CEO Departs

South Stand Blue
Re: CEO Departs

Post by South Stand Blue » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 am
South Stand Blue wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 am

I enjoyed the posts that ABee posted on here and found them very interesting and obviously somebody with a lot of knowledge who would be an asset to any football club.
That opinion should be tempered by the fact that the marvellous Abee is an ex employee of ATFC

Just saying
Wrong I'm afraid

Just saying :roll:

MidlandsShot

Post by MidlandsShot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am

Not sure how fair it is to speculate that this was a decision dictated by finances when we don’t know about how much the CEO was being paid or what she achieved or helped to achieve.

As Shahid has openly stated, the club is making a loss this year based on the attendances being lower than budgeted. So as the club is making a loss, then that surely makes any paid staff vulnerable. For all we know she may have been contributing far more to our club than people give her credit for (certainly I assume more than the members of our playing staff who have spent the last couple of months injured).

I for one was surprised at the announcement of the club appointing a CEO, and for what it’s worth I’m sceptical of how much was achieved (though online ticketing if it was her idea is a good way to move forward and an attempt to bring in more casual fans). However there’s two sides to every story, and without knowing the full facts it’s difficult to know whether or not it was worthwhile appointing a CEO. Best of luck Laura.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Norwich Nick wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 am
Headley Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 pm
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 pm
Does beg the question was this role a necessary expense in the first place...
Haven’t the Club been getting rid of staff since the close season ?
Think about how many players we actually have this season and all the loan signings.
I don’t know about anyone else but it’s looking like the club could be about to go bust again. That would fit with the sudden announcement on the CEO’s departure.
I'm not sure how you can ever announce such a departure without it being sudden? Perhaps if someone is leaving due to family issues that might be different, but in most circumstances any announcement is always going to appear sudden.

Personally, given all the comments on here over the last few months about the CEO's role, I wasn't a bit surprised by this. Either she'd had enough or there is genuinely a need for a cost saving - if the latter, better that cost saving is actually made as soon as possible rather than continuing with an unsustainable position (although that is always difficult when a human being is involved).
Yes, any unexpected announcement that "X is leaving their job now/very soon" will always seem sudden - although sometimes it is necessarily that way, as you say. But an announcement along the lines of "X will step down at the end of the season" doesn't come across in the same way.

ganesh

Post by ganesh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm sure if the board were a little more communicative they could encourage retired supporters to spend a little time volunteering.

There must a number of retired managers with various skills that could help support a full time admin team.

I'm sure many could have organised things like the forum meeting with no real issues and if there were a team of retired volunteers then I'm sure the hours required to help out wouldn't be too onerous.

I for one would consider such work if the club is still in existence when I retire, hopefully in about 10 years.

Perhaps this could be something the trust could look into if they are worried enough to step down from the board on the grounds of the club not being run professionally enough.

Do we have retired accountants to look at collating and checking bills the bills and even looing at value for money, secretaries to take minutes at meetings, facilities managers to mange maintenance contracts, H&S advisors to help the club with it's risk, the list is endless?

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm

ganesh wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:51 pm
I'm sure if the board were a little more communicative they could encourage retired supporters to spend a little time volunteering.

There must a number of retired managers with various skills that could help support a full time admin team.

I'm sure many could have organised things like the forum meeting with no real issues and if there were a team of retired volunteers then I'm sure the hours required to help out wouldn't be too onerous.

I for one would consider such work if the club is still in existence when I retire, hopefully in about 10 years.

Perhaps this could be something the trust could look into if they are worried enough to step down from the board on the grounds of the club not being run professionally enough.

Do we have retired accountants to look at collating and checking bills the bills and even looing at value for money, secretaries to take minutes at meetings, facilities managers to mange maintenance contracts, H&S advisors to help the club with it's risk, the list is endless?

Some excellent points once again Ganesh and I agree communication is key as there must be a network of skills out there.

I will raise this at our Trust meeting next week, maybe you might think about coming onto the Trust board :)

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Tiger131 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 pm
Preston Shot wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm
Tiger131 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm
Who said we couldn’t pay her ??
I can’t disclose my information, but my source is not connected to the club.
So how does your ‘source ‘ know then ??
He was waiting for a train at Euston..... :lol:

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Could gone and now with Stoke sacking their manager will GW be off to the potteries.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Regarding Ganesh`s suggestion. It would be easy forthe Club to invite such volunteers to come forward if help is needed in certain areas of administration.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am

Norwich Nick wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 pm
Does beg the question was this role a necessary expense in the first place...
Think about how many players we actually have this season and all the loan signings.
I don’t know about anyone else but it’s looking like the club could be about to go bust again. That would fit with the sudden announcement on the CEO’s departure.
I'm not sure how you can ever announce such a departure without it being sudden? Perhaps if someone is leaving due to family issues that might be different, but in most circumstances any announcement is always going to appear sudden.

Personally, given all the comments on here over the last few months about the CEO's role, I wasn't a bit surprised by this. Either she'd had enough or there is genuinely a need for a cost saving - if the latter, better that cost saving is actually made as soon as possible rather than continuing with an unsustainable position (although that is always difficult when a human being is involved).
The CEO was almost certainly paid monthly, so if she was going with a smile and a wave, there would be at least a month’s notice involved.
Perhaps there was a month’s notice, either way but I think the Charman’s statement can only be described as “sudden” as she doesn’t have to work a notice period and the Chairman hasn’t invited applications for her old job.
Draw your own conclusions but recent events hint at financial turmoil to me.

ACA

Post by ACA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 am

Equally, she may well have given her notice (or been given notice) a month ago - the Club are now simply advising that she has left. Why would the club announce "[member of staff] has given notice of their intention to depart next month." They just wouldn't, nor dare I say would any other employer. It may also be that the parties have agreed that she is not required to work any notice period. Given the enormous criticism that the Club faced for appointing a CEO in the first place, it's also of no surprise that there is no immediate statement about the future of the role.

The club statement simply announces her departure. The fact that you may wish to consider it "sudden" doesn't mean that, by extension, we are in "financial turmoil".

GWRBA

Post by GWRBA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 pm

ACA wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 am
Equally, she may well have given her notice (or been given notice) a month ago - the Club are now simply advising that she has left
The fact that you may wish to consider it "sudden" doesn't mean that, by extension, we are in "financial turmoil".
Agreed. Like others on here I heard a rumour before Christmas that she was moving on. I still emailed her about the volunteering request made in a recent story on the website and got some kind of out of office reply saying her account was being monitored and we should contact Bob or Cheryl (I think) if we wanted an urgent reply. Suggests this is anything but sudden.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 pm

GWRBA wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 pm
ACA wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 am
Equally, she may well have given her notice (or been given notice) a month ago - the Club are now simply advising that she has left
The fact that you may wish to consider it "sudden" doesn't mean that, by extension, we are in "financial turmoil".
Agreed. Like others on here I heard a rumour before Christmas that she was moving on. I still emailed her about the volunteering request made in a recent story on the website and got some kind of out of office reply saying her account was being monitored and we should contact Bob or Cheryl (I think) if we wanted an urgent reply. Suggests this is anything but sudden.
Disagreed.
Both of you are viewing the announcement with your Red and Blue glasses on, which, to be fair, you are quite entitled to do.
Recent events off the field give me no pleasure at all and this is yet another warning flag.

ACA

Post by ACA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:42 pm

No tinted lenses here, I can assure you :wink: There are plenty of things for us to be concerned about at the moment, I grant you. In my humble opinion, the "suddenness" of this announcement isn't one of them.

GWRBA

Post by GWRBA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 pm
Disagreed.
Both of you are viewing the announcement with your Red and Blue glasses on, which, to be fair, you are quite entitled to do.
Recent events off the field give me no pleasure at all and this is yet another warning flag.
I'm certainly well aware of the problems which seem to be looming (£300,000 'friendly' money to cover probable losses this season, etc.) but there is a massive middle ground between red and blue tinted glasses and administration. This departure does not necessarily take us closer to the edge.

DonnyDarko2012

Post by DonnyDarko2012 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 am

Headley Shot wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am
Norwich Nick wrote:
Headley Shot wrote:

The CEO was almost certainly paid monthly, so if she was going with a smile and a wave, there would be at least a month’s notice involved.
Perhaps there was a month’s notice, either way but I think the Charman’s statement can only be described as “sudden” as she doesn’t have to work a notice period and the Chairman hasn’t invited applications for her old job.
Draw your own conclusions but recent events hint at financial turmoil to me.
That depends on what's written in a contract of employment. I'm paid monthly, but I have to give/receive a weeks notice because I've been here less than 12 months.