Squads taking shape

Alan B
Re: Squads taking shape

Post by Alan B » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 am

Oliver11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:46 am
Rob Elvins :lol: will go down as one of the worst players to wear the shirt.

Grant had a great season 07/08 but was a one off and found out in League 2.

Ray Warburton - now there was a REAL pro!
Why do some people find it necessary to denigrate players who gave their best for Aldershot Town FC and especially when they were part of a squad who achieved the ultimate prize.

If I was Rob Elvins reading the above post, I’d be thinking ‘I don’t care what Oliver thinks - I’m sat here looking at a Conference winners medal and Setanta Shield medal, how many players can say that?’

All of that squad had faults or weaknesses but they gelled as a squad and everybody played their part. To be able to say ‘I was part of a group of people who achieved promotion to the Football League, nobody can take that away from me’. That’s something most people can only dream of. They deserve our respect.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 am

Alan B wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 am
Oliver11 wrote:

Why do some people find it necessary to denigrate players who gave their best for Aldershot Town FC and especially when they were part of a squad who achieved the ultimate prize.

If I was Rob Elvins reading the above post, I’d be thinking ‘I don’t care what Oliver thinks - I’m sat here looking at a Conference winners medal and Setanta Shield medal, how many players can say that?’

All of that squad had faults or weaknesses but they gelled as a squad and everybody played their part. To be able to say ‘I was part of a group of people who achieved promotion to the Football League, nobody can take that away from me’. That’s something most people can only dream of. They deserve our respect.
We are all entitled to our opinion Alan and you'll be in the minority thinking he was a decent player - I'd put him in the same category as McClure who achieved relegation last season, however he wasn't as fortunate to play with better players like Elvins did.

Shots91

Post by Shots91 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53 am

I really enjoyed the day of football and sun down at bagshot lea last Saturday it was great to have the football back on show for all of us.
It started off nice with the new players and danny mixing in with the fans and actually giving his time to meet the shots fans, for me I took a liking to him straight away. That was a thumbs up from me.

The game its self was ok, was nice to see a few goals and a win. Dont matter If it is just pre season and against lower opposition it's still always a nice feeling.

Players wise it was good to see him put out a team that looks like could be more our starting line up, give us an idea what we could be seeing, but I must say I was more impressed with the second half with the academy and trialist.
I'm glad he has signed some of the trialist already as some have deserved it. I still think a few more could be signed as well. The best thing so far is obviously the signing of Fowler which is fantastic

Now..I still think we need a decent striker to get anywhere this season...so zebroski I think we can all say theres split opinions on him. Yes I will admit hes got a dodgy past but from what I saw of him was what we have been missing for a long time now. You could see he had fire in his belly, strength and ability. We cant be to fussy, So I personally would have him in the team no matter the past, but i hear hes gone now anyways!

The most satisfying thing I saw in that game was zebroski scoring the header from a corner with a lot of strength and power to that goal. It was something we haven't seen in a long time and was so refreshing to see. That is what we are still lacking in this team we got. If we can find a player similar to zebroski I think we will be alright for this season, if we don't I think we are going to struggle again. So fingers crossed we get our physical player before the season kicks on. I'm sure when pompy comes to town next week, that'll be our test to see where we're at as a team!

I hope we have a good season and more entertaining this time round, hopefully we'll get some fans back through the gate again and get the rec rocking again like the good days.

All enjoy 👍

aldershot-jg

Post by aldershot-jg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Alan B wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 am
I decided to refer back to Charlie Oliver’s excellent book ‘The Shots are back’ last night and apologise for failing to mention some other young players who played their part that year - Rob Elvins scored some important goals and our own Dave Winfield and Danny Hilton provided important cover to the team too. Scott Donnelly came along later but scored that precious goal at Exeter and started to look a player for the future.

For me, the player of the season was one of the older players, John Grant. His 25 goals in all competitions were so crucial and a lovely unassuming bloke too - how we could do with someone like him now...

COYS
Every player of that squad played their part and contributed, Elvins was not a fan favourite but when he did score they proved to be important goals in those games. Grant was one of our better players but Nikki Bull was player of the year, even by Nikki’s own standards he went beyond that.

GuyB

Post by GuyB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Oliver11 wrote:

Yes, Warburton was a bit special in so many ways.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Alan B wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:

Never understood it either, even if people don’t think they were all that, why not just thank them for their efforts and move on. At the end of the day, they are still ten times a better player than anyone on here.

MidlandsShot

Post by MidlandsShot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Danny appears to be assembling an exciting young squad. I've been impressed by the pedigree of some of his signings, such as Tinkler and Walker in particular, while having trialists such as Deverdics reflects well on Danny.

I do understand the concerns regarding youth and a lack of physicality but hopefully Danny and Anwar can get more out this squad than Gary and James Rowe could last year. A lot of the time last year people were comparing our squad to that we had under Barry Smith, with many preferring our squad last season on paper. I guess it shows just how important it is that the team gel and that the management get things right tactically and are able to get the best out of their squad.

I do think we are perhaps a goal scorer light but there are some young players who could be due a break through season. We know how hard it is to find genuine goal scorers at this level. It's just a shame Gary didn't look after Reece Grant well, because he would have been a real asset.

Let's give Danny and co a chance. I've got a good feeling that we could enjoy this season.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm
MITCH WALKER GK
AARON EYOMA RB,RW
ROBBIE TINKLER RB
KODI LYONS FOSTER CB
OLIVER ODWYER CB
GEORGE FOWLER CB
ALEX FINNEY CB
LEWIS KINSELLA LB
ALFY WHITTINGHAM CM
DEAN RANCE CM
JAMES ROWE CM
ETHAN CHISLETT CM
ALEFE SANTOS RW,CM,
JACOB BERKLEY AGYEPONG CF,LW
CONNOR SHIELDS RW,CF,LW
SHAMIR MULLINGS 1.8.19. CF
HARRISON PANAYIOTOU CF

NICKY DEVERDICS TRIALLIST CM,LB

ANTHONY JEFFREY TRIALLIST LW

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am

Oliver11 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 am
Alan B wrote:
Oliver11 wrote:

We are all entitled to our opinion Alan and you'll be in the minority thinking he was a decent player - I'd put him in the same category as McClure who achieved relegation last season, however he wasn't as fortunate to play with better players like Elvins did.
You make a very good point Mike B.
I wonder how much some our more "judgemental" supporters have achieved in life and how they would cope with type of critisism that they dish out, week in weeke out.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Who cares what those goons think
Well apparently everything they say about SA is gospel............

ACA

Post by ACA » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:44 am

Cph.shots wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 am
Ancient Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Who cares what those goons think
Well apparently everything they say about SA is gospel............
"You'll see..."

:wink:

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 am

Bridgyshot wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 pm
Like chineham stated we are not quite premier league, but at any level when you have a blank canvas of a new season ahead, why always look on the dark side of everything, we have people in charge now that will give it a good crack . You can’t run without walking first . Down here in the West Country if Yeovil don’t go up first time of asking, they will be burning there manager on a funeral pyre.
welcome to Bridgey, Chineham and '91, new and open minded posters, a breath of fresh air.

Ecuador17

Post by Ecuador17 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am
Oliver11 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I wonder how much some our more "judgemental" supporters have achieved in life and how they would cope with type of critisism that they dish out, week in weeke out.
I agree with you CPH, but I wonder how many of the ' staff ' actually read these comments and are possibly affected by them.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Ecuador17 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm
Cph.shots wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am
Oliver11 wrote:

I agree with you CPH, but I wonder how many of the ' staff ' actually read these comments and are possibly affected by them.
Hopefully not many on here but I guess just as nuch get's dished out on Twiiter and whatever too.
It's more the principal of it, I'm guessing Oliver11 probably wouldn't have the nerve to say what he's written to Rob Elvin's face for example.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

For Heavens sakes, this domain getting more like Parliament every day. If anyone's opinion differs in the slightest ,folk from all angles get upset.

Here, I thought Rob Elvins was pretty poor BUT he still contributed with a few goals and was a part of a pretty good squad.

But what is WORST at the moment, NOBODY has a clue how this current squad will do, some getting bit carried away based on pre-season friendlies, others thinking it is looking pretty poor group of players.

Let me tell you all, I couldn't care less until football breaks out in proper meaning ... then and then only will I be critical. It matters diddly squat what happened in previous seasons, that is history. If we do well as always praise will be dished out, if players perform awfully they will get what criticism it deserves. If folk flinch at my opinions or argue against, so be it. It'll be based what happens on the pitch not how nice folk are off it.

The only emotion that gets fans going is mostly concerning results and that is what football is all about. Players, Managers, BOD's, Fans etc etc need to get thicker skins if what's written on here or Twits upsets them.

COYS