england v usa and rooney

ganesh
england v usa and rooney

Post by ganesh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 am

well this is being billed as a charity match and is likely to feature Rooney to help raise the crowd and therefore more money.

what a load of old ***** if they really wanted to raise money get a whole host of England legends and charge £5 a selfie with them rather than one of them running onto the pitch making a meaningless game even more meaningless and being given another cap.

This is not an anti Rooney posting his record speaks for itself, this is just sentimental rubbish for a player who hasn't even retried yet

redblueuptoyou
Re: england v usa and rooney

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:09 am

It’s a tough one. Why didn’t Lineker/Beckham etc get a charity testimonial? Also, irks against Southgate’s brave new world and looking to the future.

But it is for a good cause and might (?) boost ticket sales.

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 am

A perfect example of the national team being cheapened just like the cricket team with the Stanford nonsense. Anyway what did Rooney actually win whilst playing for England.
Donations from ggate receipts £0
Donations from the FA £0.

RuislipShot

Post by RuislipShot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:31 am

i don't like the idea. If he has to play, bring him on as a sub, and do not award him a cap.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

Rooney is England's highest international goalscorer. Surely we should recognise the many goals he scored against world power houses like Andorra, San Marino, Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Montenegro.

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 am

It would upset the balance of the team that Gareth Southgate has built and for me shouldn't be encouraged. I personally think Rooney was way overrated. If you want to include an old legend for sensationalism then bring on Bobby Charlton as sub in the 90th minute.

....He'd probably score a screamer.

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 am

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am
Rooney is England's highest international goalscorer. Surely we should recognise the many goals he scored against world power houses like Andorra, San Marino, Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Montenegro.
I agree with that. In those particular games I suggest Gary Abbott would have scored as many as Rooney.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 am

Portly Stilton Shot wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 am
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am
I agree with that. In those particular games I suggest Gary Abbott would have scored as many as Rooney.
Spot on. If you'd put Gary Abbott up against the like of those he would've scored. The fact is that after the break up of the Soviet Union, England have been playing opposition that are National League or League Two standard at best. Rooney's goal scoring achievement needs to be kept in perspective.

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

ganesh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 am
well this is being billed as a charity match and is likely to feature Rooney to help raise the crowd and therefore more money.

what a load of old ***** if they really wanted to raise money get a whole host of England legends and charge £5 a selfie with them rather than one of them running onto the pitch making a meaningless game even more meaningless and being given another cap.

This is not an anti Rooney posting his record speaks for itself, this is just sentimental rubbish for a player who hasn't even retried yet
Totally agree Ganesh and a total waste of a cap.
If the FA were going to market the game as such then they should have done so weeks ago and set the tickets prices as such for a charity game rather than a friendly