Corona Virus

Post Reply
Mytshot
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: Mytchett
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Mytshot » Sat May 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Yes, you are right.

Shall we mention Alastair Campbell instead?

How many WMD did we find?
Quite right to mention Campbell. Cummings, Campbell - they're all the same. Unelected and clearly both unaccountable.

Localshot
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Localshot » Sat May 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:55 pm
Could be worse; you might have Diane Abbot thinking for you.
At least she would've been elected
As indeed are the current cabinet. Not sure what your point is. Cummings is an advisor...no more no less. Every business has them. Leaders then make their decision.

Looks like more point scoring.

There is no evidence Cummings has done wrong as was explained at the latest update. However it wasn't helpful. Just like everyone driving many miles and parking illegally or trying to camp overnight. Perhaps they should all resign as well.

Crowthorne
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:18 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Crowthorne » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Aitken Archer Mandelson Vaz I could go on and on the political class treat us like mugs.

Mytshot
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: Mytchett
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Mytshot » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

I just wish they'd said at the height of the pandemic that in fact you DIDN'T have to stay at home if you were displaying coronavirus symptoms and could actually drive 250 miles to an elderly relative's house. Why didn't they say? I could've sworn you could only leave your house for work if you were a key worker, to get essential supplies or for daily exercise. Annoyed with myself that I got it so wrong and have wasted 8 weeks staying at home.

redblueuptoyou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Mytshot wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm
I just wish they'd said at the height of the pandemic that in fact you DIDN'T have to stay at home if you were displaying coronavirus symptoms and could actually drive 250 miles to an elderly relative's house. Why didn't they say? I could've sworn you could only leave your house for work if you were a key worker, to get essential supplies or for daily exercise. Annoyed with myself that I got it so wrong and have wasted 8 weeks staying at home.
So many of us didn’t understand ‘Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives’.

Trouts
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Trouts » Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 pm
DC has made a major contribution to the success of the British Government for example in implementing Brexit as required by the Referendum. His poor judgement whilst suffering from the coronavirus was a mistake but perhaps understandable given his personal circumstances at the time.He is employed as an advisor and is not a Government Minister, therefore, a slap on the wrist should be sufficient punishment.
an advisor? like the scientist that was forced to resign huh...
absolutely one rule for one and one for the rest of us. the 'lockdown' will completely breakdown/fail if he gets away with flouting the rules.

Trouts
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Trouts » Sat May 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm
Trouts wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm
Localshot wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm


Not a big fan of Boris but if not him in charge it would have been Jeremy. Gawd help us with that scenario.
not necessarily, there were other choices.
and yes yes i know, not proven etc, but c'mon, would we really be in a worse place than we are now?...
The situation that we are in now is as a result of a pandemic, not the fault of Boris or Jeremy or even Trump, though not too sure about China.The suggestion that a different Government(Labour) would have performed better, is as admitted not proven and simply playing party politics out of an international crisis. Leave this to Kier Hardie, who is very good at it.
disagree. the position we, the UK, are in is very much the responsibility of our government.
that's why we elect them, to run the country.

tonygodfrey
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by tonygodfrey » Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm

Other countries show what might have been achieved had we acted differently. Germany, Denmark, Greece, Korea (which was initially hit badly) Thailand etc etc all have dealt with it much better through good governance and better public health readiness.

Even now the mixed messaging and continued lack of proper contact tracing is inexcusable. And why impose a 2 week quarantine now but not initially when it would have much greater benefit?

And those of you defending Cummings surely cannot be serious???? Can you?

Pip@B
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am
Location: more remote than Nobby's world
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pip@B » Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Plenty of people have flouted the 'rules',or'advice' as described by the BBC.If we sack everyone for that there will be no one at work.The CPC gave the Police guidance on what was and was not likely to be a breach of the regulations.As it appears that he had a visit from the Police and no further action was taken,it is likely that the Police or CPC thought that a court would view his actions reasonable under the circumstances,and unlikely to be successfully be prosecuted.All the rest of it is just pure politics.

Fuggletim
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Whitehill
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Few people believe “Official” Figures in the Philippines judging by my connections in the county (and my experience of travel there of over 30 x years) and this is perhaps significant about what and how other countries report.

However, with the alleged reports that Philippine President Duterte saying that he will shoot quarantine violators, could anyone see this happening here? My municipality has been under EQ (Enhanced Quarantine) since March and if you are under 21 and over 50 you are not allowed out, and should you seek solace in a few San Mig beers, forget it as alcohol possession and consumption is banned.

I know I am in record here saying that lockdown is something we could not have contemplated as it isn’t “British”, but a “Shoot to kill” policy and the quarantine highlighted above is rather extreme.

Would we tolerate this in the UK? I think we all know the answer.

Wish our front line at the Rec didn’t demonstrate a reluctance to shoot though!
Last edited by Fuggletim on Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pip@B
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am
Location: more remote than Nobby's world
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pip@B » Sat May 23, 2020 6:54 pm

tonygodfrey wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Other countries show what might have been achieved had we acted differently. Germany, Denmark, Greece, Korea (which was initially hit badly) Thailand etc etc all have dealt with it much better through good governance and better public health readiness.

Even now the mixed messaging and continued lack of proper contact tracing is inexcusable. And why impose a 2 week quarantine now but not initially when it would have much greater benefit?

And those of you defending Cummings surely cannot be serious???? Can you?
If Cummings has done nothing illegal,which seems to be the case,then he can be defended for looking after his family.

And those of you attacking Cummins for that surely cant be serious???Can You?
Next people will be defending lynch mobs.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:00 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Trouts wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pm
Charles Dickens wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 pm
DC has made a major contribution to the success of the British Government for example in implementing Brexit as required by the Referendum. His poor judgement whilst suffering from the coronavirus was a mistake but perhaps understandable given his personal circumstances at the time.He is employed as an advisor and is not a Government Minister, therefore, a slap on the wrist should be sufficient punishment.
an advisor? like the scientist that was forced to resign huh...
absolutely one rule for one and one for the rest of us. the 'lockdown' will completely breakdown/fail if he gets away with flouting the rules.
Not sure you can really compare a bloke breaking lockdown rules in the interests of getting his leg over with a bloke arguably bending the rules out of concern for his family.

But we know that you wouldnt be satisfied if Cummings had walked 200 miles on his hands to personally deliver ppe to 'our nhs' paid for out of his own pocket because he just has a different political view to you.

ACA
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by ACA » Sat May 23, 2020 7:53 pm

It's not about where you fall on the political spectrum. These questions would still be asked whichever party was in office and whoever the adviser was (particularly if they had been closely involved in shaping and developing these lockdown rules). At the time Cummings went off to Durham, the government's guidelines if you or a member of your household developed symptoms were a) don't visit second homes for isolation purposes; b) don't leave your home - the place you live - to stay at another home; and c) remain at your primary residence to avoid putting additional pressure on communities and services at risk. On 24 March we were told by the Health Secretary "these are not requests, these are rules". There's been no acceptance of responsibility and no acknowledgement that this was in clear breach of the guidelines. Instead, the government have said they're satisfied Cummings didn't break the rules because once he travelled to Durham, he stayed there and didn't go out... even though the mere fact he travelled there breached all three of their own rules. It really does come across as "do as we say, not as we do".

lanternhall
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am
Re: Corona Virus

Post by lanternhall » Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Pip@B wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 pm
Plenty of people have flouted the 'rules',or'advice' as described by the BBC.If we sack everyone for that there will be no one at work.The CPC gave the Police guidance on what was and was not likely to be a breach of the regulations.As it appears that he had a visit from the Police and no further action was taken,it is likely that the Police or CPC thought that a court would view his actions reasonable under the circumstances,and unlikely to be successfully be prosecuted.All the rest of it is just pure politics.
That is exactly why he should be sacked. "Plenty of people have flouted the rules".
Yes too many.
As a government advisor and someone with a big media profile, he should be seen to be leading by example.

Disturbed Postie
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:42 pm
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Disturbed Postie » Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Pip@B wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 pm
Plenty of people have flouted the 'rules',or'advice' as described by the BBC.If we sack everyone for that there will be no one at work.The CPC gave the Police guidance on what was and was not likely to be a breach of the regulations.As it appears that he had a visit from the Police and no further action was taken,it is likely that the Police or CPC thought that a court would view his actions reasonable under the circumstances,and unlikely to be successfully be prosecuted.All the rest of it is just pure politics.
That is exactly why he should be sacked. "Plenty of people have flouted the rules".
Yes too many.
As a government advisor and someone with a big media profile, he should be seen to be leading by example.
I agree with you MR hall, you talk sensibly 👍


Post Reply