Attendance

lanternhall
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am

Attendance

Postby lanternhall » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Two things. Thought that we were superb yesterday. Considering our start and how we finished last season thought attendance was pathetic. Does this town want a football team?.

A lot of posts about Mensah who I think is a fantastic player. Playing like we are. How will he get in team?. Who do you drop?
GuyB
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Attendance

Postby GuyB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:38 pm

lanternhall wrote:Two things. Thought that we were superb yesterday. Considering our start and how we finished last season thought attendance was pathetic. Does this town want a football team?.

A lot of posts about Mensah who I think is a fantastic player. Playing like we are. How will he get in team?. Who do you drop?



On the attendance, it has historically gone down quite a bit on the first Saturday home game compared to the Tuesday fixture earlier in the week. One of those strange phenomenon - let's hope for some 3,000+ gates before too long (perhaps after August).

Reckon it comes down to rotation when Bernard is fit - but a great problem for GW.
86/87 Glory Year
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm
Location: Away End

Re: Attendance

Postby 86/87 Glory Year » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Agreed. The attendance was "Pathetic" as you describe. Still think we will average 2,700. - 3,000 if we are challenging for the title. Our biggest games of the season are against Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Sutton and Dagenham all coming in September and October. Should see decent away support also. We have a very good squad brimming with pace and ability. They really do deserve the best support Aldershot and the surrounding areas can give.
Wokingham Eastbank
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Wokingham

Re: Attendance

Postby Wokingham Eastbank » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm

I wouldn't say the attendance was pathetic with it still being holiday season (I and many others are still away) and not everyone can afford to attend every game, especially if they are only a few days apart and they have families to consider. I have to pick and choose my games because to attend with my kids would cost me the best part of £50 once you factor in food, drinks, etc. Some people are just not in the financial position to be able afford to attend every game, good for you if you and others are, but for those that are not there every week should not be labelled pathetic as I'm pretty sure that there are many people in the same position as me.
Disturbed Postie
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Attendance

Postby Disturbed Postie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:13 pm

86/87 Glory Year wrote:Agreed. The attendance was "Pathetic" as you describe. Still think we will average 2,700. - 3,000 if we are challenging for the title. Our biggest games of the season are against Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Sutton and Dagenham all coming in September and October. Should see decent away support also. We have a very good squad brimming with pace and ability. They really do deserve the best support Aldershot and the surrounding areas can give.

Agree about disappointing attendance although away following was about 300 less yesterday than Tuesday but home 400 less which is quite bizzare!
Morrissey's Scorcher
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Location: Planet Zog

Re: Attendance

Postby Morrissey's Scorcher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:15 pm

After such a excellent start and the entertaining game we saw with Torquay to get less than 2k on a nice Saturday afternoon is indeed disappointing, @300 locals found something else to do or £40 in a week is too much. This phenomenon of getting a lower gate from Tuesday to Saturday seems to happen a lot, maybe folk heading to a Premier League game?

Bernard is a must start for me, but I'm glad I don't have to select the team!
Hereford Shots
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: Undy, South Wales

Re: Attendance

Postby Hereford Shots » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm

It's not that we don't want to attend every game but for some of us it's not possible. Of the group of 8 of us that stood together on the Eastbank for Torquay, 2 were working yesterday and the 3 of us that live in Wales just find it too expensive to come down for every game!
Aldershot_Rob
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Faversham

Re: Attendance

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Wokingham Eastbank wrote:I wouldn't say the attendance was pathetic with it still being holiday season (I and many others are still away) and not everyone can afford to attend every game, especially if they are only a few days apart and they have families to consider. I have to pick and choose my games because to attend with my kids would cost me the best part of £50 once you factor in food, drinks, etc. Some people are just not in the financial position to be able afford to attend every game, good for you if you and others are, but for those that are not there every week should not be labelled pathetic as I'm pretty sure that there are many people in the same position as me.



Spot on. Agree 110% and being in a similar situation understand completely.
stevieshot
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Attendance

Postby stevieshot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm

The truth is that the football season starts at least 2 weeks too early. 30 years or so ago there wasn't such an overlap between the Cricket and Football seasons. I would rather see the Football start in September. Then you wouldn't clash with summer holidays etc. I myself haven't seen a game so far this season,as I'm recovering from Prostate surgery. And have to pee too frequently, 8 times during the Guisley game. The crowds will come back in a month or so.
Disturbed Postie
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Attendance

Postby Disturbed Postie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:43 pm

stevieshot wrote:The truth is that the football season starts at least 2 weeks too early. 30 years or so ago there wasn't such an overlap between the Cricket and Football seasons. I would rather see the Football start in September. Then you wouldn't clash with summer holidays etc. I myself haven't seen a game so far this season,as I'm recovering from Prostate surgery. And have to pee too frequently, 8 times during the Guisley game. The crowds will come back in a month or so.

Hope your recovery continues!
RC
Site Admin
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Attendance

Postby RC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Agree on lots of this. I dont like august football its just too soon.

I made it to Torquay, but went to the athletics in london yesterday (having booked tickets a year ago), and then we go on our main summer holiday - missing next Saturday.

I an sure there are many like me who can only make an odd game in August....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scorp
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: England

Re: Attendance

Postby scorp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm

stevieshot wrote:The truth is that the football season starts at least 2 weeks too early. 30 years or so ago there wasn't such an overlap between the Cricket and Football seasons. I would rather see the Football start in September. Then you wouldn't clash with summer holidays etc. I myself haven't seen a game so far this season,as I'm recovering from Prostate surgery. And have to pee too frequently, 8 times during the Guisley game. The crowds will come back in a month or so.


I meant to ask how the op went. OK? There are several issues immediately after it [and that last several days at least] that affect many who've had the op, but they fade away. The problem you refer to re the Guiseley game will ebb away [or dribble away :-)] and you'll be back to the normal of the past in the not too dim and distant. It's a genius op on that front.
Richard Petty
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Attendance

Postby Richard Petty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree with all of the "understanding" posts in this thread, they are all good reasons why many couldn't attend yesterday, work and finances being two very important reasons but I think holidays and family commitments are the main reasons why Saturdays in August are a bit of a challenge.

When I was younger and went with my parents on summer holiday it was always this weekend in August that we went and many of my friends families chose the same weekend, personally I do believe that the two weeks in august leading up to the bank holiday are still the most popular for people going away.

The other thing that you have to remember about Saturdays in summer is that there is always something going on somewhere that attract whole families for the day and many staunch football fans will willingly (or unwillingly) sacrifice their football in order to spend time with their families at those other events.

The other thing that cannot be underestimated is the damage to attendances that having such dull football prior to Gary's return did to us. The attendances will recover as we continue to play entertaining football again but one season was not enough to get everyone back, it will take time and we must be patient and not get on the backs of those who for now don't have the same level of commitment to the shots as some of us do.
lanternhall
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Attendance

Postby lanternhall » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Wokingham Eastbank wrote:I wouldn't say the attendance was pathetic with it still being holiday season (I and many others are still away) and not everyone can afford to attend every game, especially if they are only a few days apart and they have families to consider. I have to pick and choose my games because to attend with my kids would cost me the best part of £50 once you factor in food, drinks, etc. Some people are just not in the financial position to be able afford to attend every game, good for you if you and others are, but for those that are not there every week should not be labelled pathetic as I'm pretty sure that there are many people in the same position as me.

I apologize to you sir. Just because you are not in a finical position to attend every game , does not mean that you are not a solid supporter of the team.

My post was more directed at missing fans of bygone years. We have a vast catchment area and for a team once again being successful, I believe the attendance was low.
lanternhall
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Attendance

Postby lanternhall » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Wokingham Eastbank wrote:I wouldn't say the attendance was pathetic with it still being holiday season (I and many others are still away) and not everyone can afford to attend every game, especially if they are only a few days apart and they have families to consider. I have to pick and choose my games because to attend with my kids would cost me the best part of £50 once you factor in food, drinks, etc. Some people are just not in the financial position to be able afford to attend every game, good for you if you and others are, but for those that are not there every week should not be labelled pathetic as I'm pretty sure that there are many people in the same position as me.

I apologize to you sir. Just because you are not in a finical position to attend every game , does not mean that you are not a solid supporter of the team.

My post was more directed at missing fans of bygone years. We have a vast catchment area and for a team once again being successful, I believe the attendance was low.

Return to “ShotsTalk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ACA, DelhiBoy, Google [Bot], Norwich Nick and 39 guests