Rooney Rule

FloridaPhil

Rooney Rule

Postby FloridaPhil » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

Surely, people should be given a job based on their suitability or their skills, not based on their race or colour?
Richard Petty

Re: Rooney Rule

Postby Richard Petty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 pm

FloridaPhil wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

Surely, people should be given a job based on their suitability or their skills, not based on their race or colour?

I had that exact discussion with someone less than an hour ago.

Equality should mean equal not advantaged which is now becoming the case
CH

Postby CH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Completely backward
Ian M

Postby Ian M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Of course folk should get jobs based purely on their skills and experience....

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask why there is such a disparity between the percentage of "non white" players in the game and the percentage of non white managers... It's odd at best!
Kingfield Shot

Postby Kingfield Shot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm

This Rooney rule has been talked about for years. The question being is do non white people actually want to manage or coach football? The job is too stressful with pressure and long hours, as well as the pay being poor. Much better to be a summeriser. You only have to ask the BBC, ITV, and Sky Experts. For instance names like Ince, Kamara, Jenus, Murray, Roberts, and Particularly Ferdinand who would rather start boxing than pass on his knowledge. You can not force people to do a job that they don't want to do. However nothing beats Englands Bowling star Pundit Bob Willis, who once went out to bat against the Aussies without a bat.
Old Boy

Postby Old Boy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

What happens if a black,Asian or minority background person doesn't apply for a job with the FA.
Ian M

Postby Ian M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Well, examples of applications and not getting interviewed are fairly common....................

Kingfield Shot - are you really saying non white people who have been in football since they were kids will have a different disposition to be coaches/managers than white people? That's daft.

......... and "Old Boy".................. you cannot interview someone who hasn't applied
Kingfield Shot

Postby Kingfield Shot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm

[quote="Ian M"]Well, examples of applications and not getting interviewed are fairly common....................

Kingfield Shot - are you really saying non white people who have been in football since they were kids will have a different disposition to be coaches/managers than white people? That's daft.

How is that daft? I am absolutely positive that the named people in my previous message would rather get a large pay day from the TV companies for a few hours work, than work every day and get the abuse that managers have to put up with! I hope that is clearer for everyone.
HampshireHorse

Postby HampshireHorse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 am

No idea why anyone would have a problem with this.

It doesn't guarantee anyone a job just an interview. Clearly there's something odd going on given the lack of ethnic diversity amongst managers. I don't think England could have found worse managers than they've recently picked anyway so you could argue almost anyone could be interviewed on merit!

It'll upset the poisonous Daily Mail and their poor readers so that'll be good.
Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Postby Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 am

God forbid anyone should not share your world view..

People have a problem with it because it creates a system whereby people are offered jobs just because the colour of their skin and not because of their suitability for the job.

If you take this to its logical conclusion the Engalnd National Team will end up being run by the village people.
James Frazer

Postby James Frazer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am

Perhaps the solution might be to look at the interviewing panel rather than the candidates. Perhaps a more diverse panel will be better able to select candidates on ability. This could be applicable across all industries.
shotshammo

Postby shotshammo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm

One of the obvious problems of being a top flight manager is the diversity of nationalities in a squad, each has their own prejudices, re religion, colour, way of life etc, etc. The argument that a coloured person would struggle to manage this scenario is a valid one.
This is one of the few countries where the level of prejudices re different up bringing's, has by necessity decreased, because of our multi cultural society.
Unfortunately though for many footballers in the top levels, their lives are transient, so the need to change their ideals is not so demanding.
Even at our level you can see a special bonding of the black players in a team, bringing with it a vastly improved tight knit style of football.
Which brings me to the thought, how wonderful it would be if we could get Kanu back here on loan, where he would enjoy his football with his mates and improve his talent even more.
I personally feel that black footballers in the main like attacking football and there's the rub, the modern game leans towards firstly getting the defence in order then worrying about the attacking side of the game.
aldershot-jg

Postby aldershot-jg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

As someone who is catergorised as having a disability the diversity ruling is something that would work to my advantage. If had good credentials but didn’t get an interview because someone with less qualifications, skill and experience was used to fill a diversity quota then I’d be a tad annoyed.

They say that not enough are getting managerial positions but I’d be interested to know how many are actually applying and how many have trained to get the relevant coaching badges.
steveclivebaker

Postby steveclivebaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Easy one for me this. BEST applicant should get the job. Whoever they are.
Ian M

Postby Ian M » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Kingfield Shot wrote:
Ian M wrote:How is that daft? I am absolutely positive that the named people in my previous message would rather get a large pay day from the TV companies for a few hours work, than work every day and get the abuse that managers have to put up with! I hope that is clearer for everyone.

It's daft because the issue about why a segment of society are massively underrepresented in one role in an industry, when the are hugely prominent in another role in the same industry.

The fact that some individuals may prefer to work in media rather than becoming coaches/managers is certainly true, but that isn't the point at issue in the first.

Return to “ShotsTalk”