lanternhall
Re: Intelligence is highest in the West Midlands

Post by lanternhall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:37 pm

ACA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm
Really. As many as now?
Neither you nor I can possibly answer that question as there are so many different variables - but sweeping generalisations are neither helpful, nor fair.
Take a look at the younger generation. Stabbings, murder, no respect. No self isolation. Need I go on.

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm

lanternhall wrote:
ACA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:06 pm
Let's not start on all this "my generation had/has discipline" cobblers. Every generation has bad apples, people who refuse to obey the rules, people that think they know better than those in authority etc.
Really. As many as now? The people to blame are the parents who bought this generation up.
Or you could say 'didn't bring them up'. How many absent fathers breeding kids left right and centre or single mothers knocking kids out to get accommodation and benefits? The welfare state is a wonderful thing for those in need, but sadly abused by many.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Lazio wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm
lanternhall wrote:
ACA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:06 pm
Let's not start on all this "my generation had/has discipline" cobblers. Every generation has bad apples, people who refuse to obey the rules, people that think they know better than those in authority etc.
Really. As many as now? The people to blame are the parents who bought this generation up.
Or you could say 'didn't bring them up'. How many absent fathers breeding kids left right and centre or single mothers knocking kids out to get accommodation and benefits? The welfare state is a wonderful thing for those in need, but sadly abused by many.
100% agree. Seen it first hand.

Pip@B

Post by Pip@B » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm
Lazio wrote:
lanternhall wrote:

Ditto,have one cousin and one niece who,now in their thirties,never worked,casual men to keep them pregnant sufficiently often enough never to have to work.All comfortably looked after by us taxpayers,including my daughter who as a single mum works 6 days a week to pay her rent,and is,like many others worried about keeping her job.

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Lazio wrote:
lanternhall wrote:

How come we agree again LH unbelievable.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Lazio wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Lazio wrote:

How come we agree again LH unbelievable.
It must be this virusy thing that’s going around. :wink:

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am

lanternhall wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:37 pm
ACA wrote:
lanternhall wrote:
Really. As many as now?
Neither you nor I can possibly answer that question as there are so many different variables - but sweeping generalisations are neither helpful, nor fair.
Take a look at the younger generation. Stabbings, murder, no respect. No self isolation. Need I go on.
..but there was plentyof violence around when I was growing up in the 60's & 70's, mods v rockers, teds v punks, skns v all, football violence was rife,no go areas in many cities, plenty of pub fights, everywhere.....our generation wasn't any better..

James Frazer

Post by James Frazer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Dont' forget, those Kray twins and friends were a right bunch of young scamps weren't they.

If we want to slate the youngsters of today, check out how many are working in supermarkets just to try and make sure we are fed. I doubt many of them are responsible for clearing the shelves - they just try and keep them restocked.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am
lanternhall wrote:
ACA wrote:

..but there was plentyof violence around when I was growing up in the 60's & 70's, mods v rockers, teds v punks, skns v all, football violence was rife,no go areas in many cities, plenty of pub fights, everywhere.....our generation wasn't any better..
There were rarely stabbings and young people didn't get murdered every day.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm
Cph.shots wrote:
lanternhall wrote:

There were, but because of the pre-internet age you just didn’t hear about them. There were more murders in the 1960s than the 2010s.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:59 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm
Cph.shots wrote:
lanternhall wrote:

Not sure what your point is there LH. I agreee there are probably more stabbings and murders amongst the young nowadays but most of those are, I guess, drug/gang related. The interweb also helps to fuel this as, I think, gangs probably try to out do each other.
On the other hand there is lee football related violence and pubs feel generally safer, imo.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Agree about pubs and football. Yes the stabbings are drug/ gang related. Guess from what ethnic group they come?

Lazio

Post by Lazio » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Drug related crime is far more serious than just about any other. The stabbings and shootings are generally drug related and they are just the tip of the iceberg, add to that burglary mugging etc just to fund habits. The knock on effects on the health and social services is massive.
Cph yes there were killings in the 50s 60s 70s but these were predominantly among gangs of villains. Football violence was mainly between those who wanted to fight each other and very rarely involved weapons.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:01 pm

I use to scrap as a kid. Went on East Bank and am ashamed to admit contributed to football violence of the day. Hard to believe but the East Bank was not segregated. Thank God football hooliganism is more or less now no more.
I was a stupid kid but I have never carried a blade in my life.
Seems nowadays all kids go out with knives.