Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Boundary Mike
Re: Match Day Thread vs EBBSFLEET

Post by Boundary Mike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 am

well I’m actually not so bothered about the performance as I am with our vile, disgusting supporters in the East Bank - sadly it wasn’t a ‘small section’ that chose to ridicule the Ebbsfleet keeper in the manner they did. It was horrific and embarrassing! Fair play to the visiting fans for sticking up for him.
I took my 15 yr old son and 3 of his mates - all Woking fans actually - and they couldn’t believe it. Fans arguing with each other, hence the increased steward and police presence. One gentleman was only interested in taunting/swearing and trying to intimidate the Ebbsfleet fans from 20/30 yards away. Pathetic. Not a great experience watching us from this vantage point, and away games seem to generate a far healthier and more respectful ambience no-matter what the result/performances entail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SW Shot

Post by SW Shot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 am

I don’t know what the state/standard of our youth teams is like, but why were the last two spaces on the bench not taken by two youth players?
How demoralising for any potential future Aldershot players to look at our bench today and see two empty seats. If the players we are bringing through aren’t good enough, why do we bother? I cannot remember the last time someone came through the academy and into the first team consistently - maybe Danny Hylton?

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 am

SW Shot wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 am
I don’t know what the state/standard of our youth teams is like, but why were the last two spaces on the bench not taken by two youth players?
How demoralising for any potential future Aldershot players to look at our bench today and see two empty seats. If the players we are bringing through aren’t good enough, why do we bother? I cannot remember the last time someone came through the academy and into the first team consistently - maybe Danny Hylton?
Couldn’t agree more, we are meant to be building a football sustainable structure, so to not fill the bench is a condemnation of that structures ability to function successfully

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am

Eagle shot wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 am
Personally I think that we have been unlucky with injuries.
How many seasons have we been saying this now?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am

:cry:
Boundary Mike wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 am
well I’m actually not so bothered about the performance as I am with our vile, disgusting supporters in the East Bank - sadly it wasn’t a ‘small section’ that chose to ridicule the Ebbsfleet keeper in the manner they did. It was horrific and embarrassing! Fair play to the visiting fans for sticking up for him.
I took my 15 yr old son and 3 of his mates - all Woking fans actually - and they couldn’t believe it. Fans arguing with each other, hence the increased steward and police presence. One gentleman was only interested in taunting/swearing and trying to intimidate the Ebbsfleet fans from 20/30 yards away. Pathetic. Not a great experience watching us from this vantage point, and away games seem to generate a far healthier and more respectful ambience no-matter what the result/performances entail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that what was being aimed at the Ebbsfleet goalkeeper was disgusting, as was the booing of their player who pointed out racism from one of our supporters at the fixture at their place.

Sadly away from home can and often is, also vile. I had to move seats at half time at Orient on Tuesday due to the behaviour of those around me. The behaviour of some of our supporters is deteriorating along with many other things at our club.

leafs

Post by leafs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 am

That is a very good question about the youth team.

There are actually 3 or 4 players that could come into the squad at least and do better than some of the players on' show' yesterday and against Barrow

How is it that these players who are full time so lets not get away from that fact continually cant hit a target that is standing 10m away.

leafs

Post by leafs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:17 am

Someone close to me yesterday said to a comment in the crowd when Gallagher or Osho or McCoy or Howell or McDonnell or Fenelon or Howell (I could name them all and multiple times) kept missing passes and making schollboy errors time and time and time again. Well this person in the crowd said " that why they are here playing 5th tier football".

That is a stupid answer as they are fulltime players. If they cant pass the ball, cant control the ball and worse still have no desire to chase, tackle, run and generaly get stuck in them bring in a few academy lads ....... at least give them a good they couldn't do any worse and the supporters would at least understand this better than the loan players just here for themselves

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm not often one to grumble post-match, but I considered my 20 quid poorly spent yesterday. That's all!

Villa

Post by Villa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:06 pm

The most worrying for me about GW’s post-match interview is that he looks lost and doesn’t actually know what to do about the situation.
For me he failed in the most important area for a club like ours and that’s his pre-season signings.
It’s ok people saying ship player’s out but they have contracts that either need paying up or you need to find a club that want to take these players and I can’t imagine there’s a queue.
I also don’t go along with this “he’s built up some goodwill’ lark
At the end of the day staying in this division is the most important thing with or without Gary Waddock

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Malmesbury Shot wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm
I had to go to the EBB lounge after todays game where I also watched Luke Powell’s presentation.

Unbelieveably open and honest appraisal of the game, team and where we’re at. He was constantly apologising and you could tell the and the way he was talking- the way the rest of the team feel.

He was so emotional it felt like he was almost choking- rightly he got a sincere round of applause from all present. Anyone present will know that it wasn’t a case of seeing someone who didn’t care.

Don’t get me wrong.. in my 40 years of watching the shots, that was one of the worst total performances I have ever seen (as Luke said, don’t start blaming injuries- every one of those players on the pitch is a professional, full-time footballer!)
Was also there for that interview

Best one I have ever seen from a player

Great that the players had their own lock in to talk about it - a leader may have emerged from that meeting

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:57 pm

leafs wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:17 am
Someone close to me yesterday said to a comment in the crowd when Gallagher or Osho or McCoy or Howell or McDonnell or Fenelon or Howell (I could name them all and multiple times) kept missing passes and making schollboy errors time and time and time again. Well this person in the crowd said " that why they are here playing 5th tier football".

That is a stupid answer as they are fulltime players. If they cant pass the ball, cant control the ball and worse still have no desire to chase, tackle, run and generaly get stuck in them bring in a few academy lads ....... at least give them a good they couldn't do any worse and the supporters would at least understand this better than the loan players just here for themselves
Agreed the poor passing yesterday was perhaps partly responsible for our defeat.In other games we have passed the ball very well, so why so bad in this game? Difficult to say, but my take is that players have due to recent results lost confidence and just want to get rid of the ball too quickly before they are held responsible for losing the ball.When this mentality takes a hold it seems to spread like the flu.

The stronger sides in this league also concede goals, but they always score more and win games.In contrast the Shots seem unable to score any goals, which is the major weakness in our sad position.We don`t have many options up front, so why not try a defender as a makeshift old fashioned centre forward to put more weight and toughness in the penalty box. After all we have nothing to lose? We must try something unthinkable and not in the coaching manual.

COYS

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Sounds like I unintentionally chose a 'good' game to miss.

Edwyn

Post by Edwyn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Chobham Shot wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 am
With greatest respect to Malmesbury & Eagle but Howell’s reaction is all for show. I left at the final whistle today (I always wait for the final whistle no matter how hard it may be) but after our last home game v Barrow, which was a replica of today I hung around until all the players walked off. Howell was one of the last players to walk off v Barrow with a big smile on his face as he waved and gave a thumbs up 👍 to people he obviously knew in the North stand seats. I was livid!

Now, in my playing days, I don’t care who was watching me, but if I played sh!t and we lost a game, I wouldn’t be walking off a pitch smiling and waving to my personal fan club. I would be thoroughly pi$$ed off! I almost posted this a fortnight ago but I now feel compelled to do so!

The fact he won MoM today was laughable (as the crowd reaction showed). No outfield player deserved it today - it should have gone to Mannion by default (and he actually did well considering the shambles in front of him).

And in response to leafs (*surprised you’re here at this time of year) post, I mostly agree. I reckon 75% of the ball in our half during the game and every time we got the ball it either got knocked out of play, played aimlessly forward or simply given straight back to Ebbsfleet. Where I disagree with 🍁 is I do believe the players are giving the best they can, they are simply not good enough.

But it’s all ok because, according to some people with a multiple personality disorder, our home form will keep us up!

*My attempt at a humour in an otherwise angry and frustrated general vent!

Good night all.

Hi there Chobham shot.

Luke Howell here.

This post was brought to my attention by a family member who asked “did anyone go to watch you against barrow?”

My reply was no and so then this post was mentioned.

So I just thought I would mention that I was not smiling or giving the thumbs up to anyone after the barrow game as nobody was there to watch me! I always clap the fans and give a thumbs up to the fans for coming out rain or shine and waiting at the end of the game to see the players whether it’s been a good or bad performance.

I completely accept everybody’s opinions on players work rate, technical ability , leadership, whatever it may be and everyone is entitled to that and have different views.

However a comment on me as a person and putting on a ‘show’ is not fair.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Well said Luke

You certainly sounded genuine in the interview with Mark

Statto

Post by Statto » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 pm

leafs wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 am
That is a very good question about the youth team.

There are actually 3 or 4 players that could come into the squad at least and do better than some of the players on' show' yesterday and against Barrow

How is it that these players who are full time so lets not get away from that fact continually cant hit a target that is standing 10m away.
I've been keeping records of the "Young Player of the Year" since 2012 (if anyone has any older records, please let me know) and I'm puzzled as to why every winner was released/allowed to leave in the summer that followed their award!

2012: Josh Casey
2013: Reece Beckles-Richards
2014: Shaun Sims
2015: Jay Welch
2016: Ben House
2017: Billy Clarke
2018: Brian Galach