Dr Jim's Ratings .... they're back!

Dr Jim Royle

Dr Jim's Ratings .... they're back!

Postby Dr Jim Royle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 pm

And so the home season commenced, expectations from Shots support seemed to be high, much expected from our Guru and his boys. And in general we were not let down at all from we mostly hoped for, another attacking display with all thoughts focussed on the win.

I’m not sure what I really wanted from this season I tried to clear my mind for a while as I walked from parking my car at Fly Tip Boulevard towards the ground. I took time to admire the historical nature of the town and its buildings. The Victorian cottages draped with smoke stained net curtains within the walls, which may I add sturdily built a designed by non other than Roland W Wiggingbottom & Son whose use of red brick and second hand mortar was legendary of its time. Many shops still trade the same merchandise from the early forties, look around and you can still buy near perfect gas masks and chicken giblets. I stopped for a while and gazed at the Private Shop, tastily painted blue, how many folk remember that this shop alone won their Branch sales award eight years on the trot, a feat never to be done again by any other outlet in that chain.

On arrival at the ground I paid my fees and strolled towards Wally’s, the Burger Hut seemed to be doing a good trade and had a St John’s Stretcher handily placed by the Ketchup stall in case any one fell foul of the Gastro Delights on offer . First person I met in the Bar was none other than Sir Graham Brookland, who ensured I was gutted at not making the long trek up to Halifax. As always Sir G talked sense about the coming season, pretty much agreed with him that if we could match last season that alone would still be a good place to be. Slowly but surely the rest of the Mafia Ratings Crew arrived, seemingly our “youth” element still suffering a hangover from their Saturday away trip. As always the predictions from the game were spread thus at least one person guaranteed bragging rights at correct result.

And so to the game, pretty enjoyable and end to end stuff. Very good crowd, bolstered by 300 plus Turkey supporters, a very good turn out. The Ratings and by order of the FA and in line with other trials within the beautiful game, this season will have HALF MARKS, why cant folk just leave it be eh?

COLE, 6.5 – THOUGHT HE GAVE LAD TOO MUCH TO AIM AT FOR THEIR FIRST GOAL, OTHER THAN THAT PRETTY UNFLAPPABLE.

ALEXANDER, 6.5 – ALWAYS A THREAT GOING FORWARD, DUG IN DEFENSIVELY.

DE HAVILLAND, 6.5 – NOT DOMINANT IN THE AREA DEFENDING BUT GOOD USE OF THE BALL PLAYING OUT.

REYNOLDS, 7.5 – ORGANSISED WELL AND WAS MUCH MORE ASSURED DEFNSIVELY.

ARNOLD, 6.5 – MIRRORED ALEXANDER IN PLAY STYLE.

OYELEKE, 7.5 – COOL UNDER PRESSURE AND WORKED THE BALL WELL.

GALLAGHER, 6.5 – EARLY BOOKING SHACKLED HIM SOMEWHAT AND SEEMED TO DULL A BIT OF HIS PLAY.

TAYLOR, 7.5 – ALL ACTION BUT NEEDS TO SHARPEN UP HIS CLOSER PASSING GAME, SUBLIME GOAL WHICH WAS VERY WELL TAKEN.

ROWE, 8.5 – MOTM, WE LOOK TO HAVE LIGHTLY ALTERED OUR PLAY TO ACCOMADATE HIM IN TEAM AND HE THRIVED ON GETTING THE BALL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WILL BE CROWD FAVOURITE FOR SURE.

FENLON, 7.5 – STARTED SEASON WELL AGAIN, GOALS AND LINK UP PLAY.

McCLURE, 6.5 – PLAYED IN SNATCHES, TESTED KEEPER SEVERAL TIMES, TENDS TO DRIFT OUT OF ACTION A LITTLE OO MUCH.

SUBS
KELLERMAN, 6.5 – STEADY WITHOUT IMPACTING TOO MUCH.
RENDELL, 6.5 – GAVE US A DIFFERENT OUTLET UP FRONT AS WELL AS DROPPING DEEPER WHEN NEEDED TO DEFEND.
OKOJE, 7.5 – THOUGHT HE LOOKED LIVELY AND TOOK GOAL WELL.

SUMMARY

We still cannot defend set pieces which is a real concern for me mainly due to the fact we give away so many cheap and needless free kicks. But no doubting this team will yet again give it their all every game. Love the fact we play attack at so much pace and movement, that unsettles most teams.
Yes, the Ref was utter c**p but unfortunately he set his stall out early and thereafter had to book what seemed trivial fouls on both sides. Torquay looked lively enough, do not think they will struggle this season.
So there you have it, no more Lucky Socks talk, bit of waffle to please The Alan B followers and unless Mr B turns up Saturday, I’m gonna have to do it all again !!
Alex

Re: Dr Jim's Ratings .... they're back!

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Disagree with you about Cole and the Torquay free kick goal.
Luke Young is a decent player, he struck the ball very sweetly and it was perfectly placed in off the post :!:
Not sure any keeper would have saved that hit...
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Alex wrote:Disagree with you about Cole and the Torquay free kick goal.
Luke Young is a decent player, he struck the ball very sweetly and it was perfectly placed in off the post :!:
Not sure any keeper would have saved that hit...

Kind of agree on both parts, it was a perfectly struck free kick but was on the side that Cole was supposedly covering, perhaps he gave too much to aim at or caught a bit flat footed thinking the player would try to get up and over the wall.
Morrissey's Scorcher

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Good read as usual and I agree with most of your thoughts, Manny would have got 8 from me I thought he was superb and McClure would have got 5.5, much like last season very little threat from him and he is still a keeper magnet when he does actually manage an effort. Thought we played some lovely stuff going forward and should have scored more goals, though looked vulnerable at the back missing Will Evans. Delighted to see Shaun Okojie score a great goal, viewing some of his Corinthian Casuals goals he is very dangerous from crosses. Hope he gets a start very soon.
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Half marks!?

Shame on you Dr

And you got McClure wrong - deserved higher than that if only for the superb ball to Fenners for the second goal
Charles Dickens

Postby Charles Dickens » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:20 pm

As usual your football ratings were little strange, why all those half points, you don`t have be so precise this is only a football match?

However JR, I give you a high CD rating for your naration of old Aldershot.I am also sure that my great grandfather, would have recognised
the quaint houses and approved of your descriptive powers. At last a sign of a serious rival to the top rate Alan B. Well done, keep it up!
Alan B

Postby Alan B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

John Betjeman would be proud of you Doctor - I didn't realise Aldershot had a hidden beauty. Or were you burnished by the Aldershot sun as in 'A subaltern's love song'?' Anyway, continue to brush up on your history of Aldershot for Saturday as I'm afraid you will have the dubious honour of the ratings again.

As for me, I'm building up brownie points for future games :wink: . Hoping to come down for the Chester game.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:And so the home season commenced, expectations from Shots support seemed to be high, much expected from our Guru and his boys. And in general we were not let down at all from we mostly hoped for, another attacking display with all thoughts focussed on the win.

I’m not sure what I really wanted from this season I tried to clear my mind for a while as I walked from parking my car at Fly Tip Boulevard towards the ground. I took time to admire the historical nature of the town and its buildings. The Victorian cottages draped with smoke stained net curtains within the walls, which may I add sturdily built a designed by non other than Roland W Wiggingbottom & Son whose use of red brick and second hand mortar was legendary of its time. Many shops still trade the same merchandise from the early forties, look around and you can still buy near perfect gas masks and chicken giblets. I stopped for a while and gazed at the Private Shop, tastily painted blue, how many folk remember that this shop alone won their Branch sales award eight years on the trot, a feat never to be done again by any other outlet in that chain.

On arrival at the ground I paid my fees and strolled towards Wally’s, the Burger Hut seemed to be doing a good trade and had a St John’s Stretcher handily placed by the Ketchup stall in case any one fell foul of the Gastro Delights on offer . First person I met in the Bar was none other than Sir Graham Brookland, who ensured I was gutted at not making the long trek up to Halifax. As always Sir G talked sense about the coming season, pretty much agreed with him that if we could match last season that alone would still be a good place to be. Slowly but surely the rest of the Mafia Ratings Crew arrived, seemingly our “youth” element still suffering a hangover from their Saturday away trip. As always the predictions from the game were spread thus at least one person guaranteed bragging rights at correct result.

And so to the game, pretty enjoyable and end to end stuff. Very good crowd, bolstered by 300 plus Turkey supporters, a very good turn out. The Ratings and by order of the FA and in line with other trials within the beautiful game, this season will have HALF MARKS, why cant folk just leave it be eh?

COLE, 6.5 – THOUGHT HE GAVE LAD TOO MUCH TO AIM AT FOR THEIR FIRST GOAL, OTHER THAN THAT PRETTY UNFLAPPABLE.

ALEXANDER, 6.5 – ALWAYS A THREAT GOING FORWARD, DUG IN DEFENSIVELY.

DE HAVILLAND, 6.5 – NOT DOMINANT IN THE AREA DEFENDING BUT GOOD USE OF THE BALL PLAYING OUT.

REYNOLDS, 7.5 – ORGANSISED WELL AND WAS MUCH MORE ASSURED DEFNSIVELY.

ARNOLD, 6.5 – MIRRORED ALEXANDER IN PLAY STYLE.

OYELEKE, 7.5 – COOL UNDER PRESSURE AND WORKED THE BALL WELL.

GALLAGHER, 6.5 – EARLY BOOKING SHACKLED HIM SOMEWHAT AND SEEMED TO DULL A BIT OF HIS PLAY.

TAYLOR, 7.5 – ALL ACTION BUT NEEDS TO SHARPEN UP HIS CLOSER PASSING GAME, SUBLIME GOAL WHICH WAS VERY WELL TAKEN.

ROWE, 8.5 – MOTM, WE LOOK TO HAVE LIGHTLY ALTERED OUR PLAY TO ACCOMADATE HIM IN TEAM AND HE THRIVED ON GETTING THE BALL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WILL BE CROWD FAVOURITE FOR SURE.

FENLON, 7.5 – STARTED SEASON WELL AGAIN, GOALS AND LINK UP PLAY.

McCLURE, 6.5 – PLAYED IN SNATCHES, TESTED KEEPER SEVERAL TIMES, TENDS TO DRIFT OUT OF ACTION A LITTLE OO MUCH.

SUBS
KELLERMAN, 6.5 – STEADY WITHOUT IMPACTING TOO MUCH.
RENDELL, 6.5 – GAVE US A DIFFERENT OUTLET UP FRONT AS WELL AS DROPPING DEEPER WHEN NEEDED TO DEFEND.
OKOJE, 7.5 – THOUGHT HE LOOKED LIVELY AND TOOK GOAL WELL.

SUMMARY

We still cannot defend set pieces which is a real concern for me mainly due to the fact we give away so many cheap and needless free kicks. But no doubting this team will yet again give it their all every game. Love the fact we play attack at so much pace and movement, that unsettles most teams.
Yes, the Ref was utter c**p but unfortunately he set his stall out early and thereafter had to book what seemed trivial fouls on both sides. Torquay looked lively enough, do not think they will struggle this season.
So there you have it, no more Lucky Socks talk, bit of waffle to please The Alan B followers and unless Mr B turns up Saturday, I’m gonna have to do it all again !!

Having reviewed the highlights of the goals I would say the good dr has been harsh on Cole for the free kick, Young has had to bend the ball around Bobby Joe and Cheye to find the corner, he couldn't have hit it any better.
Dr Jim Royle

Postby Dr Jim Royle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 am

As always the good Dr remains unmoved by the audiences's cries of "harsh". Granted me a**e was firmly glued to a seat in South Stand but from moment free kick was given and defensive line up done before ball even kicked I said be a goal and exactly where player would strike it. And given Jake's position I'll bet even he is gutted he did not save as even height of the ball was not right in top corner. But that's what football is all about, opinions.

And as it happens agree with audience, our third goal was perfectly OK, there Keeper chose to stay rooted behind Rendell and if you ask me he did that just in hope he would get a free kick. Most Keeper "jostle" players out of way in this situation as that usually sways Ref's to say they was impeded.

I'm a harsh man, no Bully or Rob off the Radio, let's say my in match commentary much more colourful !!!

:lol:
PA Shot

Postby PA Shot » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 pm

OK my first post as this was my first game in 10+ years. Each year I try to get to a Shots game when I come back to England, but it rarely works out. Tuesday night was a real treat - really impressed by the team and the beautiful passing game they play. I met up with on old school friend for the game (a Hammers fan) and he also really enjoyed the match. Long may it continue. As an exile, I would like to thank Jim and Alan for the ratings and game descriptions that have helped me stay in touch while living in the USA, as well as the live game threads that I follow every Saturday morning (US time).

Return to “ShotsTalk”