Where's Gate 3? Or 4?

FATBOY
Re: Where's Gate 3? Or 4?

Post by FATBOY » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 am

We're clearly trying to save money, understandably. Why not just close areas of the ground?

Close the Eastbank side for away fans, give the south stand to away fans giving them no option to stand (yes it's rubbish but it's happened to us before at away games) and close the slab. Make away fans come in via the High Street end. You save money on stewards for the East Bank terracing, the slab, and a turnstile operator. Away fans can then use the Hot Shots cafe.

I know it'll annoy people, but when has money ever cared for sentiment?

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am

Some of what you suggested Fatboy does already happen.

When the away attendances are small then they do often get just the South Stand seating, when larger numbers are expected then if the weather is known to be good then they get given the open terracing next to the south stand but when the weather could potentially be bad then understandably they get given the covered Eastbank terracing.

Regarding your suggestion of away fans coming in at the High Street end the club has actually been able to allow this for some games but permission to do so does rest with the Police who assess the games prior to the season beginning and continue to reassess during the season. So far on the occasions when the club is able to allow High St entry it has worked well, if it continues to do so then maybe more games will be approved in the future.

In regards to the slab now that one entrance is being closed off at the Hotshots Café end this means there is now no stewarding cost to keeping it open because the steward based at the remaining entrance by the South Stand would have to be there anyway as he or she also controls entry to the stand at that entrance.

If I am reading your suggestions correctly it appears that you believe we should go further and give the whole south stand to away supporters and move the home supporters to the North Stand. Sorry Fatboy but even if it did make substantial savings I cant imagine that ever happening for normal league games. There are people using the South Stand who have sat there for years and love watching the game from there, you couldn't ask them to move that would be awful and I would suspect lead to many of those supporters walking away never to come back. One off low attendance games like pre season friendlies or even the forthcoming Trophy match is a completely different matter, no one would mind that because they are not normal games.

In my view sensible cost cutting is good but we must never lose sight of the fact that whilst money is very important so is the happiness of our supporters.

PAUL BLUNDELL

Post by PAUL BLUNDELL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

Sorry. Just a proud dad with a big gob!

FATBOY

Post by FATBOY » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 am

Richard Petty wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am
If I am reading your suggestions correctly it appears that you believe we should go further and give the whole south stand to away supporters and move the home supporters to the North Stand. Sorry Fatboy but even if it did make substantial savings I cant imagine that ever happening for normal league games. There are people using the South Stand who have sat there for years and love watching the game from there, you couldn't ask them to move that would be awful and I would suspect lead to many of those supporters walking away never to come back. One off low attendance games like pre season friendlies or even the forthcoming Trophy match is a completely different matter, no one would mind that because they are not normal games.

In my view sensible cost cutting is good but we must never lose sight of the fact that whilst money is very important so is the happiness of our supporters.
A genuine thought, if it came to the absolute maximum of cost cutting possible, would those fans who sit in the south stand not give it up at the risk of not having a club because of the running costs?

Unfortunately in the worst case scenario we would have to start annoying people, and if that meant only having half the ground open then so be it. I do agree with you regarding keeping people happy, but at what cost?

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am

Oy Paul you just edited your post which meant my original reply made no sense at all, no change there then :lol:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am

Your right Ben I guess most people would support such a move given that stark choice.

The only thing is though that as well as those who would support it some would not and they would go so the club would lose their revenue. The atmosphere in the ground would be poorer so some other fans around the ground could also decide to go so we lose more revenue. Without home supporters using the Phoenix lounge the company running the bars would pay the club less to compensate for their loss of revenue, more lost revenue. Your main stand sponsor (North Stand) would no longer get as many people seeing their advertising so they would pay less. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that you could actually end up losing as much revenue as you save on the cost of stewarding.

PAUL BLUNDELL

Post by PAUL BLUNDELL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

Sorry Richard but i put something i perhaps should not of and was per lightly told to please remove it. Like i said, just a proud dad with a big gob. Don't know if you read it before i deleted it but if you did you might now know what i mean. Sorry to all involved.

PAUL BLUNDELL

Post by PAUL BLUNDELL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am

Talking of moving or sitting else where in the stadium, i was always an East bank supporter until my little short fat hairy legs told me to sit down for a change. Being at the ground for around 10 ish and being on my feet until at least just after kick off It's surprising how my old feet and legs ache. In a move, the general view can be better when moved beyond your choice. This is not a go at South standers, as I've sat in there too and enjoyed the view. You just get a different perspective on the game, although the score stays the same unfortunately.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am

Yes I did read your original post Paul and I didn't see anything wrong with it, perhaps someone read it in a way that I didnt

Warnboro of the South

Post by Warnboro of the South » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm still trying to get out of one of these gates at Woking two seasons ago!!