Match day thread vs SOLIHULL

Fuggletim
Re: Match day thread vs SOLIHULL

Post by Fuggletim » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Wakefield Shots wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:28 pm
Also have to say that was one of the worst refs I have ever seen.
Worse than Ron Challis? 😀

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm
Wakefield Shots wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:28 pm
Also have to say that was one of the worst refs I have ever seen.
Worse than Ron Challis? 😀
Referees are stepping up into leagues too soon and beyond their capabilities. Unfortunately that’s inevitable when 60 senior officials are needed to referee 10 Premier League matches every weekend. All leagues below the Premier will suffer.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:43 am

SteveyAsp wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 pm
I’m not sure what Rob was describing but we weren’t great, the goal came out of nowhere as we didn’t look like scoring all afternoon.
We ran around a lot and battled hard but it was men against boys...
Solihull aren’t any great shakes....They play the way they play and do it well.
Many will give Danny a pass because he does the PR well but that was as bad as any game we played last season and if Waddock had been manager then he’d have been roasted.
We’re not going to win many games scoring one goal a game.
Now many of you won’t be happy reading this but hey the truth hurts sometimes.
At least we score goals. Under Waddock we didn't. This current side fight untill the end. Losing but still battling and scoring at end of game.
Last season opponents went ahead and we gave up.

You say we are not going to win many games scoring one goal a game. How many games last season did we score a goal?

JOELC26

Post by JOELC26 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 am

I listened to the game on the radio and it was probably as I suspected. It sounded as if we battled hard and to be fair it sounded minus the penalties that we kept Blissett and McCallum quiet. A windy day will always involve battles in the air which given their size they are always likely to win.

I think us as fans have to be realistic here. We have played Fylde (4th last year and relatively unchanged) and Solihull (2nd last year and relatively unchanged) and lost 2-1 not terrible results. They also have had a year to understand the managers philosophy and the ability of their teammates and ours haven’t yet.

My summary of the 3 games is this. We are making 2-4 mistakes a game defensively as it stands and as the season goes on we need to cut these out.
Going forward we seem to not quite get the final ball/cross/shot.

Now we have a slightly more realistic set of fixtures to get points from starting with Bromley at home. Again like I said ahead of the Woking game, a game where we are more likely to understand our level.

I would only be concerned if by October this was still happening. People have to remember We have a new team and manager and it does take time. Again proud of the battle and hopefully the results will start coming.
Last edited by JOELC26 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:46 am

Barring Halifax and Torquay and Woking our first ten games are against teams that finished in the top ten last season.
The two sides we have lost to are two of the bookies favourites.
The next 3 games are all winnable and with our home support behind the team again we have new found belief.
Please get behind the team nd have faith.
I for one am happy with the performances so far.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:33 am

What were the offences for the penalties?

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:36 am

From where I was standing, it was for breathing and sneezing too close to the Solihull players. Meanwhile blatant elbows from Blissett in the centre circle going unpunished.

Complacency will kill us in these two upcoming home fixtures. Fax and Bromley may be unfashionable names, and Fax especially were written off pre-season. But both have started well, we are coming up against more in-form teams here.

Alf W

Post by Alf W » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am

I went yesterday and thought our boys did alright against an expensively assembled, but cynical and certainly not pretty Solihull. Last time I went was when a Benyu inspired Shots played them off the park with scintillating attacking and passing. As someone else observed, the ground has been transformed with impressive stands and seating. However their support barely mustered two men and a dog and there was little atmosphere.

In terms of the game itself, I thought we coped by and large pretty well with their expensive forwards and were undone by giving away an avoidable penalty and a long range wind assisted shot where their player probably should have been better closed down. We tried very hard but it just didnt come off yesterday and alot of passes either went astray or didnt stick.

I thought the referee must be up with the worst. A total "homer" blowing up for any small infringement from our men but ignoring the blatent pushing and elbows of the opposition. The cynical nature of Solihull reached a new low when their young ball boy, seemingly under instructions, refused to release the ball back and was then applauded by one of their giant defenders.

I thought Mitch did well, Rowe tried hard to get things going and Mullins was a handful. What I really liked was the gritty determination and refusal to give up. After we pulled the goal back, we had them on the ropes, but ran out of time. Hopefully we will start to gell even more and do enough to stay up this season which is what I am hoping as its difficult to compete at the top end of the table with heavily funded clubs like Solihull, Fylde etc,,,,,,

Wakefield Shots

Post by Wakefield Shots » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Alf W wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am
I went yesterday and thought our boys did alright against an expensively assembled, but cynical and certainly not pretty Solihull. Last time I went was when a Benyu inspired Shots played them off the park with scintillating attacking and passing. As someone else observed, the ground has been transformed with impressive stands and seating. However their support barely mustered two men and a dog and there was little atmosphere.

In terms of the game itself, I thought we coped by and large pretty well with their expensive forwards and were undone by giving away an avoidable penalty and a long range wind assisted shot where their player probably should have been better closed down. We tried very hard but it just didnt come off yesterday and alot of passes either went astray or didnt stick.

I thought the referee must be up with the worst. A total "homer" blowing up for any small infringement from our men but ignoring the blatent pushing and elbows of the opposition. The cynical nature of Solihull reached a new low when their young ball boy, seemingly under instructions, refused to release the ball back and was then applauded by one of their giant defenders.

I thought Mitch did well, Rowe tried hard to get things going and Mullins was a handful. What I really liked was the gritty determination and refusal to give up. After we pulled the goal back, we had them on the ropes, but ran out of time. Hopefully we will start to gell even more and do enough to stay up this season which is what I am hoping as its difficult to compete at the top end of the table with heavily funded clubs like Solihull, Fylde etc,,,,,,
This exactly.

Nth stand moaner

Post by Nth stand moaner » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm

OMG. Ron Challis,. There's a referee who hated us for sure, horrible little man.

Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:43 am
SteveyAsp wrote:
I’m not sure what Rob was describing but we weren’t great, the goal came out of nowhere as we didn’t look like scoring all afternoon.
Many will give Danny a pass because he does the PR well but that was as bad as any game we played last season and if Waddock had been manager then he’d have been roasted.
At least we score goals. Under Waddock we didn't. This current side fight untill the end. Losing but still battling and scoring at end of game.

You say we are not going to win many games scoring one goal a game. How many games last season did we score a goal?
Hmmmm, yes our goal ratio is higher than last year (1.0 goals per game as opposed to 0.8 goals per game last season), but it's still poor when you consider that last season 19 teams had a better ratio than 1.0 goals per game.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Ian Rust wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:04 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:43 am
SteveyAsp wrote:

Hmmmm, yes our goal ratio is higher than last year (1.0 goals per game as opposed to 0.8 goals per game last season), but it's still poor when you consider that last season 19 teams had a better ratio than 1.0 goals per game.
We’ve played 2 sides who are tipped to and probably will do well plus a derby game so the one per game will improve!

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Doing the goal ratio after 3 games is ridiculous!

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Oliver11 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Doing the goal ratio after 3 games is ridiculous!
Yes

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Nth stand moaner wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm
OMG. Ron Challis,. There's a referee who hated us for sure, horrible little man.
Absolutely true . Always gave penalties against us and never gave us a thing. Remember v Wimbledon away in 1977 ; somehow he'd allowed us to go 2-1 up then gave anything he could to the Don's including a ludicrous penalty at the end; cue pitch invasion. The headline the next day was "Johnson saves ref and penalty" after dragging people off and saving the pen to give us the win. Never understood it. Did he get a hard time on national service or something ? Don't think he reffed us again after-but I remember being astonished when he got the Cup Final some years later. Remember he gave us zilch and Lincoln City all he could (including a pen) in the Cup the year before. Yeah, it was a special Lincoln side (Graham Taylor's 74 point/111 goal D4 champions) but even then Challis helped them out.