Nikki Bull

Private Godfrey
Nikki Bull

Post by Private Godfrey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 am

When I'm listening to the coverage of Aldershot games on BBC Radio Surrey I always make a point of staying tuned to the end of the broadcast to hear the interviews and the general chat that goes on. Sad I know! After GW's interview following the Halifax game the interviewer (not Rob as he is on holiday) asked GW if he had heard about an interview Nikki had done on BBC Radio Surrey. The interviewer asked Gary if he would comment on it. Gary said he knew about the interview but had not listened to it so declined to comment although the interviewer mentioned some of the content including about job offers that Gary had received to which Gary confirmed that was the case.

I listened to the interview that went out on 'Sport in Focus' on BBC Surrey last Tuesday. It is fascinating to listen to as Nikki pulled no punches. He essentially said that the club should consider going part time. His reasoning was that the club is no longer a big club as non league clubs go and has been overtaken financially by teams such as Sutton, Bromley and Boreham Wood. Nikki ponted out that other clubs had cherry picked our best players which we can't disagree with. He also said that several deals that Gary had virtually tied up in the Summer went belly up at the last minute. Because Gary's track record of unearthing new talent is so well respected agents would play this off maybe against 7 or 8 clubs with higher budgets and the player in question would secure a deal worth an extra £500-£600 a week (let's be honest any of us would feel obliged to do the same thing). Nikki also said while our club's transfer budget maybe the same as last year in buying terms it is worth less because of the new money coming into the league. He also said that since GW came back he has totally resurrected the club and to achieve the play offs for 2 seasons is a miracle and he can't over emphasise what an achievement that is. He finished off by saying that Gary turned down job offers last year because he wanted to get the club back in the league and if he was to leave the club it could fall like a house of cards and be a Torquay or York.

Thought this was a fascinating interview and means that all Shot supporters should realise how lucky we are to have GW as the club's manager.

supershots
Re: Nikki Bull

Post by supershots » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:10 am

Good post GW :lol:

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:50 am

Nikki Bull should mind his own business.

latimeralder

Post by latimeralder » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 am

While a great Shots servant back in the mists of time, it is now nearly 10 years since Nikki B had any direct connection with ATFC.

So he's missed Dillon, Holdsworth, Scott and Smith. As well as a very near-death experience.

I'm sure if Gary or the BoD want his advice they can find his phone number under Leatherhead FC - who are currently 17th in the Isthmian Premier.

Till then, I think he should concentrate on his own business, not ours.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 am

Well now part time v full time ...... wrap it up how you like, still all about what money you pay for who. Most players will still say on their CV that they are pro footballers, end of.

As for out bids just because Aldershot involved ..... TOSH ..... agents don’t give a Tom T*t they play one off against another whether it be Shots V Bromley or West Ascot United v Bromley for a player .... trouble is most players don’t give a toss either, they go to whom lines the pockets come what may.

Chesterfield are right in the poo if NB theories are correct.

GW job offers .... Barnet and ?????? ..... Just who are we talking about, remember a certain persons quote .... the grass isn’t always greener ...... GW I believe. H

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 am

I know the players aren’t on 52 week contracts anymore which Gary Waddock confirmed in the Q&A when he attended the recent Shots Trust AGM

oakshot

Post by oakshot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 am

As much as I respect Nikki Bull, he should concentrate on he's own club affairs and not ATFC's.

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am

Niki Bull is a club legend and I like to hear what he has to say. He wears his heart on his sleeve which means he can say some emotional things at times and maybe says dramatic things but there is probably some truth in what he is saying. I don’t buy into we are not a big club at this level anymore. Our crowds have dropped recently but if we pull up the league and entertain the crowds will return. I notice Barnets crowds are down to the 1,000 mark despite being football league last season. Of course, we don’t have a sugar daddy which means we are always going to play second fiddle to clubs like Salford. What usually happens to clubs like that?? Rushden & Diamonds or Darlington etc.

As for the manager. I would accept we have a very good manager for this level. However, it is a two way thing. For example if another club started the season like we have the manager could quite legitimately be sacked for a poor start despite previous good seasons. I like to think the past two seasons have been excellent from the manager and he always deserved time to turn things round. I hope the manager stays for a long time and does build something for the future. A football league team with our redeveloped ground.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am

I agree with those who’ve said Bully should keep his nose out.

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

Surely, going part time would attract very few decent players. Any of the players we have at the moment would want full time football and so would not sign anyway.

DonnyDarko2012

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 am

South Stand Blue wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 am
I know the players aren’t on 52 week contracts anymore which Gary Waddock confirmed in the Q&A when he attended the recent Shots Trust AGM
Aren't they? When did we announce that?

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am

Personally I think there is some truth in what Bully is saying, but also quite a bot of hogwash too. The guy is still passionate about Aldershot and appears to have connections into the club still, however it does seem there's quote a bot of conjecture and heresay in some of his comments. The transfer market at this level has been skewed by the increasing influence of agents - something we as a club haven't bought into based on the survey last year. However we will almost always lose out to those willing to line the pockets of these vultures and to pay the extortionate wages that some players now earn in the National League.

I'm of the view that we're mid-table team financially so we will win some and lose some along the way. When things go right for us we can compete at the top end and when they don't we will struggle. This summer things didn't go to plan with the vultures whisking Manny, Callum and Cheye away - but Gary is doing an admirable job of sorting things now.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 am

I like Nikki Bull as a player and as a person but I am surprised he would give such an interview and also surprised at anyone who would support him doing so. He may have been a "Club Legend" when he was with us and I hope will always be welcome back to visit us when ever he wishes to do so but for the manager of another club (no matter what their previous connection) to discuss the private affairs of another manager and to give "Advice" to our directors on how the club should be run is not really something I would consider appropriate and I am disappointed in him doing so. Contrast that with Gary who when asked by Rob if he would like to comment declined as he would never get involved in discussions like that.

The other thing is that Nikki is trying to give the impression that he has the inside track and knowledge of Gary and our club that we as supporters don't have and yet if you review the things he has said there is nothing in the content that has not previously been in the public domain and even here on Shotsweb including approaches for Gary that he and the club declined. Perhaps Shotsweb is his "source"

To briefly focus on the content of his interview it is true that because so many former league clubs have now dropped into non league we are not the giants of the non league that many considered us to be back in the old days but we are still one of the better supported and as 86/87 Glory years points out success on the pitch will bring many of the floating supporters back.

In terms of going part time I believe that do so would be to resign ourselves to being a non league club forever, it might not be impossible to get promotion with a part time team but the odds would be hugely stacked against us. The other thing is that if you want to get the very best part time players then you could find that your paying not far short of a lower full time budget so yes you could save a bit of money but not as much as some people think.

Lastly to address his suggestion that the club would "Fold like a pack of cards" if Gary left, I find that disrespectful to the club and wildly exaggerated, no one person is bigger than the club no matter how good or popular they may be. If Gary were to leave at some point in the future I for one would be gutted and probably would panic a bit inside for a while because in my opinion he is the best manager (although Terry Brown comes very close) that the club has ever had in my 23 years as a supporter. However there are also many other excellent managers out there and whilst they may not be our Ginger Mourinho there would be a very long list of applicants and if the right one is chosen could easily become a new "Best manager we ever had"

Nikki is seen by many as a club legend, he is many peoples favourite shots ex player and a lovely chap but he has shown great misjudgement on this occasion and I hope that in future he concentrates on his own club and keeps his opinions on the shots limited to congratulating us on wins or commiserating if we lose.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 am

DonnyDarko2012 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 am
South Stand Blue wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 am
Aren't they? When did we announce that?
Not sure if we did, but GW was answering a question put to him at the Trust AGM

His reply was Contracts would end either at the end of the normal league season or after the play-offs if appropriate.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 am

Club legend?

"Left" in 2008 only to re-sign a few days later (causing John McGinty much stress in the process)

Left in 2009 "to pursue a career outside football" (having called a meeting with JM himself) only to sign for Brentford a month later

Couldn't get a game so left Brentford for Wycombe and then left them mid season 2 years later (because he couldn't get a game)

All about "me, me, me"