Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post Reply
Reg's corner
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Reg's corner » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:52 pm
Oliver11 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm
steveshot wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm
I wonder if mick McCarthy is wondering to give Waddock a call? Would he go?
Republic of Ireland assistant manager v Aldershot manager position - tough one.....
Eh? Isn’t Roy the assistant chief?
😂 Saipan all forgotten.. Dont think so. Keano would never work with him..

Reg's corner
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Reg's corner » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 pm

But yes the managers interview sums it up. Just not happening at the moment. And even more depressing we cant get something out of a game against the awful (sorry its true) gravesend.. Sad times..

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Reg's corner wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:03 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:52 pm
Oliver11 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm


Republic of Ireland assistant manager v Aldershot manager position - tough one.....
Eh? Isn’t Roy the assistant chief?
😂 Saipan all forgotten.. Dont think so. Keano would never work with him..
I’ve just been told by poster josh that McCarthy and Keane have replaced O’Neill and Keane in the Ireland 🇮🇪 job, passed me by that one!

MikeB
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by MikeB » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Alderman 3 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 pm
If this run of results and performances where under the charge of Dillon, Holdsworth or Smith everyone would be shouting for change. Waddock has been very good for the SHOTS but I feel like his time is coming yo a end. We need fresh ideas and someone who has plans B and C to fall back onto if needed. Basingstoke beat us to the ideal replacement for Waddock.
True but Holdsworth and Smith hadn't built up the same bank of goodwill. And Dillon had only just got us to the League 2 playoffs, our highest ever position, but people wouldn't forgive his Reading connection.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 pm
MikeO wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
Just listened to Gary''s post match interview and I really felt for him. Fair play to Chris who hung in with his questions to Gary. A very difficult situation for both, and how are Shots going to dig themselves out of this deepening hole?
That hurt watching and listening to GW. As a fan who really cares (and obviously I know there are many many more also) I was close to tears, probably for GW more than anything/anyone else.

I’m sure himself and JR will continue to give all they can though! Just hope the players listen and follow...
Cmon Alex a night out with myself, chobham, lowerbourne and Aberdeen will surely cheer you up :roll:

Malmesbury Shot
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 am
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Malmesbury Shot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm

I had to go to the EBB lounge after todays game where I also watched Luke Powell’s presentation.

Unbelieveably open and honest appraisal of the game, team and where we’re at. He was constantly apologising and you could tell the and the way he was talking- the way the rest of the team feel.

He was so emotional it felt like he was almost choking- rightly he got a sincere round of applause from all present. Anyone present wil know that it wasn’t a case of seeing someone who didn’t care.

Don’t get me wrong.. in my 40 years of watching the shots, that was one of the worst total performances I have ever seen (as Luke said, don’t start blaming injuries- every one of those players on the pitch is a professional, full-time footballer!)

That said, I did leave feeling concerned that he was so down, it was like a bereavement. This feeling was exacerbated by watching Gary’s interview just now when I got home. I think the biggest threat to our season is actually now in the players minds. Today was awful but we need to move on and quickly. We may not be the best team in the league but We/they need to channel the hurt/frustration/anger to giving the performances we need and know they are capable of- the alternative of negative/feeling sorry for yourself/ we’ve to no budget/ we’ve got too many injuries can quickly spiral into a rut which will be much harder to get out of.

Boys- sleep on it- kick the cat* tonight , whatever it takes- but you’re not bad players so come back on Monday with a smile on your face and start putting it right!

*I hate cats but this is a metaphor rather than really suggesting animal cruelty

Mick Earls Fan Club
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:54 am
Location: Elvetham Heath , Fleet
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Mick Earls Fan Club » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:58 pm
Well that was worth a 4 and half hour drive to watch !
Enough said on this thread about the lacklustre performance.
I will add that playing Lelan instead of Bernard today at centre half would of been a better option with his dogged physical presence.
Unless Booty is injured this would of allowed him to have some part in the game also.
Only 5 players on loan can be included in a matchday squad - so Booty (as a season-long loanee) tends to miss out.

Today GW chose to play loanees Mannion/Osho/Bernard/May/Barrett.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

lowerbourneshot
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: The Ex Legion now Lower Bourne Social Club
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm
Alex wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 pm
MikeO wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
Just listened to Gary''s post match interview and I really felt for him. Fair play to Chris who hung in with his questions to Gary. A very difficult situation for both, and how are Shots going to dig themselves out of this deepening hole?
That hurt watching and listening to GW. As a fan who really cares (and obviously I know there are many many more also) I was close to tears, probably for GW more than anything/anyone else.

I’m sure himself and JR will continue to give all they can though! Just hope the players listen and follow...
Cmon Alex a night out with myself, chobham, lowerbourne and Aberdeen will surely cheer you up :roll:
Count me out thanks

Alderman 3
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:40 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Alderman 3 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:08 pm

MikeB wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm
Alderman 3 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:55 pm
If this run of results and performances where under the charge of Dillon, Holdsworth or Smith everyone would be shouting for change. Waddock has been very good for the SHOTS but I feel like his time is coming yo a end. We need fresh ideas and someone who has plans B and C to fall back onto if needed. Basingstoke beat us to the ideal replacement for Waddock.
True but Holdsworth and Smith hadn't built up the same bank of goodwill. And Dillon had only just got us to the League 2 playoffs, our highest ever position, but people wouldn't forgive his Reading connection.
But goodwill is not going to save us from going down.

Preston Shot
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Preston Shot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Mick Earls Fan Club wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:58 pm
Well that was worth a 4 and half hour drive to watch !
Enough said on this thread about the lacklustre performance.
I will add that playing Lelan instead of Bernard today at centre half would of been a better option with his dogged physical presence.
Unless Booty is injured this would of allowed him to have some part in the game also.
Only 5 players on loan can be included in a matchday squad - so Booty (as a season-long loanee) tends to miss out.

Today GW chose to play loanees Mannion/Osho/Bernard/May/Barrett.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.
Yes I know but if Lelan played instead of Bernard that would of freed up Booty.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Keep playing like that means we enter a new division in about 150 days time!

shotshammo
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by shotshammo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 pm

I hate putting salt on the wound, but the coaching needs looking at, we never changed our approach to how we were playing for the whole game.
There were so many things that can be improved on, regardless of the players skills with the football.
I know there are many fans like myself who will support the club through thick and thin, the alternative is not having a club to support, we've been close to that position before and it's not nice, so I hope every effort will be made by everyone associated with the club to keep their heads up and get through these tough times.

leafs
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:50 am
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by leafs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:22 am

A truly sorry mess today. These players are 'full time footballers' this is what they do for a job. But some of them actually really struggle to pass the ball to a player wearing the same colour shirt less than 10m away. How is this even possible.

The total nonsense of the other team is bigger and stronger and more experienced is a cop out. You don't need to be big or strong or have played 200 games at this level to be able to pass the ball properly.

And don't get me started on players just walking around 'hoping' that someone else will do their job for them. Ghe amount of walking, not chasing back and generally not giving 100% is unforgivable. Most of the players today could have played another 90 minutes.

It is very sad that a lot of these players are either not trying and letting themselves and more importantly their own team mates down badly or they just don't care ...... it is one or the other.

So unless they pulled their collective fingers out they wont have to worry about these team mates next year because like Woking last season there will be only 2 players left come June next year.

Eagle shot
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Mytchett
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Eagle shot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 am

I also saw the Luke Howell interview in the Ebb lounge & was left feeling sympathetic & empathetic towards him. He was brutally honest and he shared that following GW’s post match team meeting the players held their own meeting to talk about why they can dig in at Bradford & Orient but not get any consistent run of form. His feeling is that in the end it is down to the players to perform individually and as a team for 90 minutes (and regardless of whom the opposition is). Personally I think that we have been unlucky with injuries & that it’s fair to say some of our player recruitment this season along with the players’ in-game management have contributed to our current situation.Our existing squad does have the quality to win matches but I suspect a few ins & outs in coming weeks. Given the success GW has had with quality of his signings in last 2 seasons I think he’s entitled to one or two that don’t work out. Mid table finish & an early start to building an improved squad for 19-20 will do me for this season- Trophy run would be a welcome bonus and a realistic possibility..

Chobham Shot
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:30 pm
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Chobham Shot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 am

With greatest respect to Malmesbury & Eagle but Howell’s reaction is all for show. I left at the final whistle today (I always wait for the final whistle no matter how hard it may be) but after our last home game v Barrow, which was a replica of today I hung around until all the players walked off. Howell was one of the last players to walk off v Barrow with a big smile on his face as he waved and gave a thumbs up 👍 to people he obviously knew in the North stand seats. I was livid!

Now, in my playing days, I don’t care who was watching me, but if I played sh!t and we lost a game, I wouldn’t be walking off a pitch smiling and waving to my personal fan club. I would be thoroughly pi$$ed off! I almost posted this a fortnight ago but I now feel compelled to do so!

The fact he won MoM today was laughable (as the crowd reaction showed). No outfield player deserved it today - it should have gone to Mannion by default (and he actually did well considering the shambles in front of him).

And in response to leafs (*surprised you’re here at this time of year) post, I mostly agree. I reckon 75% of the ball in our half during the game and every time we got the ball it either got knocked out of play, played aimlessly forward or simply given straight back to Ebbsfleet. Where I disagree with 🍁 is I do believe the players are giving the best they can, they are simply not good enough.

But it’s all ok because, according to some people with a multiple personality disorder, our home form will keep us up!

*My attempt at a humour in an otherwise angry and frustrated general vent!

Good night all.


Post Reply