Potential new signings thread

Richard Petty
Re: Potential new signings thread

Post by Richard Petty » Sun May 13, 2018 11:40 am

When it comes to assessing footballers a lot of fans do tend to have very entrenched opinions on players, they are either wonderful and cant ever do anything wrong or useless and cant do anything right. The truth is that just like anyone doing a job sometimes they do it really well and sometimes they don't, its called being human. Through my 40 year working life I certainly made a few mistakes along the way but fortunately I always worked for (or with) people who balanced those occasional mistakes against the things I did well just as I did with people who worked for me.

Its always the mistakes that people seem to remember rather than the achievement's, personally I hope Will Evans stays as over the whole season he has been a strong, committed and effective member of the team.

Shot through (& throu

Post by Shot through (& throu » Sun May 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Some people on this board forget what league we play in. They should remember that if players at our level weren't prone to making the odd mistakes they would be playing at a higher level. I wish they would just stop complaining and support the lads instead of constantly keep moaning about certain individuals and destroying their confidence.

Shotford

Post by Shotford » Sun May 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Couldn’t agree more - anyone who has never made a mistake at work is not human - why do we judge footballers any differently. For me it’s about commitment and effort plus learning from mistakes. In this respect we there may occasionally be grounds for criticism but there is really no place for blame.
Everyone would benefit - players, managers, fans and the club - if we just got behind the players and stayed positive. We have a choice as it’s nearly always a self fulfilling prophesy - positivity mostly makes for a positive outcome, negativity the reverse......and no I don’t think there is no place for criticism, of course there is but it needs to be measured and preferably constructive

aldershot-jg

Post by aldershot-jg » Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 pm

I like Will, yes he makes the odd mistake now and then but he is largely a good strong centre back. His first season he learnt the hard way, lost his place after the FGR red card and the only reason he regained his place was because Dion Conroy left, but he played a huge role in that end of season run. This season when he made a similar mistake with his red card against Macclesfield he was lucky enough to get his spot right back which was harsh on Fowler who seems to be the scapegoat this season.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:28 pm

I can't see any new signings or resigning of some of the players we want to re-sign as I understand our Manager has gone on holiday! Or am I miss informed?

Trouts

Post by Trouts » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:28 pm
I can't see any new signings or resigning of some of the players we want to re-sign as I understand our Manager has gone on holiday! Or am I miss informed?
some time off? - outrageous!!

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Trouts wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
It's not about time off its about the playing squad and as a business we need it sorted, players these days don't hang about and I feel we are going to lose a few we want to keep and potential signings.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 am

It's going to be a long summer

GuyB

Post by GuyB » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 am

Shots1954 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm
Trouts wrote:
Shots1954 wrote:
It's not about time off its about the playing squad and as a business we need it sorted, players these days don't hang about and I feel we are going to lose a few we want to keep and potential signings.
There will have been activity going on all the time in terms of player recruitment and even if GW is away on a well-deserved break, you can bet he will still be on the phone.

In addition, there will have been deals done and players released, declined offers or players signed up again which are simply not in the public domain as yet. No news release does not equate to nothing done.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

GuyB wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 am
Shots1954 wrote:
Trouts wrote:

There will have been activity going on all the time in terms of player recruitment and even if GW is away on a well-deserved break, you can bet he will still be on the phone.

In addition, there will have been deals done and players released, declined offers or players signed up again which are simply not in the public domain as yet. No news release does not equate to nothing done.
Let’s not forget that Shots players are under contract until next month, so no one is leaving before their contract with the Shots is finished. Therefore, this is a perfect time to have a holiday 😊

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

May is always the favoured time for managers to go on holiday as very little can be done with prospective players as most will still be under contract just as ours are. Mid to late June is when I would expect to see some activity and then by the beginning of July into mid July you get the drip down effect coming into play as League Two players become available at our level due to not getting offers from other League Two clubs.

Its way to early at this stage to be getting worried about new signings
Last edited by Richard Petty on Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Spot on Richard and yet it happens year after year with people worrying.

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm
GuyB wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 am
Shots1954 wrote:

Let’s not forget that Shots players are under contract until next month, so no one is leaving before their contract with the Shots is finished. Therefore, this is a perfect time to have a holiday 😊
I don't think so. The enquiries and phone calls happen much earlier. I know I have been there and done it.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Yeah.

Waddock out

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

Well he's certainly not in if he's on holiday Ancient. :lol: