World Cup.....Club missed a trick this summer

South Stand Blue
World Cup.....Club missed a trick this summer

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Club could possibly have made a few £ during the summer

If clubs like Leatherhead can why couldn't we have done something similar?

https://www.leatherheadfc.com/news/3561/show

Tongham Shots
Re: World Cup.....Club missed a trick this summer

Post by Tongham Shots » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:11 pm

South Stand Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Agree 100% Sean, I am still hoping that they may announce something for Wednesday or at the very least for Sunday if we make it. 8)

johnclark50

Post by johnclark50 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Maybe the bar manager is on holiday!

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 pm

johnclark50 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:20 pm
Maybe the bar manager is on holiday!
Maybe he is,maybe he isn’t. Also why not open on Cup Final day etc.
Forward planning perhaps :wink:

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Tongham Shots wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:11 pm
South Stand Blue wrote:

Agree 100% Sean, I am still hoping that they may announce something for Wednesday or at the very least for Sunday if we make it. 8)
Keep hoping Rob :roll:

Tongham Shots

Post by Tongham Shots » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:07 pm

South Stand Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 pm
Tongham Shots wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:11 pm
South Stand Blue wrote:

Keep hoping Rob :roll:
Certainly not holding my breath, Sean. :roll:

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Yeah the right I think mate :lol:

Mick Earls Fan Club

Post by Mick Earls Fan Club » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Ive mentioned this on another thread previously.

Local clubs like Hartley Wintney have been open for matches & Farnborough have been doing special offers on beers during games.

I guess the difference between us and them is the set up.

They use their social club most days of the week as a major source of income.

We really only use ours on match days.

sgibbs

Post by sgibbs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm

We wanted to open as much as possible during the World Cup, believe me, but because of changes in how the bars are run and who is running them over the summer, the handover period unfortunately fell during the last few weeks and put paid to our plans.

These changes, though, will allow the Club to open our bars much more frequently in future, and hold other non-matchday events.

Vonpinkus

Post by Vonpinkus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 am

Hi Steve
Just curious to know who is now running the bars and will we have proper glasses instead of plastic?

greedium

Post by greedium » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 am

All these other clubs have social clubs, they’re open every day, ours are not, so there’s no comparison there.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am

A couple of years ago, the Club asked supporters for suggestions as to what improvements could be made.
I put forward the idea of a proper social club running 6 or 7 days a week would be a move in the right direction.
I believe the Chairman agreed at the time too, saying it was a good idea.
Sub contracting the bars out is not the same thing and surely if there is profit for private companies running them,why does the club persist in the sub contract model ?
A private sub contractor has no interest in promoting the community values or boosting local job creation either.
The plastic glasses are because they don’t have to wash them but that is dissuading many from spending their time and money in the bars. It can only be resolved through a properly run and managed hospitality business model.
If it all comes down to money, then what is the point of investment in the club ?
The World Cup has been a lost opportunity and for Steve to explain the problem being a lack of time getting new contractors on board is laughable tbh.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 am

Headley Shot wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am
A couple of years ago, the Club asked supporters for suggestions as to what improvements could be made.
I put forward the idea of a proper social club running 6 or 7 days a week would be a move in the right direction.
I believe the Chairman agreed at the time too, saying it was a good idea.
Sub contracting the bars out is not the same thing and surely if there is profit for private companies running them,why does the club persist in the sub contract model ?
A private sub contractor has no interest in promoting the community values or boosting local job creation either.
The plastic glasses are because they don’t have to wash them but that is dissuading many from spending their time and money in the bars. It can only be resolved through a properly run and managed hospitality business model.
If it all comes down to money, then what is the point of investment in the club ?
The World Cup has been a lost opportunity and for Steve to explain the problem being a lack of time getting new contractors on board is laughable tbh.
Franchising gives the club certainty over income - the risk is with the "sub contractor"

Plastic glasses are nothing to do with washing up. Pretty sure there's a regulation about these because nearly every club use them before and during a game. Proper glasses after the game are allowed

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am

There once was a social club attached to the football club. It was open 7 days a week and was usually pretty much empty for at least half of the time. The Sportsman’s Club was probably losing money long before it was closed down. Unfortunately, I cannot see there being much chance of a social club thriving - too many supporters are obviously not local and would probably only use the facility on match days & the odd major sporting event. Look how many pubs have closed down in the past few years - people’s habits have changed and so has the local population.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:02 pm

James Frazer wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am
There once was a social club attached to the football club. It was open 7 days a week and was usually pretty much empty for at least half of the time. The Sportsman’s Club was probably losing money long before it was closed down. Unfortunately, I cannot see there being much chance of a social club thriving - too many supporters are obviously not local and would probably only use the facility on match days & the odd major sporting event. Look how many pubs have closed down in the past few years - people’s habits have changed and so has the local population.
Mainly people’s habits have change because it’s £4 a pint.
Went out with a small bunch of work colleagues the other day and the round was almost £60. Most can’t afford that other than on a few special occasions.