So whos been punished?

Giles
So whos been punished?

Post by Giles » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

So after 10 games of the new season whether you think we will improve or not lets face it, its not a good start. The football ain't great, relegation favourites, attendances a bit poor so far, same ole with injuries (unbelievably with the same ole players), same ole no striker.

Contrast that with Gateshead who fair enough aren't top of the league but they are upper mid table & have only lost one game so far this campaign, so who's been punished? From where i'm standing it looks like Aldershot fans, we're being subjected to what unthinkably looks like a season worse than last! Personally I think we should have got relegated, we deserved it & maybe down a division we'd have been able to rebuild at a more sustainable level, meanwhile Gateshead have done just that, they might bounce back 1st time they might not but at least their fans might enjoy it.

COYS

Les Briley
Re: So whos been punished?

Post by Les Briley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Giles wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm
So after 10 games of the new season whether you think we will improve or not lets face it, its not a good start. The football ain't great, relegation favourites, attendances a bit poor so far, same ole with injuries (unbelievably with the same ole players), same ole no striker.

Contrast that with Gateshead who fair enough aren't top of the league but they are upper mid table & have only lost one game so far this campaign, so who's been punished? From where i'm standing it looks like Aldershot fans, we're being subjected to what unthinkably looks like a season worse than last! Personally I think we should have got relegated, we deserved it & maybe down a division we'd have been able to rebuild at a more sustainable level, meanwhile Gateshead have done just that, they might bounce back 1st time they might not but at least their fans might enjoy it.

COYS
Always better to be the highest league possible, the problem is most of this squad aren't good enough for the National League.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Giles me old mucker, I'm always concerned when our fans think relegation is an answer to future improvement, one step back rarely gets two steps forward in quick succession. Financially it would be disastrous as well in my eyes, no way would many of our fans pay £18 to watch lesser quality league football. Sponsors hardly likely to pay out for less national exposure, gates would drop, money income likewise and any "floating" support would seek alternative football fix.

That would leave us die-hards and they get fewer every season, I've never known so many regular faces now missing at games, let alone faced with further gloom in lower leagues.

Personally, think with each kick in the teeth we see each season the life of the club slowly sucking out. I'm being honest in saying my love of attending games is in the wane, if wasn't for the very good bunch of gangsters in The Ratings Mob I think I'd be seen less ... and heard less, which possibly would be a good thing to many :lol:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Spot on Dr Jim, relegation would have been a disaster and there is absolutely no guarantee that with so much money washing around in NLS we would have bounced straight back up again. Always fight to be as high and as good as you can be, being in this league is something that should never be given up until the very last second of the very last minute of the very last hour of the very last day etc...

One thing though which was interesting about the end of last season was that because nearly all out sponsors are also genuine supporters most of them had already renewed their sponsorships without demanding reductions in price when we thought we were going down. That was why some may recall I posted at the time how we as individuals should do all we can to use the services and products of our sponsors to show our gratitude for their loyalty.

Barrya48

Post by Barrya48 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Sorry Richard, I refuse to get diabetes to support one of our sponsors

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Spot on Dr Jim, relegation would have been a disaster and there is absolutely no guarantee that with so much money washing around in NLS we would have bounced straight back up again. Always fight to be as high and as good as you can be, being in this league is something that should never be given up until the very last second of the very last minute of the very last hour of the very last day etc...

One thing though which was interesting about the end of last season was that because nearly all out sponsors are also genuine supporters most of them had already renewed their sponsorships without demanding reductions in price when we thought we were going down. That was why some may recall I posted at the time how we as individuals should do all we can to use the services and products of our sponsors to show our gratitude for their loyalty.
Agree, so many of our Sponsors are like Die-Hard fans and they should be thanked big time for their continuous support of the Club. My worry is more about the "normal type Die-Hard", those folk who don't have the money or Companies to call upon in extra support financially of the Club. It just seems they are a diminishing number and when you look around The Rec now the lack of numbers in Youthful support is most certainly lacking.

Let's face it, any Rally Calling we do on Shotsweb, Facebook, Twitter etc etc it is already to a lesser audience. We are in desperate need of some type of morale boosting event to actually take place within the Club right now, hopes of a new ground in 5/10 years time aint gonna fill that void right this minute and we sure as hell are not seeing improvements on the pitch, especially home form where in truth it matters most.

COYS

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Barrya48 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Sorry Richard, I refuse to get diabetes to support one of our sponsors
:lol:

Giles

Post by Giles » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm
Giles me old mucker, I'm always concerned when our fans think relegation is an answer to future improvement, one step back rarely gets two steps forward in quick succession. Financially it would be disastrous as well in my eyes, no way would many of our fans pay £18 to watch lesser quality league football. Sponsors hardly likely to pay out for less national exposure, gates would drop, money income likewise and any "floating" support would seek alternative football fix.
I certainly don't think relegation is a good thing :lol: more so that we finished bottom 4 & deserved it, I don't think it would have been as catastrophic as you think either, as Richard has said sponsors were already signed up, budgets agreed etc. Pie in the sky I know but pretty sure we wouldn't have struggled in conf south & winning games whatever level you are at keeps your loyal fans happy, my point was more about who's suffering though & not the implications of what didn't happen :)

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Defeatist longing for relegation is not the answer, it will only bring more misery. The remedy for the Shots plight means facing up to reality. The manager with his FIFA red book is the problem. And his chosen squad appears not up to National League standard.

We fans are being punished and are walking away. A change must come soon.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm always concerned when our fans think relegation is an answer to future improvement, one step back rarely gets two steps forward in quick succession. Financially it would be disastrous as well in my eyes, no way would many of our fans pay £18 to watch lesser quality league football. Sponsors hardly likely to pay out for less national exposure, gates would drop, money income likewise and any "floating" support would seek alternative football fix.
This exactly.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Who's been punished - put that to the Gateshead fans and I know you'll get a very abrupt answer!

We've been given a gift, a massive gift and should be extremely grateful.

Ok things aren't going well on the field but impossible to turn around within a short period - NO!

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm
Defeatist longing for relegation is not the answer, it will only bring more misery. The remedy for the Shots plight means facing up to reality. The manager with his FIFA red book is the problem. And his chosen squad appears not up to National League standard.

A real paradox in this.... we certainly should have taken the reprieve, but we appear to have recruited a Conf South level Manager, and players to match.

They may develop into something great, they may not, time will tell. Early indications are not encouraging.

What can we do about it? Well, I don't go as often as I used to as I live in Wales, but there have been periods of time where I've gone to games out of habit and duty as much as expectation.... I we are in another of those times.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm

As with GW last season, I don't think DS was spoilt for choice and-like last season-had to sling a side together weeks before the season's KO. And these days, Aldershot certainly isn't a club players are queuing up to come to. But no matter, the end result is a circle of poor football ,dire results (especially at home) and people walking away and nothing to get us out of this downward spiral. We need huge changes to get back to the days of being a club looking for a place in the FL and few of these needed changes have much to do with whoever we appoint as manager. The whole set up at the club seems to be "Trust to lady luck" and at present that's all I feel I can trust to. Maybe she'll smile on us before long !

FleetShot

Post by FleetShot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:57 pm

I certainly don't think relegation is a good thing :lol: more so that we finished bottom 4 & deserved it, I don't think it would have been as catastrophic as you think either, as Richard has said sponsors were already signed up, budgets agreed etc. Pie in the sky I know but pretty sure we wouldn't have struggled in conf south & winning games whatever level you are at keeps your loyal fans happy, my point was more about who's suffering though & not the implications of what didn't happen :)
[/quote]

I have seen as much National south as I have National League this season spending my time between Weymouth and The SHOTS. I think you are wrong in your assumption, the squad we have would be mid table at best in the South league. Some good teams down there this season.