Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Red-n-Blue

Re: Aldershot Town and Aldershot f.c.

Postby Red-n-Blue » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 pm

I often pass by Rushmoor Arena and wonder what purpose it serves. A tract of land big enough for an entire sports complex yet it sits there virtually redundant.

We live in one of the most affluent parts of the country, surrounded by military land that is seldom used these days. Surely there must be a suitable location and development opportunity nearby? Wimbledon managed to secure a new home in London for crying out loud.

Then again, if you have no desire to even look...
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 am

To say there is no effort for improvement in the club when we've just secured Championship quality training facilities, be-lie's the quote "The club is doing nothing to improve things".
The throw away comments, your getting too old and are satisfied with the "status quo" doesn't wash with me. I'm as ambitious for the club to improve as anyone else.
ShotOnTarget

Postby ShotOnTarget » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:I often pass by Rushmoor Arena and wonder what purpose it serves. A tract of land big enough for an entire sports complex yet it sits there virtually redundant.

We live in one of the most affluent parts of the country, surrounded by military land that is seldom used these days. Surely there must be a suitable location and development opportunity nearby? Wimbledon managed to secure a new home in London for crying out loud.

Then again, if you have no desire to even look...

The reasons why there is no desire to look comes as a very painful realisation. Claims of ambition are perhaps true, but should be qualified with caveats acknowledging the constraints that exist.

There IS money available to Sports based organisations. There IS money available to Community organisations. What the Trust should be doing is collating a list of possible sources of funding and explaining to the supporters the reasons why they cannot be pursued. It's the Trusts role to look to the future and seek options, adopting the position of 'critical friend'. It's the 'critical' bit that seems to be the problem.

In terms of a scheme to secure a stadium that will last several more generations, I fear that the race against time is perhaps already lost. Even Usain Bolt couldn't win a 100m race if he was instructed to start running 8 seconds after the starting pistol.
CH

Postby CH » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Start a fund to place a proper stand at the west side of the ground, while attempting to gain planning permission, doesn't have to be huge, maybe something similar or slightly smaller than woking's. If you can incorporate changing rooms, offices, and at a stretch, conference facilities, a proper club shop and a bar etc all visible and accessible from the high street, then all well and good. If the planning permission fails, the money can be ring fenced for other projects.

Should it all go ahead the clubs staff can be moved out of the current offices, freeing up the north side for development, which could include pulling the pitch away from the railway, slightly.

This may all seem pie in the sky, but without the first step, you'll never know, get a few sponsors and grants in place, and go from there. If it takes 20 years, then so be it.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 pm

CH wrote:Start a fund to place a proper stand at the west side of the ground, while attempting to gain planning permission, doesn't have to be huge, maybe something similar or slightly smaller than woking's. If you can incorporate changing rooms, offices, and at a stretch, conference facilities, a proper club shop and a bar etc all visible and accessible from the high street, then all well and good. If the planning permission fails, the money can be ring fenced for other projects.

Should it all go ahead the clubs staff can be moved out of the current offices, freeing up the north side for development, which could include pulling the pitch away from the railway, slightly.

This may all seem pie in the sky, but without the first step, you'll never know, get a few sponsors and grants in place, and go from there. If it takes 20 years, then so be it.

That is exactly what we should do.
Put that Astro pitch behind the East Bank and we get to keep the Rec and make some money.
All the want awayers can then have their so called missing facilities and we can keep our upgraded and atmospheric home with all its history and transport links.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:03 am

Let's be realistic and honest. Nothing is going to happen. The club will just plod on for a few years untill another administration. No-one has any vision.
Anon E Mouse

Postby Anon E Mouse » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:27 am

lanternhall wrote:Let's be realistic and honest. Nothing is going to happen. The club will just plod on for a few years untill another administration. No-one has any vision.

Can't disagree.
Aldershot_Rob

Postby Aldershot_Rob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 am

Things won't just happen over night. There is no magoc wand, ans to be fair,nI feel progress is being made.
If you can see the demise, why not try and make a difference?
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:51 am

I have supported Aldershot for 40 years. and nothing has happened overnight. I'm losing sleep!
Vonpinkus

Postby Vonpinkus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:26 am

Some supporters on here seem to have short memories,not long ago there was a huge chance that there would not be a football club in Aldershot. The rescue plan was an eleventh hour reprieve and did happen overnight.
I have lived in Ash and Aldershot all my long life supporting the shots.
To say there is no vision is a little strong as you only have to read about the new trading complex that has been agreed with the use of the army stadium facilities.
It has taken no doubt a great deal of time and effort from people at the club to get this in place, if they had no vision or plans for the future of the club why would they bother.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 am

The future of the club is a new ground. Don't believe that I hear a lot about that.
Ancient Shot

Postby Ancient Shot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 am

Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean nothing is happening
Vonpinkus

Postby Vonpinkus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:50 am

But why is it a new ground? Surely getting back to wining ways and then out of this league is more important.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 am

Vonpinkus wrote:But why is it a new ground? Surely getting back to wining ways and then out of this league is more important.

No the future is important. A long term ideal. Not just surviving from season to season. I have said it before. We were playing Reading, Bournemouth, Shrewsbury and Brighton a few years ago. Why have they progressed and not us? Answer is they built a decent ground.
Headley Shot

Postby Headley Shot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:10 am

Ancient Shot wrote:Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean nothing is happening

On the other hand, not hearing from Ernie doesn’t mean I’ve won the Premium Bonds.
It’s far more likely nothing is happening when people are told that A “Big Announcement” is imminent but they need to keep quiet about it too !
That was 2 years ago and we’re still in the dark.

Return to “ShotsTalk”