and turned into an argument about the council and the use of past tense, or present tense in the English being used :(

lets get it back to encouraging people to volunteer to join the group "Matchday Experience Meeting" (assuming the club hasn't already filled the spaces) and then maybe putting some sensible and short term ideas on here that the group can then discuss.

But lets keep the ideas realistic and things that can be acted on this season not things like stadium development which everyone knows is needed but certainly wont be happening this season.

Come on guys the club is trying to do something to make things better, there are no guarantees that the meetings will produce anything dramatic but the more positive ideas people come up with the more chance there is :D

OK Richard, let's focus on all the other things (apart from the football product and ground issues) that could be improved.

Here are my ideas :
1)Action replays on the Video screen and last match highlights too. The club would benefit potentially from Premium advertising rates pre and post screenings. It would be great to see old match highlights too !
2) the club should Sell "Meal Deal packs and do the catering itself instead of losing substantial profits by subcontracting. Fans would use it more and be happier if they thought it helped the Club, which isn't the case with the present arrangements.
3) fix the guttering properly ?
4) In the old 1991-2 days, Trevor Gladwell (ex Chairman) used to sell instant Tea, Coffe and Chocolate from a small trolley along the North Stand during the match. Easy money and appreciated by fans on those cold winter nights especially..
5.) Heat reflective pads for the seats. Loads on the market and could be branded in club crest.
6) Face painting for little kids and bigger kids !
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:10 pm

:)
Last edited by Headley Shot on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Headley Shot wrote:I'd like to post some more thoughts about Matchday Experience following on from a discussion we had with a Sutton fan at the Brentford game. This gentleman was a Groundhopper and committed football spectator. What I mean by that is that he spent all of his leisure time attending as many matches as possible. The more matches attended, the happier he was. So we talked about the Sutton £99 season ticket this year. Woking apparently went to Sutton to ask them how the scheme worked. Apparently, the idea is to get as many people into the ground as possible, then give fans the opportunities to buy merchandise, catering, and bar sales. They have made a big effort to improve their match day catering apparently and the thinking is that people spend far more money on other things if they're in the ground. Sutton have invested in their Social Club and 3G pitches for rental too.
He think the Football League would not have a problem with the pitch if Sutton were promoted.
This chap also travels regularly to Dortmund and Düsseldorf to watch Bundesliga football. He said he spent £35 on an EasyJet flight for the day and £22 for a return train ticket and match ticket (which are sold together). He reckons there are thousands of Brits now supporting these German clubs because it's cheaper and a far better experience than watching a U.K. team.
He follows Borrusia Moenchengladbach and has quite a few German mates now too.
I think that he enjoys his football anywhere but if he watches the match with a friend, it's also a social interaction.
That social interaction with friends at football is what all of us enjoy, so if you're trying to improve a Matchday Experience, you need to think about all of the ingredients needed to make a happy day out with friends that people will want to repeat,
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:23 pm

I like the idea of screening previous match highlights
stevieshot

Postby stevieshot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:28 pm

I like the idea of having my face painted to look like a young Elvis Presley, but I would need some hair as well.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Can you imagine the whole of the east bank having their face painted red and blue
be more scary than the all blacks in NZ.
Pip@B

Postby Pip@B » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

steveclivebaker wrote:Can you imagine the whole of the east bank having their face painted red and blue
be more scary than the all blacks in NZ.

Some might say the Red & Blue would make them less scary.
Nobby

Postby Nobby » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:17 am

Richard Petty wrote:How has this thread that started off so positive become somewhat off topic and turned into an argument about the council and the use of past tense, or present tense in the English being used :(

lets get it back to encouraging people to volunteer to join the group "Matchday Experience Meeting" (assuming the club hasn't already filled the spaces) and then maybe putting some sensible and short term ideas on here that the group can then discuss.

But lets keep the ideas realistic and things that can be acted on this season not things like stadium development which everyone knows is needed but certainly wont be happening this season.

Come on guys the club is trying to do something to make things better, there are no guarantees that the meetings will produce anything dramatic but the more positive ideas people come up with the more chance there is :D

Perhaps because there are some people on this forum who seem to be offended by any attempts by others to be positive and pro-club. :roll:
Richard Petty

Postby Richard Petty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am

Headley Shot wrote:OK Richard, let's focus on all the other things (apart from the football product and ground issues) that could be improved.

Here are my ideas :
1)Action replays on the Video screen and last match highlights too. The club would benefit potentially from Premium advertising rates pre and post screenings. It would be great to see old match highlights too !
2) the club should Sell "Meal Deal packs and do the catering itself instead of losing substantial profits by subcontracting. Fans would use it more and be happier if they thought it helped the Club, which isn't the case with the present arrangements.
3) fix the guttering properly ?
4) In the old 1991-2 days, Trevor Gladwell (ex Chairman) used to sell instant Tea, Coffe and Chocolate from a small trolley along the North Stand during the match. Easy money and appreciated by fans on those cold winter nights especially..
5.) Heat reflective pads for the seats. Loads on the market and could be branded in club crest.
6) Face painting for little kids and bigger kids !

All really good ideas, especially the video replays :)

Re the catering though, don't forget that during the 2012/2013 season we did run all our catering (apart from the away end) and I am sorry to say that by the time you added up the costs of staff, the lease payments on the burger vans, the Insurance, the cost of the food and drink the gas bottles for the vans etc, etc.... we made less profit than we were previously making by outsourcing it. It certainly wasn't for the want of trying as Clair and Michelle who had run the original supporter tea huts for years worked really hard to try and make it work.

We even opened up one of the burger vans down at the front of the ground on non match days to try and make a bit more money. I spent a good few days walking round all the businesses in Aldershot handing out leaflets with a menu on them and even getting permission in some companies to address the staff in person to try and drum up business, we got a bit of trade at lunchtimes but not enough to cover the losses.

If we had purchased second hand vans instead of new ones we would certainly have improved the profit but still probably only made about the same amount as outsourcing. If you could get volunteers to staff them then that would help but who is going to volunteer to run them when they wouldn't be able to watch the football.

Headley you should be one of the people who joins this discussion group as you are a regular contributor on here and do often have good suggestions and although I don't know who you are off this message board I suspect from the way you write that you are someone who would be comfortable in meetings such as the ones the club are promoting.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:00 am

stevieshot wrote:I like the idea of having my face painted to look like a young Elvis Presley, but I would need some hair as well.

Face painting, BOTOX treatment AND a WIG rental for you then Stevieshot ! :lol:
Andyenn

Postby Andyenn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am

Suggestion from my son: Stop playing the dance music just before kickoff - that is exactly when fans want to cheer their team on and it kills the atmosphere.
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:This debate whether Rushmoor Council should or might invest in Aldershot Town FC or even afford the finance, is interesting. I understand that neighbouring Hart Council have recently afforded a huge new leasure facility. They also seem to have plans for other large capital investments.

The contrast is staggering.

The £23 Million investment in Hart is intended to support and encourage the whole of the community to enjoy their leisure time and keep fit and healthy. LA's have a duty to the health outcomes of their inhabitants and this often translates into investment in sports facilities for the use by all who wish to.

Sports Centres are this good value for the investment, promoting a wide range of sports and activities with the facility being in near-constant use for the benefit of the majority. Football clubs struggle to make use of their facilities aside from home games and few are prepared to look at their role in the community beyong when it is percieved to be commercially advantageous to do so. In reality, justifying a football club as some sort of local 'jewel in the crown' will always be a struggle when only 1% of the catchment area show a wavering interest.

There are ways and means of embedding a club in the community. My personal favourite is where Clubs Trust takes the initiative to actually give the local population what they want/can use such as raising money for a Sports Facility in partnership with the LA on the understanding that the Club is allowed prefential access to the facility, i.e. 'we'll help you fulfil your objectives if you help us fulfill ours'. This requires to a deeper level of thinking that 'we are the local football club and we are thus entitled'. That thinking is lazy, misguided and won't lead to anything aside from oblivion.
tonygodfrey

Postby tonygodfrey » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

The point about our ground is that it has been owned by the Council for a long time. Am sure they have been very generous to us in a number of ways but at the moment it is a wasting asset. If it continues to decline it will be of little use to us eventually, and even more importantly to its owners the Council. They don't want a leaky and rusting stadium in a prominent position on their High Street any more than we do.

Not suggesting that they just plough money into it for no reason but Eastleigh Council have shown what can be done in their support for the Rose Bowl.

Any developments would need to benefit the community and be of continued use if anything happened to the football club but nevertheless the presence of a thriving, open and welcoming professional club is a tremendous asset in encouraging community involvement.

The Nepalese centre being very close also helps. There is potential to bring communities together if our ground could be developed to be utilised in a more modern way.

Nothing will happen quickly but as supporters we shouldn't be fatalistic about it and assume that Rushmoor will never want to do anything. If you ever get to chat to a Councillor or candidate mention it to them. Don't be aggressive about it but just mention that the EBB is a great place these days and it would be good if more people could utilise it. Show them that it matters to local people and their community.

Gentle political pressure and prompting, along with skillful work by the club's Board, can bring results.
latimeralder

Postby latimeralder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 pm

The Board are doing a great job of wooing local political bigwigs.

Councillors, MPs and Army top brass are often to be seen having lunch in the EBB Lounge and then watching the game from the Directors Box.

It all helps to give a favourable impression....especially as the crowds grow once again....

Return to “ShotsTalk”