First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post Reply
A Shot from Wales
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am
Location: Exmoor, north Devon and Wales
First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by A Shot from Wales » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Yes, unbelievably it was someone who played 100 games for Aldershot...a long forgotten story ....

I don’t have time to write a piece, but check out George Raynor...Sweden 1958.

80fc
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by 80fc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 pm

A Shot from Wales wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm
Yes, unbelievably it was someone who played 100 games for Aldershot...a long forgotten story ....

I don’t have time to write a piece, but check out George Raynor...Sweden 1958.
Joe Mercer another "Aldershot" player to have managed England

FloridaPhil
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 am
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by FloridaPhil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Did Alf Ramsey play for Aldershot during world war 2?

Lord Of The Dance
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:55 pm
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by Lord Of The Dance » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Been said many times, worked with George for a few months, you could not meet a nicer man and knew his football

Ian M
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:09 am
Location: 5 miles from Chepstow, Monmouthshire
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by Ian M » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Crikey...what a story. How have I never heard this?

FloridaPhil
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 am
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by FloridaPhil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Ian M wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Crikey...what a story. How have I never heard this?
Its been mentioned on here a few times.

Statto
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Aldershot
Re: First English manager to take a team to the World Cup Final

Post by Statto » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 pm

FloridaPhil wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm
Did Alf Ramsey play for Aldershot during world war 2?
No.


Post Reply