Corona Virus

Aldershot_Rob
Re: Corona Virus

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am

WTF wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 am
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:32 am
To add a little balance, if you feel a member of your family or yourself could be at serious risk of self isolation then ideally you'd require 2 weeks worth of food and supplies to keep you going.
That said, quite why you'd need the quantity of some of the products mentioned I don't know. If it is akin to flu, there will be minimal eating and toilet activity.
Would that self isolation not be at a hospital? My wife is at risk as she is diabetic and has to take insulin via injection. I travel a lot for work so her/our exposure is potentially high. The 1st sign of a cough and or high temperature and it's 111!
I believe the advice is (for the majority of people) if you feel you contracted corona virus then to stay at home and someone will come to you.
I did even hear the suggestion of drive your car to the carpark and someone will come out to meet you in there.

In your case WTF, I'd suggest as long as your wife has a decent supply of insulin, then she should stay at home and someone will come to you and deliver meds as needed.

For the most part, if you are relatively healthy with no underlying health issues you should be okay. The worry is when those with health concerns, especially respiratory, contract the virus.

WTF

Post by WTF » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:57 am

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am
WTF wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 am
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:32 am
To add a little balance, if you feel a member of your family or yourself could be at serious risk of self isolation then ideally you'd require 2 weeks worth of food and supplies to keep you going.
That said, quite why you'd need the quantity of some of the products mentioned I don't know. If it is akin to flu, there will be minimal eating and toilet activity.
Would that self isolation not be at a hospital? My wife is at risk as she is diabetic and has to take insulin via injection. I travel a lot for work so her/our exposure is potentially high. The 1st sign of a cough and or high temperature and it's 111!
I believe the advice is (for the majority of people) if you feel you contracted corona virus then to stay at home and someone will come to you.
I did even hear the suggestion of drive your car to the carpark and someone will come out to meet you in there.

In your case WTF, I'd suggest as long as your wife has a decent supply of insulin, then she should stay at home and someone will come to you and deliver meds as needed.

For the most part, if you are relatively healthy with no underlying health issues you should be okay. The worry is when those with health concerns, especially respiratory, contract the virus.
Thanks Rob, sadly she does have an underlying health issue which makes it more difficult as such. Our local hospital has set up a special unit for the virus which you are invited to by 111 in the event of any symptoms. Fingers crossed we don't need to call etc.

ACA

Post by ACA » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am

Self-isolation would not necessarily be at hospital. Whilst the panic-buying crowd are undoubtedly over-reacting, there are definitely an equal number on the other side who are showing a worrying lack of regard for their fellow man. Most people will have mild symptoms and so can self-isolate at home, but they will still be infectious and this is a disease that transmits easily. Some people don't seem to grasp that self-isolation means you should not go out at all, therefore you can't just nip out to the supermarket. You might not have severe symptoms, but you might pass it on to someone who will - someone with underlying health complaints, someone elderly, or someone who is in close contact with a person of that description. This is why the government is talking about measures of containment.

Someone I know overheard a couple on the train the other day, they had recently returned from one of the affected areas (they were coming back from the airport). One was saying how they needed to self-isolate for 14 days when they got home and the other one responded "oh, I'm far too busy to do that". How is that any less selfish than a person buying ten packs of toilet rolls? Everyone needs to pull together for the common good - that means a) not panic buying and b) following the health advice being given.

WTF

Post by WTF » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:28 am

ACA wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am
Self-isolation would not necessarily be at hospital. Whilst the panic-buying crowd are undoubtedly over-reacting, there are definitely an equal number on the other side who are showing a worrying lack of regard for their fellow man. Most people will have mild symptoms and so can self-isolate at home, but they will still be infectious and this is a disease that transmits easily. Some people don't seem to grasp that self-isolation means you should not go out at all, therefore you can't just nip out to the supermarket. You might not have severe symptoms, but you might pass it on to someone who will - someone with underlying health complaints, someone elderly, or someone who is in close contact with a person of that description. This is why the government is talking about measures of containment.

Someone I know overheard a couple on the train the other day, they had recently returned from one of the affected areas (they were coming back from the airport). One was saying how they needed to self-isolate for 14 days when they got home and the other one responded "oh, I'm far too busy to do that". How is that any less selfish than a person buying ten packs of toilet rolls? Everyone needs to pull together for the common good - that means a) not panic buying and b) following the health advice being given.
It's the selfish people who worry me greatly with no thought for others. We have to take things day by day and deal with it if and when something happens.

Mytshot

Post by Mytshot » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:31 am

Funny how this government is now so keen for us all to listen to the experts. I wonder how Michael Gove is dealing with the situation bearing in mind not so long ago he said:
“I think the people in this country have had enough of experts with organisations from acronyms saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong.”

What experts should we listen to? Many people will doubt the experts that warn about climate change but will be hanging on every word from the experts warning about Coronavirus. The difference? One will have an affect on their own short term well being and the other will likely affect someone else. Shows the inherent selfishness of the human race.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:36 am

WTF wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:57 am
Thanks Rob, sadly she does have an underlying health issue which makes it more difficult as such. Our local hospital has set up a special unit for the virus which you are invited to by 111 in the event of any symptoms. Fingers crossed we don't need to call etc.
I wish you and your wife all the best.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:39 pm

I’m thinking of self isolating and going somewhere where there aren’t many people.
Off to the Rec this afternoon then. :D COYS.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm

scorp wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:30 pm
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am
scorp wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Or the advantage of having old farts with functioning strands of memories on here ;)
How dare you scorp... I'm not old... I think...
i wuz referrink to meshelf ;)
Sorree! :mrgreen:

BillB

Post by BillB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:58 pm

I might be old scorp, but my farts are just as fresh as yours and higher smelling.......

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:10 pm

One good thing about CV is that the scousers could win the league in a game played behind closed doors.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Two deaths in UK so far. Lot of panic buying reported. In sport, no hand-shaking observed, yet soon as a goal is scored, players climbing all over each other. :?:

What are people hoarding? Toilet rolls, pasta, UHT milk. Hand sanitizers? Okay but imagine you are in a club on a Friday night, sweating bodies, germs are passed through the air so, washing hands continually is pointless.

133 deaths reported today in Italy - now that's worrying. 🇫🇷 e and 🇩🇪 also affected so how long before it takes hold here?
Symptoms of coronavirus

The symptoms of coronavirus are:

a cough
a high temperature
shortness of breath
But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.
Not really like influenza then which is like what I've had since Friday.

This pandemic may be far worse than SARS but that came and went.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Aldershot Sports Centre affected :- https://www.eagleradio.co.uk/news/local ... ronavirus/

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Birdman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:36 pm
Aldershot Sports Centre affected :- https://www.eagleradio.co.uk/news/local ... ronavirus/

Oops!

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:41 am

Reg's corner

Post by Reg's corner » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 am

Carryin on as normal, need to earn a living and council will post out their bill in the next couple of weeks for keeping the place running, keeping the lights on, providing the Police and employing contractors to pick up the food litter along the roads that the under 30s throw out of their cars. Don't think the council will be sympathetic if we can't pay council tax due to self isolation. It's a flu bug. 50,000
uk deaths in 17/18 due to flu. Didn't hear the scare stories then.