Shaun Okoji , Chris Arthur and Mark Smith

Ed-Shot

Shaun Okoji , Chris Arthur and Mark Smith

Postby Ed-Shot » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 am

As we approach a busy time of the year, I wonder what will happen with the above players? Hopefully, Rendell and Fenelon have minor issues which will settle down this week, but by all accounts, Robert is facing a spell on the side-lines which is a shame.
I have not seen Okoji at the ground and he didn't seem to be at Bromley either. Has he gone AWOL ,Injured, or sent on gardening leave to perhaps consider his position? If he is not in GW's thoughts whatsoever, then we need to free-up a salary.
The Arthur situation is a strange one for me. He is known by GW from his QPR days, and he spoke highly of him but something is clearly wrong. He certainly isn't a Straker but I have seen worse . I thought at times he actually looked a little disinterested. His physical presence was an asset and was a good crosser but the management have seen something which doesn't please them in what is proving a problem position. The salary situation applies here as well.
My group I sit with spoke with Scott Bevan at the Fylde game and he made an off the cuff remark stating that we could have Lewis Ward for the season. Whether he has authority to make such decisions remains to be seen. If that turns out to be true, where does that leave Smith?
Ancient Shot

Re: Shaun Okoji , Chris Arthur and Mark Smith

Postby Ancient Shot » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:10 am

Robert's loan is up next week so we have seen the last of him sadly

His injury will be Forest Green's problem now
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

I think Okojie, Arthur and Smith will all be on their way out shortly, hopefully allowing GW to go the New Year sales. At this stage I'd trade two of them for one in-form striker.

Robert impressed and doesn't even have a squad number at FGR. If the injury clears up quicker than expected I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him. The lad seemed to really enjoy his time at the Rec.
Alex

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 am

Not the end of the world if Arthur and Smith leave, IMO.
Chris isn't good enough now and definitely wouldn't be for League Two.
I like Mark as a person (plus I've got his yellow poppy shirt) but he's looked shaky when he's played and there'll be plenty of other keepers who can replace him.
I'd like to think we'll keep Okojie and give him another chance/more time to impress.
Yes agree with others, we should definitely try to sign Robert if and when the option becomes available to us.
Chobham Shot

Postby Chobham Shot » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm

The whole defence was shaky when Smith came in and he was left exposed time and again. A bit unfair to criticise him. But if we get to keep Ward for the season, I expect Smith to leave in January.

I think Arthur was carrying an injury in his last few appearances but had to play due to our injury crisis. I think he's on loan to get games and match fit so I'm expecting him to return.

Okojie is currently out of his depth at this level. But if he is responsive to the coaching and being around better players, he could be one for the future. I suspect though, he hasn't shown sufficient enough improvement and will be on his way in January.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Agree that in Mark's two appearances that the defence was far from good, Mark did make some erratic decisions but can only really fault him personally for the third goal against Barrow. Why the defence looked even worse with Mark in goal could be down to lack of communication from Mark and perhaps not being use to Mark, which after training with him for 18 months shouldn't really be a reason.

GW obviously feels Okojie isn't ready, we took on a young striker from lower down thinking that he was ready to make this step, seeing as he had interest from league clubs and trialled with one or two it seemed like a promising signing. He is young and could still be a good striker for us, but he has to work hard and have the right attitude. Do we write him off and try to sign him if and when he is ready or do we persevere?

Arthur, I'm not sure what it is that is stopping him from getting games, whether it is fitness or that GW doesn't think he is good enough. Can't say that Arthur has been to blame for any bad performances and whilst not as good as Arnold or Straker I wouldn't say he has been awful. His signing did come across as a bit desperate though in that we needed a left back and he was available.
lanternhall

Postby lanternhall » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

None of them are good enough. Get rid. Off wage bill . Buy a left back.
Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

lanternhall wrote:None of them are good enough. Get rid. Off wage bill . Buy a left back.

I posted this about Big Shaun in the Torquay match thread :-
"If he's under contract until summer then unless there's a 'by mutual consent' situation or a transfer (with a sell-on clause, just in case he finds his shooting boots elsewhere), he'll remain our player". I'm assuming that the contract issue applies to all three players. If GW wants to move them on but they don't want to go then I don't see an easy solution to the perceived problem unless of course they are loaned out and the borrowing clubs foot their wages.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Torquays left back Liam Davis looks a good player 30 years old though.
Dr Jim Royle

Postby Dr Jim Royle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:51 pm

All three lads under contract so unlikely to be that easy to "ship" out.

Arthur looked unfit from day one.

Smith never really imposed himself as a real No1 contender.

Okoji is not as young as you'd think in footballing terms, at 22 years old if he had it in him to progress you'd think he'd have kicked on by now.

I'm sure GW will want to freshen the squad up post Christmas and it'll be interesting times.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Birdman wrote:
lanternhall wrote:None of them are good enough. Get rid. Off wage bill . Buy a left back.

I posted this about Big Shaun in the Torquay match thread :-
"If he's under contract until summer then unless there's a 'by mutual consent' situation or a transfer (with a sell-on clause, just in case he finds his shooting boots elsewhere), he'll remain our player". I'm assuming that the contract issue applies to all three players. If GW wants to move them on but they don't want to go then I don't see an easy solution to the perceived problem unless of course they are loaned out and the borrowing clubs foot their wages.

Last season when we let Jack Saville and Charlie Walker go they signed for St. Albans near enough straight away so I’m guessing that we allowed them to look for a new club and released them once they had. I think Smith could get a conf south club. Arthur has played regularly for Whitehawk so may be could find a club as well. Okojie has a great scoring record so someone will take him on if he became a free agent.

With Okojie though we may end up with an Aaron McLean situation, gone for next to nothing then sold for a 6 figure fee before becoming worth a couple of million, although Shaun isn’t as good as Springs was though at his age.
Alex

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Okojie has joined Eastbourne Borough (National League South) on loan until 1st January...

Good luck big man :!: :)
Last edited by Alex on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greedium

Postby greedium » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:07 pm

04/12/2017

Striker Shaun Okojie has joined National League South side Eastbourne Borough on loan until 1 January 2018.

The 22 year-old recently returned from a spell in the same division with Wealdstone, and now joins goalkeeper Mark Smith at Priory Lane.

The Sports, who also include former Shots players Charlie Harris, Ian Simpemba and Jamie Taylor in their squad, are currently 15th in the National League South table, with Okojie available for their next six matches.

We wish Shaun well in his move.
Mick Earls Fan Club

Postby Mick Earls Fan Club » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Sent off to the seaside never to be seen again?
chimpster99

Postby chimpster99 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Last chance saloon perhaps. I was informed that his loan at Wealdstone was cut short due to his attitude/discipline, although of course that is unconfirmed. Came back and was strangely left out of the squad when we were short on numbers, and has now been shipped out. I suspect he needs to go and knuckle down and bang in a few this month or it’s curtains.

Return to “ShotsTalk”