EPL. Insane money

Post Reply
shots1965
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma usa
EPL. Insane money

Post by shots1965 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm


Fuggletim
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Fuggletim » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 am

Silly money for a competition, although based, in England, does little to enhance anything to do with English football.

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

Time to cancel those Sky and BT subscriptions.
Going to cancel my Sky this week.

ChrismasShot
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:11 am
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by ChrismasShot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Just like the housing market will eventually, it'll implode and the only people it'll effect are those at the bottom!

Richard Petty
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am
Time to cancel those Sky and BT subscriptions.
Going to cancel my Sky this week.
Not sure that I follow why you are showing anger against Sky & BT Sport, surely if you are that anti the high prices for TV Rights then any blame for the previously escalating cost lies with the Premier League as they are the ones that have been forcing the prices up over the last few years.

The new deal is only worth 4.4bn whilst the current deal done in 2015 was worth 5.5bn so you could argue particularly in the case of Sky that they are in fact saying enough is enough and that there does have to be a limit to what they are prepared to pay. The games they have secured are all at a lower cost per game than they were last time. BT Sport have paid more per game than they did last time but they had to if they were to stand any chance of increasing the number they get to show

The other thing that has to be considered is that if Sky and BT had not succeeded in getting the number of games they have then there would be more games potentially going to online only sites like Netflix. Amazon and even Twitter who are now looking to show live games and are in fact likely to pick up some of the overseas games that did not sell, surely we should be supporting TV companies like Sky and BT to keep Premier League games on normal TV channels and therefore available to most of the UK population.

Being a bit controversial here is it really that bad that prices for TV rights are high, lets not forget that if we get promotion back into League Two then we will be benefiting from a percentage of that TV Rights money, any reduction in the amounts paid to the Premier League will actually cost us money.

stevieshot
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Guildford
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by stevieshot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Good post and good points Richard.

Anon E Mouse
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:29 pm
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am
Time to cancel those Sky and BT subscriptions.
Going to cancel my Sky this week.
Not sure that I follow why you are showing anger against Sky & BT Sport, surely if you are that anti the high prices for TV Rights then any blame for the previously escalating cost lies with the Premier League as they are the ones that have been forcing the prices up over the last few years.

The new deal is only worth 4.4bn whilst the current deal done in 2015 was worth 5.5bn so you could argue particularly in the case of Sky that they are in fact saying enough is enough and that there does have to be a limit to what they are prepared to pay. The games they have secured are all at a lower cost per game than they were last time. BT Sport have paid more per game than they did last time but they had to if they were to stand any chance of increasing the number they get to show

The other thing that has to be considered is that if Sky and BT had not succeeded in getting the number of games they have then there would be more games potentially going to online only sites like Netflix. Amazon and even Twitter who are now looking to show live games and are in fact likely to pick up some of the overseas games that did not sell, surely we should be supporting TV companies like Sky and BT to keep Premier League games on normal TV channels and therefore available to most of the UK population.

Being a bit controversial here is it really that bad that prices for TV rights are high, lets not forget that if we get promotion back into League Two then we will be benefiting from a percentage of that TV Rights money, any reduction in the amounts paid to the Premier League will actually cost us money.
Not really purely down to money Richard, just with a busy life, young family, new responsibilities, I need all my spare time to watch the Shots, I can’t justify the large and ever increasing costs (charged to me) that they charge and always feel sad when small teams face extinction for less than 1 players monthly pay packet.
World gone mad.

Shotto
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Alberts town
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Shotto » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

The current deal is likely to be worth in excess of the 2015 one, as it is not yet complete. Two packages are still to be agreed.

ganesh
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: aldershot
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by ganesh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm

it's only insane if they lose money on the deal - given that the EPL is the one the whole world wants to watch I think they are pretty much going to at least break even and add to that the clamour for advertising on all sky and bt channels and radio stations because of that brand then it makes commercial sense.

this in turn leads to the massive wages being paid by the top clubs, to the worlds best players, which attracts even more interest.

as a regular visitor to the gambia, apart from real Madrid and Barcelona they all support EPL clubs and even in a poor country like that they try and get sky and if they can't they watch the games on a sunday in a cinema who shows the matches live and guess pay a subscription

it is a great british success so let's enjoy it for what it is

Richard Petty
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Farnborough
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Shotto wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm
The current deal is likely to be worth in excess of the 2015 one, as it is not yet complete. Two packages are still to be agreed.
The two remaining packages didn't reach the reserve price which is the reason they are still available so even if sold directly to someone at the reserve price level that will still leave the overall package below the level of 2015.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 pm

It’s all about greed, pathetic, what Leicester did 21 months ago was a nice reminder of the days when clubs like forest, Everton, villa, Leeds , Ipswich and soton either win the league or came very close to winning it without spending millions and millions!

shots1965
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma usa
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by shots1965 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Leeds did win EPL 92
First team to do so
Howard Wilkinson
Only English manager to win the premier

Meanwhile, shots were playing Diadora div 3

COYS

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

shots1965 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm
Leeds did win EPL 92
First team to do so
Howard Wilkinson
Only English manager to win the premier

Meanwhile, shots were playing Diadora div 3

COYS
Not quite mr 1965, Leeds won the last first Division and we were in the 4th division!

Stenhouse
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Farnborough
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Stenhouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Watford get more tv money than all of the clubs in Scotland.

Stenhouse
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Farnborough
Re: EPL. Insane money

Post by Stenhouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm
Watford get more tv money than all of the clubs in Scotland put together.


Post Reply