Match Night Thread - Bromley

ashshot
Re: Match Night Thread - Bromley

Post by ashshot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:11 am

One of the biggest threats in our penalty area, is Mullings, the way he bear hugs an opposite player without giving away a penalty, can only be down to inept officials !

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 am
Oliver11 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
Well tonight was an important game to tip the balance one way or the other for some, sadly it was our worst performance from the opening four games.

The starting midfield line up (too lightweight) added with only one recognised striker upfront set alarm bells ringing.

It's clear scoring this season is going to be an issue and the current attacking system isn't bringing the outcome we need.

IMO Mullings has much more to offer than he's showing and Danny needs to think how to change this around. I don't think he's getting much service but equally he's too busy scrapping for the ball and not getting the other side of the defenders along with poor link up play.

All night Bromley had every player behind the ball when they lost possession and overall was too easy for them - similar to us against Woking last week.

Athough we performed better 2nd half we still didn't offer enough imagination and willingness to break the lines and create chances. Emoya was the only bright spark that looked capable of beating his man and producing anything.

The defence are doing a solid job (take out the set plays) and wouldn't mind letting them get on with it and let the midfield pushing forward more often to support the forwards.

Still definitely in the Searle In camp Anon and confident he won't go 21 games without a win like his predecessor.
Let’s see how long you support him ? Probably
Longer now i’ve made a point of it which is a good thing.

Danny even said ‘It is what it is’ for the second time during his post match interviews. I know how
Much you like that.
More acceptable for Danny to say it ?
Yeah I'll get permission from you Anon when / if I lose faith in Danny - I think it's fair that if he reaches the landmark of 21 I can jump ship?

Send my regards to Gary, I know your extremely close x

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Yes a disappointing performance from bromlee considering the 'money' they've spent.. Although obviously that didn't seem evedent on the pitch.. If the shots had survived being clearly second best and having to resort to time wasting, cheating etc I wonder what the reaction would be on here.. Like I say, it wouldn't surprise if bromlee end up in a relegation fight...

Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot

Post by Marcus ex W.Midlands Shot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm

The ref was very weak in his response to Bromley's timewasting, which he allowed to become an irritating feature of the game. However, he didn't miss the target with a free header from eight yards out - that was one of our players.

I felt after the first game, in which our only goal was credited to Shields but was in fact a miscue or deflection, that we would struggle to score goals and nothing since has changed my mind. A difficult season awaits.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Interesting to hear all this hoo-ha over Bromley’s time wasting, when ours was equally as bad at Woking.

Boatman007

Post by Boatman007 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I am concerned at what appears to be a lack of strength in terms of physique of the majority of our players in height bulk and power the last 3 games and we appear to be smaller and weaker than the majority of the opposition team . I fear that although we look good with the ball at feet we have a lack of aerial and physical strength which I think most other size seem to have and have built a team to basically muscle their way out of this division.
Danny needs to get them fit and bulk out and be hard in to tackles without of course giving too may free kicks or bookings away. Long season ahead.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm
Interesting to hear all this hoo-ha over Bromley’s time wasting, when ours was equally as bad at Woking.
Every team does similar when protecting a lead but Bromley took it to another level (much worse than us at Woking!) and the referee let them get away with it.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 am
Danny even said ‘It is what it is’ for the second time during his post match interviews. I know how
Much you like that.
More acceptable for Danny to say it ?
It depends entirety on the context, me old Mouse.

It's a horrible ugly truism that you hear far too often. I hate it. It is usually taken to mean "There is nothing I/we can do about it". Gary Waddock trotted it out time and again last year in an attempt to excuse the poor performances and league position of the team. It was obvious that these were his responsibility and so he was effectively denying this.

By contrast, Danny used it last night when saying that there was nothing he or the players could do about the poor refereeing of the game, which was allowing Bromley to cheat their way through the game.

So completely different context, and not comparable situations by any means.

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm

The way to overcome timewasting by the other team is to keep possession of the ball and don't let them get it. Keep putting in crosses to their keeper so he can catch it and fall on the floor in a heap for 30 seconds or longer, or having two on the bench make so much fuss that the ref has to take time out to book them and send them off in the last few minutes, does not help matters

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Don’t go 1-0 down, that would be handy

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Alex wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:30 pm
Turnkey wrote:
Every team does similar when protecting a lead but Bromley took it to another level (much worse than us at Woking!) and the referee let them get away with it.
I disagree, you’ve got a bit of rose tinted specs going on there. Our ‘game management’ was equally as tedious as Bromley’s ‘time wasting’.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm
Don’t go 1-0 down, that would be handy
:D ... as would passing sideways, backwards and losing possession...

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Yes always amazes me as people see it as ' controlling the game' lol..when in reality during the second half they couldn't muster any attacking play at all. To be fair to bromlee if they are looking at flirting with play offs then I think we'll get there before them.

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Boatman007 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm
I am concerned at what appears to be a lack of strength in terms of physique of the majority of our players in height bulk and power the last 3 games and we appear to be smaller and weaker than the majority of the opposition team . I fear that although we look good with the ball at feet we have a lack of aerial and physical strength which I think most other size seem to have and have built a team to basically muscle their way out of this division.
Danny needs to get them fit and bulk out and be hard in to tackles without of course giving too may free kicks or bookings away. Long season ahead.
You could also argue that some of these players were carrying a bit of weight which was evedent in their performance at times. We noted particularly the bromlea left back who struggled against our winger and was dreadfully exposed speed wise and couldn't turn. So weight is not always an advantage...