World Cup.....Club missed a trick this summer

FloridaPhil
Re: World Cup.....Club missed a trick this summer

Post by FloridaPhil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:21 am

Headley Shot wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 am
A couple of years ago, the Club asked supporters for suggestions as to what improvements could be made.
I put forward the idea of a proper social club running 6 or 7 days a week would be a move in the right direction.
I believe the Chairman agreed at the time too, saying it was a good idea.
Sub contracting the bars out is not the same thing and surely if there is profit for private companies running them,why does the club persist in the sub contract model ?
A private sub contractor has no interest in promoting the community values or boosting local job creation either.
The plastic glasses are because they don’t have to wash them but that is dissuading many from spending their time and money in the bars. It can only be resolved through a properly run and managed hospitality business model.
If it all comes down to money, then what is the point of investment in the club ?
The World Cup has been a lost opportunity and for Steve to explain the problem being a lack of time getting new contractors on board is laughable tbh.
This!

FloridaPhil

Post by FloridaPhil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:23 am

greedium wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 am
All these other clubs have social clubs, they’re open every day, ours are not, so there’s no comparison there.
No, there's no comparison - they're small and part time we're bigger and full time!! :o

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 am

Hopefully the bars will be better then for new season as that would certainly help in trying to attract more people in before the games. Maybe try and do a deal with a brewery etc. Also I personally think the choices of beverages on offer could be looked at.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am

James Frazer wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am
There once was a social club attached to the football club. It was open 7 days a week and was usually pretty much empty for at least half of the time. The Sportsman’s Club was probably losing money long before it was closed down. Unfortunately, I cannot see there being much chance of a social club thriving - too many supporters are obviously not local and would probably only use the facility on match days & the odd major sporting event. Look how many pubs have closed down in the past few years - people’s habits have changed and so has the local population.
The old social club used to be run and owned by the Supporters Club.
Unfortunately, the football club directors at the time wanted the asset sold so they could have the money.
The same thing happened with the houses the club owned locally.
So the Sportmans Club was run down gradually, in short, it was milked for every penny they could get out of it.
Breweries and suppliers were not paid and the building and decoration allowed to fall into disrepair.
Yes James, nobody was interested in it but for you to suggest the idea that nobody in Aldershot would want a proper
Social club/modern restaurant/conferencing/entertainment facility because of apathy is completely ridiculous and seems to be defending the shocking truth that Aldershot FC do not have this most basic of social facilities for their fans.

GuyB

Post by GuyB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am

Richard Petty wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm
I am still fuming over going to a pub last week and paying £3.90 for a pint of Lemonade and Lime, the cost price for that would have been pennies not pounds.
Wow! That's 70p in my local - including a slice of fresh lime!