Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

stevieshot

Re: Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Postby stevieshot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:03 pm

More worrying is that MOD and The Railway have a stake in the ground.
Red-n-Blue

Postby Red-n-Blue » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:34 pm

stevieshot wrote:More worrying is that MOD and The Railway have a stake in the ground.

More worrying is that ATFC don't have a stake in the ground.

I've been supporting The Shots for 36 of the 46 years I've been on the planet. I have to be honest, though - the last few years have really taken the magic from supporting my home town club. From 1992 to 2012, I couldn't have been more passionate about the club. I never missed a home game in those 20 years and went to roughly half the away games. Having stood on the terraces as a kid and watched us play the likes of Wolves. Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, Fulham, Reading, et al, it suddenly felt like WE were the big fish in a small pond. Like all good things, though, it came to an end when we reached our long-term aim of a return to the football league. In some ways, it was proved to be a poisoned chalice and where things started to go wrong.

I now only attend about half the home games each season.

For me, in now feels like the club is treading water. We have no obvious ambition and the bruises of financial mismanagement still haven't healed. I simply don't feel inclined to pour my heart and soul into a club that, I fear, probably won't last another decade. We have too many aging fans who resent even the discussion of change, and there are simply too many other ways for the youth to spend their time and money. If you look at the likes of Reading and Brighton, they've made a trip to watch football a family day out - excellent facilities, a great view of the game, and what every fan craves - success on the pitch. What have we got to attract those families, and the next generation of Shots fans?

I keep seeing posts about "soulless plastic stadiums" and "losing the atmosphere" - I understand that after many decades of visiting The Rec, any move would be hard for some, but we have to accept our beloved ground is nearing the end of its life. Nothing in this world is forever, including The Rec, and as long as we keep shoveling cash into a ground we don't own, we'll never progress. You only have to look back to the 66 years from 1926 to 1992 to see whats in store for us - stagnation and a constant struggle to balance the books.

My apologies for such a gloomy post. Maybe now I'm middle-aged, I've become a little cynical, and I do wish sometimes I could still be that wide-eyed kid who stood behind the High Street goal. Life moves on though, and priorities change. Sadly, my little old club hasn't changed, and that is why I can't see a rosy future for it.
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:

I've been supporting The Shots for 36 of the 46 years I've been on the planet. I have to be honest, though - the last few years have really taken the magic from supporting my home town club. From 1992 to 2012, I couldn't have been more passionate about the club. I never missed a home game in those 20 years and went to roughly half the away games. Having stood on the terraces as a kid and watched us play the likes of Wolves. Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, Fulham, Reading, et al, it suddenly felt like WE were the big fish in a small pond. Like all good things, though, it came to an end when we reached our long-term aim of a return to the football league. In some ways, it was proved to be a poisoned chalice and where things started to go wrong.

For me, in now feels like the club is treading water. We have no obvious ambition and the bruises of financial mismanagement still haven't healed. I simply don't feel inclined to pour my heart and soul into a club that, I fear, probably won't last another decade. We have too many aging fans who resent even the discussion of change, and there are simply too many other ways for the youth to spend their time and money. If you look at the likes of Reading and Brighton, they've made a trip to watch football a family day out - excellent facilities, a great view of the game, and what every fan craves - success on the pitch. What have we got to attract those families, and the next generation of Shots fans?

I keep seeing posts about "soulless plastic stadiums" and "losing the atmosphere" - I understand that after many decades of visiting The Rec, any move would be hard for some, but we have to accept our beloved ground is nearing the end of its life. Nothing in this world is forever, including The Rec, and as long as we keep shoveling cash into a ground we don't own, we'll never progress. You only have to look back to the 66 years from 1926 to 1992 to see whats in store for us - stagnation and a constant struggle to balance the books.

My apologies for such a gloomy post. Maybe now I'm middle-aged, I've become a little cynical, and I do wish sometimes I could still be that wide-eyed kid who stood behind the High Street goal. Life moves on though, and priorities change. Sadly, my little old club hasn't changed, and that is why I can't see a rosy future for it.

Many of us realise this and I for one don't see a recognition of the facts as gloomy at all. Recognising where we are and facing painful truths is the first step in making plans to progress. The candy floss world that many are led to believe exists by vested interests is not real. It is a delusion. Those with the Ostrich mentality and the happy clappers need to start to understand this. That's if they actually care. I believe many of them actually don't and take things for granted.

I agree the club appears to be treading water, but maybe that is part of the strategy in that the plan is that proving that it can be self-supporting is an attractive feature for a potential buyer. But the lack of any visibility of what might be in store should be enough to initiate exploration into 'what if' type scenarios. This is in the gift of the Trust Board. Make no mistake about that. The responsibility falls squarely on their shoulders.

I believe it is essential that we, as the fans, are privy to exactly what the long term plan is, in terms of exactly how football in Aldershot will be secured long-term. If there no answer to this is forthcoming from the powers that be (they are under no obligation to share details of any vision they might have), then the Trust board needs to start working out what might be possible and how to get there. This should be the priority above all else.
Oliver11

Postby Oliver11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Sensational post Red n Blue - if your not growing your basically dying.

I think a lot are in your way of thinking hence the declining support.

I could handle being in the national league if ground improvements / being pro active / have long term plan we're in place.
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Oliver11 wrote:Sensational post Red n Blue - if your not growing your basically dying.

I think a lot are in your way of thinking hence the declining support.

I could handle being in the national league if ground improvements / being pro active / have long term plan we're in place.

Albert Einstein wrote:The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

I would modify it thus:

A definition of insanity is witnessing the same thing being done the same way repeatedly and expecting change.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:
stevieshot wrote:More worrying is that MOD and The Railway have a stake in the ground.

Respect your view even if I disagree with some of it.
Can I ask what exactly are the facilities that you crave that you aren't getting ?
Also do you not have an excellent view ? If not why, you can sit or stand with the full view of the pitch if you choose not to position yourself behind a post. There is enough room.
If the football is good, which it has been for the last 18 months give or take, does it matter what type of ground we are in. We have one of the best pitches in the whole of football so not sure what it is that you really want, other than a way to generate more money to have better players which obviously we would all like.
Will the club be here in 10 years time ? I suspect it will, but it may need us Middle Agers to keep coming and at least generating money that way. If we all give up and stay away of course it will surely die. I won't be in that category as long as I'm breathing.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 pm

All the talk about a new ground or modernising The Rec, it comes down to money. We can accuse the Board of not being ambitious etc but without finance it won't in my view happen. Out of choice, I would like the club to stay at The Rec, ideally with a major overhaul. I'm also in the camp of 'why should RBC put money into it!' If a much bigger percentage of the local population attended games then it could be argued that it would be beneficial to the town but with our gates of around 2,000, that wouldn't be morally right. The club needs to find the a monied backer that won't lumber us with 'impractical' debt or have us over a barrel. As they say, 'good luck with that'.
With regard to a new ground, what in my view needs to be taken into consideration is that 'the borough of Aldershot' is not that large and suitable space for this new ground (with additional space for extra income sources ie 3G/4G pitches) is at a premium. The MoD land that's been made available is prime building land and is required for housing and its associated facilities. If you have Google Earth on your PC, tablet etc then have a look. Bear in mind that if you find a piece of land will it be suitable/acceptable both for the club and local residents and/or businesses?
I know that the club needs to move on, I only wish that I had a sensible solution.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Red-n-Blue wrote:

Can I ask what exactly are the facilities that you crave that you aren't getting ?
Also do you not have an excellent view ? If not why, you can sit or stand with the full view of the pitch if you choose not to position yourself behind a post. There is enough room.
If the football is good, which it has been for the last 18 months give or take, does it matter what type of ground we are in. We have one of the best pitches in the whole of football so not sure what it is that you really want, other than a way to generate more money to have better players which obviously we would all like.
Will the club be here in 10 years time ? I suspect it will, but it may need us Middle Agers to keep coming and at least generating money that way. If we all give up and stay away of course it will surely die. I won't be in that category as long as I'm breathing.

The club won't be here in ten years without supporters. Where are the young fans? What do the club have to offer them? Why would they choose to come and watch us?
RuislipShot

Postby RuislipShot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

There was quite a few young fans even trying re buy beers at the ground, I think they will have to be here in years to come, if only to be old enough to buy a beer
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Red-n-Blue wrote:

The club won't be here in ten years without supporters. Where are the young fans? What do the club have to offer them? Why would they choose to come and watch us?

Once again, loads of young fans at the game following their team yesterday.
If you are old you tend to stand / sit with your kind.
Look around, watch an away day on a train, plenty of young ones.

I really don't see this as an issue. Someone said the other days, the young fans love the Rec.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 am

The point you all seem to miss re. young supporters is, they are still playing football themselves, they haven't got fed up with the games apps on their i pads, they are not in a relationship where a break from routine is an absolute necessity. Being a supporter of a club for most people evolves through time. None of my grandchildren ( I have 9) are interested in going regularly to watch football matches, but I'm sure when they are older and earning a living their priorities will change and becoming a supporter in real terms will be an option in their lives.
Being probably one of the longest and oldest supporters and have had a go at everything involved in football, I just want to sit and watch football with a great bunch of people, have a moan and a laugh, jobs a good'un. I have enough serious stuff going on in my life so don't ever get stressed out re the future of Aldershot football club.
Yes I applaud the younger fans for wanting better for the club, but they must temper ambition with reality. Re the future of clubs like Aldershot the league system caters for all levels of ambition, we are where we are for a reason, so patience is a must.
P.S. We are witnessing how fickle success is at the moment within the club, that is football for you, we are a great club and I'm confident things will get better on all levels.
Swedishshot

Postby Swedishshot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 am

Fuggletim wrote:I have always been realistic when it comes to football. To be honest, I don't think I am ever going to see the Shots grace the Premier League, win the FA Cup or win the Champions League, and I am quite content with that. Promotion back to the Football League, possibly a jaunt back up into League 1, or a trip up into or the Championship even, and a few good cup runs etc would keep me happy.

I am just happy to have a local club to watch!!

Agree with this
Red-n-Blue

Postby Red-n-Blue » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

shotshammo wrote:P.S. We are witnessing how fickle success is at the moment within the club, that is football for you, we are a great club and I'm confident things will get better on all levels.

I doff my cap to you, sir - but as a fan of many years, would you say things are better today than they were in, say, the 1960s, or 1970s?

The world has changed beyond all recognition and football is no longer the only entertainment option for the youth of today. Speaking as a father of two teenagers, I'd say it's actually pretty low on their list of options, well, as far as supporting their local team is concerned (my son goes to Chelsea 7-8 times a season).

I have a middle-aged friend who lives in Fleet but works in Aldershot. He had no interest in football until his young sons started getting interested. Fast forward ten years and they're all season ticket holders at Reading, and attend every home match as a family. I asked him why he never took his family to Aldershot. His reply: "My boys said Aldershot aren't a proper football club."

Make of that what you will but it's not how we see our club, but how those outside see it.

Please excuse the motoring analogy but we love The Rec in the same way some people love old cars because they're full of nostalgia and old world charm - but how many old cars do we see on our morning commute? The next time you drive past a poor bloke stood on the edge of the road in the pouring rain, next to his broken down MG, consider if you'd swap your soulless modern box with his relic. At the moment, our club is an Austin Allegro - a few people love it but most don't, and never will. We're well past the time to upgrade.
Ian M

Postby Ian M » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Same club... same ground, same town, same colours, same people....

Very little has changed since I was first brought here by my dad when I was about 10... 40 years ago... Football at the top has got wealthier and clubs at the bottom have fallen further behind... SO, unless one of you is chummy with the Aga Kahn or similar, no radical change coming our way either than the continued risk of extinction!

But, its ours and we love it! (I suppose)
Alf W

Postby Alf W » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 am

I first started watching Aldershot (FC) back in 1976, those days were something else!The East Bank was unsegregated and match days could be as much or more lively off the pitch as on. I recall scores of Millwall skinheads taking over the East Bank and Pompey and Crystal Palace seemingly taking over the whole ground!

I regard Aldershot and Aldershot Town FC as the same....They are the club that represents the community and I still see positives for the future but much will for me depend upon regeneration of the town centre itself . The town is a working class football hub but these days its about the whole day experience , not just the 90 minutes and I feel a lot of families etc will not unfortunately venture into Aldershot with its lack of decent shops and littering of alcoholics and drug users etc........

I remain optimistic when we have leaders such as Azeem and Waddock at the helm and I see a backlash against Premiership football for 'real', local football in time to come......

Some things never change however and the away game experience at Maidenhead recently demonstrated that historic rivalry is alive and kicking and the vitriol isn't confined to a few aged Shots envious fans but equally shared by the fans of THAT club across the Berkshire border !

Return to “ShotsTalk”