Destinations next season (bar a handful of additions/subtractions)

Birdman
Destinations next season (bar a handful of additions/subtractions)

Post by Birdman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Alex
Re: Destinations next season (bar a handful of additions/subtractions)

Post by Alex » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 pm

We really shouldn’t be playing at a lower level than Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dagenham, Dover, Gateshead, Halifax and Maidenhead :!:

GW and the players should be ashamed of themselves :oops:

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 pm
We really shouldn’t be playing at a lower level than Barrow, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Dagenham, Dover, Gateshead, Halifax and Maidenhead :!:

As much as I understand your point Alex we have at some point been below all of those you mentioned mainly because of the events of March 1992!

CH

Post by CH » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Yes but this will be the first time we have ever sunk to regional football on merit.

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:00 am

Alex wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Tables never lie Alex dear boy ,we're pony beyond belief.

Mick Earls Fan Club

Post by Mick Earls Fan Club » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:09 am

Dorking Wanderers won their league title yesterday.

One I'm going too

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:43 am

The arrogance of some fans takes the cake.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am

I wonder if the young Alex is aware that 3 of those clubs are ex football league sides, Gateshead 1960, barrow 1972 and more recently Halifax 1993 and 2002 but agree being below the others is humiliating not arrogant!

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am

Bath City looks an interesting enclosure, having never been there. May be a good suggestion for a ToD?

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 am

Portly Stilton Shot wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am
Bath City looks an interesting enclosure, having never been there. May be a good suggestion for a ToD?
They might go up though, otherwise Bath 🛀 in April sounds appealing

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:37 am

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am
I wonder if the young Alex is aware that 3 of those clubs are ex football league sides, Gateshead 1960, barrow 1972 and more recently Halifax 1993 and 2002 but agree being below the others is humiliating not arrogant!
Though you could also add that both Bromley and Borhamwood (particularly the Wood) have substantial financing behind them so in my book I find it surprising they are not much higher in the table if you were to equate money with success. Dover also have a wealthy benefactor who has put a lot of money into the club though not so sure that's reflected in this years playing budget which could explain why they are still within our reach (just).

I don't believe in this "We shouldn't be below" such and such a team, we love our team and want to be the best we can but we have no automatic right to be better than any other team, we all start equal on zero points at the beginning of the season and there are then 46 games that decide who is better than who. The only clubs who could potentially have a claim to having a superior chance of success are really big clubs like Orient or wealthy clubs who try to buy their success. We unfortunately do not fall into either of those categories.

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:37 am
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am
Though you could also add that both Bromley and Borhamwood (particularly the Wood) have substantial financing behind them so in my book I find it surprising they are not much higher in the table if you were to equate money with success. Dover also have a wealthy benefactor who has put a lot of money into the club though not so sure that's reflected in this years playing budget which could explain why they are still within our reach (just).

I don't believe in this "We shouldn't be below" such and such a team, we love our team and want to be the best we can but we have no automatic right to be better than any other team, we all start equal on zero points at the beginning of the season and there are then 46 games that decide who is better than who. The only clubs who could potentially have a claim to having a superior chance of success are really big clubs like Orient or wealthy clubs who try to buy their success. We unfortunately do not fall into either of those categories.
But what you can do is implement and execute strategies as we did in 2016-17 to outperform the status quo. Sometimes in business you can implement the wrong starategy that undoes all the good work so far!

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am

Shame that Truro and Weston-super-Mare are both in the relegation zone.

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 am

3 more comments about our prospective travels:

1. Shame Oxford City aren't still playing at their old ground, I'm led to believe that was a really nice place.

2. This will only mean something to people of a certain age, but I have always thought of Hungerford as a rather sad place.

3. Don't get too excited about a weekend in Weston-super-Mare, if there was a Farnborough-on-Sea then this would be it!

RuislipShot

Post by RuislipShot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Hungerford has plenty of nice beer houses to visit, not many gun shops nowdays 8)