Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Anon E Mouse

Re: Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Postby Anon E Mouse » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Oliver11 wrote:Don't think many understood your original post Latern - the point i think we both are making is that little forward thinking / progression ever happens just like the original club.

Wouldn't it be great to have a updated Rec, better facilities. More connection with the local community/schools etc etc. Not just how the team are doing and league we are in.

Doing this stuff will give the club a platform to eventually grow into forfilling our dreams not just stay stagnant or worse.

That's my biggest frustration with us that we will be looking at the same falling down stadium with little money for ever.

Repeat, it's not falling down !
Oliver11

Postby Oliver11 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Yeah cos it looks great as it is.

Bet your slippers have holes in the toes too......
latimeralder

Postby latimeralder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 pm

After the absolute nightmare of the thought of no ATFC in 92 I am very happy to be where we are now.
Whats wrong with being a good non league team with a good chance of reaching league 2 soon.
We have a lovely old ground, a good football team and over 2000 supporters that's good enough for me.

I couldn't have put it better.

Hear hear!
Andrew Richardson

Postby Andrew Richardson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Separate clubs for me. I support(ed) both but I've always seen AFC and ATFC as different.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Oliver11 wrote:Yeah cos it looks great as it is.

Bet your slippers have holes in the toes too......

I don’t own any slippers. Keep up.

It’s a bit odd that we seem to be arguing and yet want the same thing.
Stay at the Rec and upgrade bit by bit when we can afford it.
Until then let’s enjoy it with all the positives it brings
Fuggletim

Postby Fuggletim » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 pm

I have followed the Shots since 1979. The club today is a different club, but to me it is still "Aldershot" FC. The close season in 1992 was a bit longer and at times more soul searching than usual, but in effect things just carried over for me, albeit at a rather different level.

Not sure what the context of lanterhall's original post was about, but I read in a football book years ago that the original Aldershot were a modest little club, with much to be modest about. The meteoric rise up theough the non league pyramid gave many (myself included) something we were not used to being Shots fans: i.e.: sustained success.

I think we have reached that plateau again now where we were between 1926 and 1992; a modest little club.

However that is part of the charm of being Shots fan in my view, and I think many fans of the less glamorous clubs who play at the lower levels of football.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:09 am

Fuggletim wrote:I have followed the Shots since 1979. The club today is a different club, but to me it is still "Aldershot" FC. The close season in 1992 was a bit longer and at times more soul searching than usual, but in effect things just carried over for me, albeit at a rather different level.

Not sure what the context of lanterhall's original post was about, but I read in a football book years ago that the original Aldershot were a modest little club, with much to be modest about. The meteoric rise up theough the non league pyramid gave many (myself included) something we were not used to being Shots fans: i.e.: sustained success.

I think we have reached that plateau again now where we were between 1926 and 1992; a modest little club.

However that is part of the charm of being Shots fan in my view, and I think many fans of the less glamorous clubs who play at the lower levels of football.

1979 was my favourite year of the old club. We had a good side and also there was the Shrewsbury cup tie who we play tomorrow. Still can't forgive Malcolm Crosby.

Are you and other supporters content in being a modest little club? Does that fulfill your ambition? If so that is fine.
Shots1954

Postby Shots1954 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:29 am

I saw my 1st game Easter 1966 and gave loved the club since no matter what entity.
Fuggletim

Postby Fuggletim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:37 am

I have always been realistic when it comes to football. To be honest, I don't think I am ever going to see the Shots grace the Premier League, win the FA Cup or win the Champions League, and I am quite content with that. Promotion back to the Football League, possibly a jaunt back up into League 1, or a trip up into or the Championship even, and a few good cup runs etc would keep me happy.

I am just happy to have a local club to watch!!
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:35 am

Fuggletim wrote:I have always been realistic when it comes to football. To be honest, I don't think I am ever going to see the Shots grace the Premier League, win the FA Cup or win the Champions League, and I am quite content with that. Promotion back to the Football League, possibly a jaunt back up into League 1, or a trip up into or the Championship even, and a few good cup runs etc would keep me happy.

I am just happy to have a local club to watch!!

That is fair enough. I respect you for that.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 am

Lets get one thing straight the Council don't own the ground, they have custody of it. In short they cant sell it.
They will only invest money in it proportional to the benefits it brings to the area.
Our only hope is that all the new development on ex Army grounds in the area will filter more revenue into the club, with larger crowds.
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am

shotshammo wrote:Lets get one thing straight the Council don't own the ground, they have custody of it.

Yes and no. My understanding is that it was left to the people of Aldershot and that technically and legally, ownership was thus assumed by the Council on behalf of the community. I also heard from a respected source that a strip of land runs through the ground that is owned by the MOD. The railway company most definitely owns a strip of land to the south side.

What seems to be elusive are the details of the said covenent.
New recruit

Postby New recruit » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am

I have followed football in the town since 1967 but I look at it this way ....If a shoe shop was to go bust and another Shoe company was to take over that shop is it the same company ,the answer is no ....So with this in mind I see Aldershot FC and Aldershot Town as two seperate clubs....Aldershot FC were liquidated ,wiped off the face of the earth ,back in 1992 administration was not an option , no paying 2p in the pound and just carry on , therefore the club ceased to exist and Aldershot Town were born
stevieshot

Postby stevieshot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:56 am

I know what you are saying NR. But The Shots still played in the Red & Blue and at The Rec. So will always be linked COYS
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am

shotshammo wrote:Lets get one thing straight the Council don't own the ground, they have custody of it. In short they cant sell it.
They will only invest money in it proportional to the benefits it brings to the area.
Our only hope is that all the new development on ex Army grounds in the area will filter more revenue into the club, with larger crowds.

Much rumour, speculation and/or guesswork over time regarding ownership of The Rec so this is my take (and occasional understanding) on the matter. The land was given over to the council for the benefit of the town's people by a benevolent lady (one who I'm assuming had more than 'a couple of bob'). When the club's founders wanted somewhere to call home the council said that they could use The Rec. However, as there was (allegedly) a covenant on it the council had to get legal permission for this to happen. It ended up in Parliament and the outcome was that as long as another suitable piece of land of equal size could be found and used for recreational purposes then the fledgling club could use The Rec. Aldershot Park became that suitable piece of land. As to whether or not the original covenant was kept on The Rec, transferred to Aldershot Park or just annulled, I don't know.

Return to “ShotsTalk”