Business Leaders Lunches

Birdman
Business Leaders Lunches

Post by Birdman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Localshot
Re: Business Leaders Lunches

Post by Localshot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:31 pm

This is what annoys me. It should not be up to Birdman to promote activities/events. The Official website is clearly not getting the traffic. Similarly where Mark Butler asks Richard Petty to provide an update on the current initiative to raise funds. These should be promoted by club officials.
The alternative is getting an official 'volunteer' to provide the information we so desperately require in this media driven world.

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Localshot wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:31 pm
This is what annoys me. It should not be up to Birdman to promote activities/events. The Official website is clearly not getting the traffic. Similarly where Mark Butler asks Richard Petty to provide an update on the current initiative to raise funds. These should be promoted by club officials.
The alternative is getting an official 'volunteer' to provide the information we so desperately require in this media driven world.
"The Official website is clearly not getting the traffic".

With respect, that's not unusual for any football club. "Chat", typically found away from official sites, is where it's at, which is why Birdie got involved, i imagine.

ACA

Post by ACA » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm

It's worth pointing out that I first saw this activity/event being promoted by the club's Facebook page, so it's not as if they aren't advertising it.

RC-Moderator
Site Admin

Post by RC-Moderator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm

I have seen this through multiple channels today, including LinkedIn and Twitter.

We have been through various phases in the last 20yrs with this - but right now Birdman is taking responsibility to broadcast club news on here as soon as available.

The club haven’t asked for this but I don’t think it is damaging, nor a poor reflection on the club. Its just practical and efficient.

Sorry - think there are bigger things to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Localshot wrote:
I fully understand the point you are making and would agree if the club wasn't also heavily promoting both the Golden Ticket and the Business Lunches on official channels as well.

There are quite a few people who for various reasons don't always use the official channels like the website, twitter and facebook but do use Shotsweb so when Birdman promotes a link to something its because he is trying to be helpful to the users of this forum to make them aware of something that he believes they may be interested in. There are far more stories or promotions that he doesn't put on here so its not like he is pushing everything just what he thinks would make a valuable contribution to this forum and does often encourage further conversation on here.

In the case of the Golden ticket Mark had just read my comment about good sales so far and had also read the suggestions from other posters regarding future prize draws and thought that it would be nice to provide a more detailed update on sales of tickets and respond to the other Shotsweb posts. That would have been pointless if it had been published on the clubs official website as it was specifically the shotsweb users he wanted his message to get to.

I am not sure that an "Official volunteer" would work because they would then effectively be restricted to saying only what the club wanted saying, I certainly feel the big thing about why shotsweb works is because everyone posting on here is posting as an individual giving their own personal opinion and able to say whatever they like which may sometimes be positive about something or may on other occasions be negative. they are not constrained by any "Official" link to the club.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm

My main reason for bringing this event to the fore is relatively simple. The last time I posted a link about these business lunches it was after the event and to show what had taken place. One particular comment which has stayed in my mind was made by a poster about the fact that he couldn't see any non-white faces (despite SA being in view). I raised this with an attendee who said that this wasn't so. Anyway, I've posted the link above so that the information is freely available for all to see re how to attend, costs and who to contact.

One of the reasons that the club's website may not be getting as much attention as it should may well be down to the problems viewers had about a year or so ago insofar as the adverts that suddenly started appearing which caused the website to become difficult to read and/or use. Many on here said that they were giving up with it. The advertising has been gone now for a few months and the website is all the better for it.

I don't highlight everything, only things that I think might be of interest to people or might help to bring in a few bob to the club. As RC has said, the club haven't asked for this, it's just something that I choose to do and have been doing for a few years now. Should the club ask me to stop then I will.

steveshot

Post by steveshot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 pm

I wouldn’t think the club would ask you that Birdy, helping to promote it has to be a positive move

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Localshot wrote:
Have you signed up to receive the newsletter? They send out this sort of info on a regular basis. So much so that the topic you are referring to, got sent to me twice :lol: :lol:

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 am

Damned if you do, damned if you don't !!

Good bit of work by the Club ......... I may do business chat on the" Ratings Revenue Streams" if they need to fill a slot.

Keep posting Birdie, good stuff.

tonygodfrey

Post by tonygodfrey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 am

Just to echo the point that official club web sites suffer from not really being able to allow free discussion and criticism of the club and its performances (which is after all what most fans are engaged with).

Had tangential involvement with a radio station known as "The Saint" a few years ago which the then owners of Southampton spent good money on in the belief that supporters would listen in for club news. The problem was that it became perceived as a mouthpiece for club management and honest debate was not really encouraged.

Birdman does a great job on here and hope he will continue posting links to the official site. Tbh rarely visit it without following them.

South Stand Blue

Post by South Stand Blue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Birdman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm
My main reason for bringing this event to the fore is relatively simple. The last time I posted a link about these business lunches it was after the event and to show what had taken place. One particular comment which has stayed in my mind was made by a poster about the fact that he couldn't see any non-white faces (despite SA being in view). I raised this with an attendee who said that this wasn't so. Anyway, I've posted the link above so that the information is freely available for all to see re how to attend, costs and who to contact.

One of the reasons that the club's website may not be getting as much attention as it should may well be down to the problems viewers had about a year or so ago insofar as the adverts that suddenly started appearing which caused the website to become difficult to read and/or use. Many on here said that they were giving up with it. The advertising has been gone now for a few months and the website is all the better for it.

I don't highlight everything, only things that I think might be of interest to people or might help to bring in a few bob to the club. As RC has said, the club haven't asked for this, it's just something that I choose to do and have been doing for a few years now. Should the club ask me to stop then I will.
If you enjoying doing it then carry on doing so, I personally can’t see any issues with it, in fact I would think its probably beneficial to some.