Time to be reflective

Charles Dickens
Re: Time to be reflective

Post by Charles Dickens » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Yes time for reflection and more common sense than has been evident on this message board for some considerable time.There is no disaster, NLS will give the Shots time to recover and let us enjoy our football again. So let the BOD and in particular Gary Waddock have space to prepare for next season and beyond.

I do not know if BB is correct about our financial status, but I give him the benefit of doubt due his inside knowledge.

Agreed a most welcome and positive post by Brian.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm

All of a sudden there appears to be support backing Gary Waddock and the board after an embarrassment of a season from start to finish.
Personally speaking that once the club fell into the bottom four they then should of made the change in management.
Still can’t believe we didn’t win a game in 21 matches , that’s nearly half a season !!!!!

If the change had been made maybe we wouldn’t of been reflecting !!!!

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Portly Stilton Shot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm
the crowd on his back can't have helped..
I dont recall during any game that fans have been vocally calling for the managers head.

And to be quite honest i find that amazing given the terrible run of results we have had to suffer.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Preston Shot wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 pm
If the change had been made maybe we wouldn’t of been reflecting !!!!
And if we were really being reflective and calmly thinking things through, which we should of course do, we would reflect that it was a huge mistake to "trust in Gary". We would have thought about that, and reflected on it, from the time when it became obvious that we were in huge trouble, and a strong favourite for relegation.

I find it hard to agree with this idea that Gary Waddock is somehow the man to dig us out of the hole that he got us in to. Sorry, but that smacks to me of wishful thinking.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Do you think the chairman/board are waiting to make a statement/announce a plan of action in the programme for the Havant game?

Wondering if there are any ideas to try and get people through the gates for that match?

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Time to reflect was at Xmas.....

The solution is to pay GW off which would be recouped in bigger attendance's to kick off next season. Just the curiosity and support of someone new would be enough to ensure this.

If GW stays many won't turn up and crowds dropping even further. I'm still at a loss how the hell he's still here...... :shock:

Change needs to happen immediately to give the next guy a chance and to start recruiting process in advance unlike this season's cock up.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Oliver11 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm
Time to reflect was at Xmas.....

The solution is to pay GW off which would be recouped in bigger attendance's to kick off next season. Just the curiosity and support of someone new would be enough to ensure this.

If GW stays many won't turn up and crowds dropping even further. I'm still at a loss how the hell he's still here...... :shock:

Change needs to happen immediately to give the next guy a chance and to start recruiting process in advance unlike this season's cock up.
If we win the first few games with Gary the crowds will flock back anyway.
Winning football is all that is needed.
If we start losing next season I fully expect Gary will walk.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 pm
If we win the first few games with Gary the crowds will flock back anyway.
Winning football is all that is needed.
If we start losing next season I fully expect Gary will walk.
These are all things that could have been said about THIS season ... but he didn't walk, did he? Even after breaking all records for playing losing, no-goals football.

This is more wishful thinking. Better to look coldly at the evidence.

If we start losing next season like we have done this season, it will be too late.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 pm

I understand the feeling that Waddock should have gone at Xmas, but there is a saying, "You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
The circumstances I believe would not have changed whoever took over, the pruning down of staff was proof enough that the club was in a tight financial position.
I would accede that injuries, thus being forced to play players that clearly weren't 100% fit, could not be foreseen, but it does strengthen the cause in one respect, to change the strategy was futile.
Misfortune teaches us lessons that can be invaluable in the future.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am

shotshammo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 pm
I understand the feeling that Waddock should have gone at Xmas, but there is a saying, "You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."
The circumstances I believe would not have changed whoever took over, the pruning down of staff was proof enough that the club was in a tight financial position.
I would accede that injuries, thus being forced to play players that clearly weren't 100% fit, could not be foreseen, but it does strengthen the cause in one respect, to change the strategy was futile.
Misfortune teaches us lessons that can be invaluable in the future.
The pruning down of staff certainly wasn't done on the playing side and GW went through / had plenty of players especially since the New Year - the only problem is that the players either weren't good enough or missed managed. Fault either way GW.

GW has looked like someone who's taken too many punches and the towel needing throwing in for him - the BOD should've done this. The body language and interviews weren't right whatsoever, and in not so many words saying its not my fault - a manager with balls would've met this head on.

The constant weeks of not fielding a full bench when we had academy players available showed another 'look at poor me I haven't the players' hence why we keep losing - yeah the academy players might not be ready but anybody on the pitch is better than none.

If anyone knows of a manager who's performed so badly yet still not sacked then please tell me who...??

The CEO debacle I think came to an end because Laura wasn't doing what the BOD had hoped for. Making the right decisions and taking the strain generally - when the BOD realised this mistakes had already been done.

The BOD have their own agendas and businesses putting in place people to take the club forward but unfortunately this is easier said than done and hasn't worked.

Can't beat running it yourself, as its your own money, failing that install people that have a proven track record with passion and care for the club - there's a few on this board that could shake things up and help the BOD and club.

Ancient Shot

Post by Ancient Shot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

Oliver11 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am
- there's a few on this board that could shake things up and help the BOD and club.
Really?

Keyboard warriors / managers / directors and self promoting oddballs apart who are these people?

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:46 am

Oliver 11 As I've said on another topic, know the facts before you criticise.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:46 am

Oliver 11 As I've said on another topic, know the facts before you criticise.

Portly Stilton Shot

Post by Portly Stilton Shot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

Oliver 11, I wondered how long it would be before you jumped on the bandwagon. You've nailed your colours to the mast on countless previous threads, this one though was aimed at a little rational thinking. To be honest it's starting to become somewhat boring. Full respect for your opinion of course.

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am
Oliver11 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am
- there's a few on this board that could shake things up and help the BOD and club.
Really?

Keyboard warriors / managers / directors and self promoting oddballs apart who are these people?
For the many....being on the BOD of a football club is a move driven by a simple personal agenda. One that has nothing to do with the emotions that ‘we’ all hold and love.

650 MPs sit at Westminster... are they jointly the best people in the UK to get our country moving forwards...dealing with all of the complex issues that confront our national interests. I guess they are there because really competent people are simply too busy.

I’m happy to separate my love of visiting the Recreation Ground from any desire to be involved...no doubt like many others, I keep football on a Saturday as far away from business as possible. Leave the off-pitch issues to the self-interested ‘politicians’.