Match day thread vs HARTLEPOOL

chimpster99
Re: Match day thread vs HARTLEPOOL

Post by chimpster99 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Frustrating afternoon in the spring sunshine. Still don’t know why Grant tried to smash that effort in just before HT when he just had to sidefoot it home. Rens’ goal second half looked onside to me but I wasn’t level with it - delicious delivery from JBA. Yet a late midfield surrender and some loose marking undid us, it would have been annoying had Dover and BW not dealt with business in their games.

Thought we were decent without being great, Mannion my MOTM with a couple of top drawer saves at crucial moments. Pools were poor enough, but it was an entertaining game overall.

Interesting that Rob confirmed the rumour that Grant’s lack of game time has been down to discipline. Between that and Gerry’s ankle tag we seem to have ourselves a right bunch.

Looking ahead, I think GW will go as he’s switched off on the bench and completely disconnected himself from the fans. I’d actually like him to announce it now, so that everyone can relax and maybe send him off with a good luck handshake instead of thisbitterness and antagonism.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm

chimpster99 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:49 pm
Interesting that Rob confirmed the rumour that Grant’s lack of game time has been down to discipline
I’m probably not the only one, couldn’t give a toss about his discipline or off field issues as long as he does his job on matchdays and most of the time he does!

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:19 pm

[quote=Alex post_id=585757 time=1555186501 user_id=2053]
[quote=chimpster99 post_id=585752 time=1555184995 user_id=995]Interesting that Rob confirmed the rumour that Grant’s lack of game time has been down to discipline[/quote]

I’m probably not the only one, couldn’t give a toss about his discipline or off field issues as long as he does his job on matchdays and most of the time he does!
[/quote]

Fair point ... but if GW lets one of these lads get away with missing or being late for training, or for dicking about too much, what message does it send out to the others?

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm
chimpster99 wrote:
Interesting that Rob confirmed the rumour that Grant’s lack of game time has been down to discipline
Think before you type Alex !

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 pm
1zingo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 pm

In a dream world i would like shot of the board. They have proved their incompetence and we need a complete clear out. The vast majority are not football people and certainly dont have any afinity to the club. Becoming a director because youve been roped in to buying shares to plug holes in the clubs finances caused by incompetence doesnt strike me as a good business model.

Im well aware we are stuck with them.
The better question is why the BOD still wants to be stuck with you. Rather than rescue the club, Chairman Azeem could just as easily have absorbed his £300k loss and walked away. Instead, he bailed out the club only to discover that no good deed goes unpunished. He's already made it clear that this club will not always be competitive. The reasons have been set forth here numerous times. So, if you have a more productive business model, then by all means let the BOD see it. I'm sure they'll be mesmerized.
Well thats a good question. Im no genius but a business model that runs the club at losses where they are only plugged by some ponzi like scheme doesnt strike me as particularly good.

I have no idea about the best way to run the club financially, possibly matching expenditure with income might be a good place to start.

However what i do know is that alienating people like me that pay 18 every home game, cash for shots, 50 50, pay to use the hospitality, use the club bars, buy goldeb tickets and generally to the cost of my sanity followed the club up and down the country for years is not a particular good business model either.
My honest worry is that the board are only interested in the potential of what can be earnt from the new lease going forward. WE are a football club at a lower level than where we should be. The same thing I understand has happened at other clubs. The manager can be blamed for many things but he is supposed to be MANAGED by his employers like we all are. HE GW did not change the players contracts nor his own contract, the board did that. So my question is what is the boards plan to get us back to where we should be and how are they going to manage that?

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Shots1954 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm
1zingo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

The better question is why the BOD still wants to be stuck with you. Rather than rescue the club, Chairman Azeem could just as easily have absorbed his £300k loss and walked away. Instead, he bailed out the club only to discover that no good deed goes unpunished. He's already made it clear that this club will not always be competitive. The reasons have been set forth here numerous times. So, if you have a more productive business model, then by all means let the BOD see it. I'm sure they'll be mesmerized.
Well thats a good question. Im no genius but a business model that runs the club at losses where they are only plugged by some ponzi like scheme doesnt strike me as particularly good.

I have no idea about the best way to run the club financially, possibly matching expenditure with income might be a good place to start.

However what i do know is that alienating people like me that pay 18 every home game, cash for shots, 50 50, pay to use the hospitality, use the club bars, buy goldeb tickets and generally to the cost of my sanity followed the club up and down the country for years is not a particular good business model either.
My honest worry is that the board are only interested in the potential of what can be earnt from the new lease going forward. WE are a football club at a lower level than where we should be. The same thing I understand has happened at other clubs. The manager can be blamed for many things but he is supposed to be MANAGED by his employers like we all are. HE GW did not change the players contracts nor his own contract, the board did that. So my question is what is the boards plan to get us back to where we should be and how are they going to manage that?
What contracts did the board change?

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm
Shots1954 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

What contracts did the board change?
To one year contracts. This was covered by another poster in another thread....

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm

To the best of my knowledge, GW was on a rolling contract (according to the official announcement on the club’s website when he rejoined us). If you’re referring to the the end of the 16/17 season and the 12 month contracts that were given to keep the squad together, my understanding was that that was only for the following season (17/18).

shotsfantic

Post by shotsfantic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 am

pre season was incredibly strange for a team in a national league, perhaps the writing was on the wall then ? did we plan for relegation from the beginning ? the whole season seams surreal now!

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 am

Solihull away James Rowe verbally abusing a fan for asking a simple question did it for me . Rob Worrall was pulled on it ,on the way back funnily enough from Hartlepool.

readingrebel

Post by readingrebel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am

Dave wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm
Sorry to hear about your relegation today but sometimes it's better to have it finally over with I suppose.

You should smash the likes of Slough and hungerford next year.

We still have work to do but after the last few I'm confident.
Is that the same Slough that have recently beaten Woking and have just beaten third in the table Welling and are only 3 points off the play-offs?

Their are no easy games in the National South.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:07 am

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 am
Solihull away James Rowe verbally abusing a fan for asking a simple question did it for me . Rob Worrall was pulled on it ,on the way back funnily enough from Hartlepool.
This seems to have happened a few times this season with various players. What was the simple question asked?

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 am

Birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm
To the best of my knowledge, GW was on a rolling contract (according to the official announcement on the club’s website when he rejoined us). If your referring to the the end of the 16/17 season and the 12 month contracts that were given to keep the squad together, my understanding was that that was only for the following season (17/18).
I think Brian Bloomfield may be able to answer this but as I said it has been covered in another posting

Pip@B

Post by Pip@B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 am

chimpster99 wrote:
Frustrating afternoon in the spring sunshine. Still don’t know why Grant tried to smash that effort in just before HT when he just had to sidefoot it home. Rens’ goal second half looked onside to me but I wasn’t level with it - delicious delivery from JBA. Yet a late midfield surrender and some loose marking undid us, it would have been annoying had Dover and BW not dealt with business in their games.

Thought we were decent without being great, Mannion my MOTM with a couple of top drawer saves at crucial moments. Pools were poor enough, but it was an entertaining game overall.

Interesting that Rob confirmed the rumour that Grant’s lack of game time has been down to discipline. Between that and Gerry’s ankle tag we seem to have ourselves a right bunch.

Looking ahead, I think GW will go as he’s switched off on the bench and completely disconnected himself from the fans. I’d actually like him to announce it now, so that everyone can relax and maybe send him off with a good luck handshake instead of thisbitterness and antagonism.
I thought it was James Rowe that put the ball in for Rens offside 'goal'. Maybe I need a trip to Specsavers!

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 am

MANNIMIST wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Apart from the obvious(relegation), paid my money and enjoyed the game. If anyone thinks I'm deluded (now THERE'S a
popular word) then so be it. Too old now to get worked up about the spittle and venom on here!
Never mind - we've only lost one in five and the G & T in my hand is numbing the pain!
Rant on at your pleasure!
I tend to agree with this MANNIMIST. There's no disputing this season has been appalling for Aldershot fans, but there are so many of them I know who have enough character to put it behind them and start again. Take the summer off and reflect, as long as you and your families have good health then there's been no disaster in the past nine months, merely mild disappointment. Yes, football's important, but needs keeping in perspective.

Much to look forward to next season. Let's regroup and look forward to it together.