Match day thread vs HARTLEPOOL

Birdman
Re: Match day thread vs HARTLEPOOL

Post by Birdman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 am

Shots1954 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 am
Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm
To the best of my knowledge, GW was on a rolling contract (according to the official announcement on the club’s website when he rejoined us). If your referring to the the end of the 16/17 season and the 12 month contracts that were given to keep the squad together, my understanding was that that was only for the following season (17/18).
I think Brian Bloomfield may be able to answer this but as I said it has been covered in another posting
Re GW, I’ll go with the official announcement that was made at the time of his appointment (opening sentence) :- https://www.theshots.co.uk/gary-waddock-returns/

This is the official announcement about the 12 month contracts :- https://www.theshots.co.uk/shots-direct ... contracts/

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 am

What has happened to the bar under the South Stand? Yesterday only one poor guy serving in there, most beers unavailable and bevvied up Hartlepool fans had taken over which was all a bit intimidating. Took one look and walked out. Shame, because used to enjoy going in there.

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 pm
Headley Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:41 pm
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Very true indeed.

In a dream world i would like shot of the board. They have proved their incompetence and we need a complete clear out. The vast majority are not football people and certainly dont have any afinity to the club. Becoming a director because youve been roped in to buying shares to plug holes in the clubs finances caused by incompetence doesnt strike me as a good business model.

Im well aware we are stuck with them.

As for Waddock. Never thought he of all people would lead us into such a disasterous situation. A combination of poor signings and pig headedness have resulted in the debacle.

To have not won a home game since November the 3rd is incredible any other manager at any level would have been sacked months ago. We appreciate what you have done in the past but football has moved on and its time for the good of everyone that you do too.

I do find it equally incredible the easy ride the board and manager have had this season from the fans.. Maybe we could have made our feelings known a bit more strongly... There were a fee boos today but most just walked off in acceptance.

I think apathy amongst supporters is equally as dangerous as the incompetence of the board in the long term prospects of the club.
Relegation confirmed today but where did it go wrong and who is REALLY responsible ?
I do think fans deserve to learn what is going to be different in the future because the present business plan is clearly not sustainable and we cannot exist as a charitable organisation at the expense of sporting aspirations.
It is and always has been ridiculous, yet this is the direction Shahid Azeem wants the club to follow.
It’s not for me I’m afraid.
Unless supporters are prepared for the club to live within the income that it generates (and subsequent level of football that that may lead too) then the current method (or similar) will prevail. Ambition is fine as long as it’s affordable.
I’m sorry Birdman, but I don’t think you’re right.
The club had plenty of income, certainly a £1.5 million turnover, yet it has been poorly managed by the BOD.
You can’t lose £1million plus over the last 3 years and say it’s the fans fault for not turning up in sufficient numbers and our expectations are unrealistic.
If you’d gone to the South Stand bar yesterday half time, you wouldn’t be able to buy a beer because there was 1 poor guy with hardly any stock doing his best to pacify 100 or more regulars.
If ever the BOD has stuck 2 fingers up to the fans, that was it.
The club hasn’t paid it’s bills and I suspect more adverse news will leak out over the next few weeks and months.
I reckon Aldershot has got itself a bad name in the professional game and I don’t accept it’s the fans fault.
You carry on moderating with your “inside knowledge” though mate.

Nth stand moaner

Post by Nth stand moaner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm

SA and Cronys want that land with 119yr lease. Whilst we play at the military stadium in the 8th tier. It's apathy that's allowing our decline. We should make it so uncomfortable for SA and GW that they get the hell out. Kinsella Rowe having a pop at our fans. Well Lewis u soon shut up when I walked into your pre match interview and said how rubbish we are. How come Morgan was outed for same thing? I know a millions hard to raise. But we can do it and get these fools out the club. We are the phoenix, we can rise again. Surely 1000 people can put a 1000 in,(local businesses) I would, just to get rid of SA. How many kids are gonna follow us to the military stadium? No one that was Asian buisnessman of the year could make so many mistakes. Why on earth put 200k in? If you have no connection to ashot.? Why on earth would you keep GW? Surely his abysmal decisions allow his sacking and no severance pay. The chairman's Cronys complained when I suggested direct action to get these parasites out. They are destroying what we built since 92. The whole things became a shambles. I went during the ryman years but I won't go now unless there's direct action such as pitch sit ins to out SA and GW. Watch Blackpool rise now oystens gone. Pompey seem to be doing ok now fan owned and Brentford. Please for god's sake let's make it so uncomfortable that SA and his Cronys go. No more shares or players to sell. One asset left. ; 119 yr lease. I assure you it came out of SA's mouth. ."we can always play at the military stadium."

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Nth stand moaner wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm
SA and Cronys want that land with 119yr lease. Whilst we play at the military stadium in the 8th tier. It's apathy that's allowing our decline. We should make it so uncomfortable for SA and GW that they get the hell out. Kinsella Rowe having a pop at our fans. Well Lewis u soon shut up when I walked into your pre match interview and said how rubbish we are. How come Morgan was outed for same thing? I know a millions hard to raise. But we can do it and get these fools out the club. We are the phoenix, we can rise again. Surely 1000 people can put a 1000 in,(local businesses) I would, just to get rid of SA. How many kids are gonna follow us to the military stadium? No one that was Asian buisnessman of the year could make so many mistakes. Why on earth put 200k in? If you have no connection to ashot.? Why on earth would you keep GW? Surely his abysmal decisions allow his sacking and no severance pay. The chairman's Cronys complained when I suggested direct action to get these parasites out. They are destroying what we built since 92. The whole things became a shambles. I went during the ryman years but I won't go now unless there's direct action such as pitch sit ins to out SA and GW. Watch Blackpool rise now oystens gone. 1) Pompey seem to be doing ok now fan owned and Brentford. Please for god's sake let's make it so uncomfortable that SA and his Cronys go. No more shares or players to sell. One asset left. ; 119 yr lease. 2)I assure you it came out of SA's mouth. ."we can always play at the military stadium."
1) Pompey Supporters Trust sold the club to a *Mickey Mouse character back in 2017 :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41509530

*Attempt at a bit of humour.

2) In what context did he say that?

ACA

Post by ACA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm
The club hasn’t paid it’s bills and I suspect more adverse news will leak out over the next few weeks and months.
Just to be clear, one ranting email does not amount to proof that the club "hasn't paid its bills".

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Headley Shot wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm
Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 pm
Headley Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Relegation confirmed today but where did it go wrong and who is REALLY responsible ?
I do think fans deserve to learn what is going to be different in the future because the present business plan is clearly not sustainable and we cannot exist as a charitable organisation at the expense of sporting aspirations.
It is and always has been ridiculous, yet this is the direction Shahid Azeem wants the club to follow.
It’s not for me I’m afraid.
Unless supporters are prepared for the club to live within the income that it generates (and subsequent level of football that that may lead too) then the current method (or similar) will prevail. Ambition is fine as long as it’s affordable.
I’m sorry Birdman, but I don’t think you’re right.
The club had plenty of income, certainly a £1.5 million turnover, yet it has been poorly managed by the BOD.
You can’t lose £1million plus over the last 3 years and say it’s the fans fault for not turning up in sufficient numbers and our expectations are unrealistic.
If you’d gone to the South Stand bar yesterday half time, you wouldn’t be able to buy a beer because there was 1 poor guy with hardly any stock doing his best to pacify 100 or more regulars.
If ever the BOD has stuck 2 fingers up to the fans, that was it.
I reckon Aldershot has got itself a bad name in the professional game and I don’t accept it’s the fans fault.
You carry on moderating with your “inside knowledge” though mate.
My comment about the club living within its income and the level of football that that may lead to still stands. I didn’t say that it would be at a lower level but I feel that it could well do. Whether that level is Conference South or lower remains to be seen. That said, get the right manager and players in then Conference National can be achieved and then see where we go from there.
Turnover (I’ve been told) for 16/17 was £1.7m and it would be interesting to see a full breakdown of how it was spent. I think that one would need an in-depth study of expenditure rather than a generalisation (ie, insurance costs, ground maintenance costs, heating costs, matchday costs, playing/training kits, travel costs to name a few but hopefully, one gets the gist).
Regarding the South Stand bar, I won’t disagree with your comment as others have also been unhappy with it. The same applies to the JML. I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago that the only bar that I use, albeit maybe 6-7 times a season, is the outside Eastbank bar. The others I don’t use for personal reasons (nothing to do with the club or running of said bars).
With regard to your last sentence, any “inside knowledge” that comes my way stays ‘inside’. I don’t use it for moderating purposes. I never have done and have no intention of doing so.

Onlooker

Post by Onlooker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm

The club is now probably at its natural level (NLS), a sustainable level if part time. We have been haemorrhaging support for years and a lot of those people won't return. Once someone gets out of the habit of going to the match it is exceptionally difficult to get them back. I know plenty who were regular supporters who just will not go anymore. Couple this with the changing make-up of the population of the town and we get to where we are. A lot of people living in Aldershot are not what might be classed as the traditional supporter and it would seem a good percentage of the support travel from outside of the town, having once lived in Aldershot or had a connection. The death of the town will undoubtedly affect the support.

Then add the average age of the typical Aldershot supporter. I wouldn't guess this would be quite high but it would be interesting to have a comparison with, for example, Reading who do appear to have attracted a younger support through a newish stadium, a better match day experience plus new developments.

So the stadium, amongst our support there appears to be a high element of people who feel it might be a decrepit, ramshackle ground but it's our decrepit ramshackle ground. It's what we've grown up with therefore it's okay.

The club is suffering a long painful death it feels. We need to realise that the aspirations we had are probably no longer achievable.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Onlooker wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm
We have been haemorrhaging support for years
No we havent.

Accurate Shot

Post by Accurate Shot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Onlooker wrote:
The club is now probably at its natural level (NLS), a sustainable level if part time.
Can't accept that while the likes of Stevenage and Crawley are in league 2.Would say our natural level is NLP/Div 2. We will be an absolute behemoth in NLS.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Accurate Shot wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:48 pm
Onlooker wrote:
The club is now probably at its natural level (NLS), a sustainable level if part time.
Can't accept that while the likes of Stevenage and Crawley are in league 2.Would say our natural level is NLP/Div 2. We will be an absolute behemoth in NLS.
I think that you underestimate NLS, AS. Come the close season we (the club, manager, players and supporters) need to get the enthusiasm and good morale back. Unless we do that then any hope of the playoffs let alone winning NLS will be but a forlorn hope. And I don’t say that from the depths of relegation despair, but from the reality of an exceedingly poor season on the pitch. Winning and challenging will lift so many of us The Rec will seem like a different place.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:44 pm
MANNIMIST wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Apart from the obvious(relegation), paid my money and enjoyed the game. If anyone thinks I'm deluded (now THERE'S a
popular word) then so be it. Too old now to get worked up about the spittle and venom on here!
Never mind - we've only lost one in five and the G & T in my hand is numbing the pain!
Rant on at your pleasure!
Agree with that. Life’s too short.
But not for the rampant blowhards.

BillB

Post by BillB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:49 pm

no but Great expectations.....................