Division North and South

Red-n-Blue
Re: Division North and South

Post by Red-n-Blue » Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 pm
What actual evidence is there that says having a regional league at this level will make things any cheaper?

What difference in expenditure is there in an away game at Torquay or Bath compared to one at Harrogate or Halifax?

I dont really see it other than perhaps some marginal savings on travel costs..
Marginal? You think?

When you factor-in a squad of sixteen players, the management/coaching team, the physio, and the directors, you're probably looking at a troop of 30+ people. How much does it cost to put those 30+ people in a hotel overnight? Anyone who's ever worked in logistics will tell you that moving anything across the country is not cheap, particularly in volume. Transporting 30+ people an average of 80 miles for each game is patently much cheaper than moving those same 30+ people an average of 160 miles.

Another benefit will be the reduced cost of away travel for fans. That is likely to increase the number of away fans visiting The Rec.

In my view, regionalisation isn't an option, it's a necessity if we want to keep our football clubs solvent.

baldershot

Post by baldershot » Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 pm
What actual evidence is there that says having a regional league at this level will make things any cheaper?

What difference in expenditure is there in an away game at Torquay or Bath compared to one at Harrogate or Halifax?

Marginal? You think?

When you factor-in a squad of sixteen players, the management/coaching team, the physio, and the directors, you're probably looking at a troop of 30+ people. How much does it cost to put those 30+ people in a hotel overnight? Anyone who's ever worked in logistics will tell you that moving anything across the country is not cheap, particularly in volume. Transporting 30+ people an average of 80 miles for each game is patently much cheaper than moving those same 30+ people an average of 160 miles.

Another benefit will be the reduced cost of away travel for fans. That is likely to increase the number of away fans visiting The Rec.

In my view, regionalisation isn't an option, it's a necessity if we want to keep our football clubs solvent.
Just did a quick calculaiton on average attendances this season. !,852 for games against northern teams; 1,712 for games against southern teams. Doesn't prove anything (we still had to play Woking which would have upped the southern average) but not an overwhelming argument for regionalisation.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue May 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Probably too snowflake ish for many here but there is also an environmental bonus to regionalisstion.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:37 pm
The ball was on the line 😡
"f'in'" line surely

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Tue May 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Disturbed Postie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Turnkey wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm
Disturbed Postie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm

You 100% on that?
Let’s just say it’s an educated guess 😉
3 word name I reckon
Don't think so.

Charles Dickens

Post by Charles Dickens » Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:

Marginal? You think?

Agreed,I should have thought Conference clubs would be demanding action for regional football. But I can`t hear the drum beats!

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Charles Dickens wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 pm
Red-n-Blue wrote:

Marginal? You think?

Agreed,I should have thought Conference clubs would be demanding action for regional football. But I can`t hear the drum beats!
Do you not think that the league 1, 2 and conference are being totally complacent. They should wake up and smell the coffee.

NTR_12

Post by NTR_12 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:

Marginal? You think?

I’m sure Paul Doswell said in the NLP that it cost Sutton £6k to travel up to Halifax, which was then postponed and they had to do it again.

Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg » Tue May 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Red-n-Blue wrote:

Marginal? You think?

How many times this last season did the players stay overnight in a hotel? Im pretty sure the club knocked those on the head some tine ago. Players have been travelling up to games on the train.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 pm

How much are 20+ train fares to the likes of Hartlepool,Barrow, Stockport,Harrogate, Fylde,Wrexham, Chorley and Halifax.

TracoShot

Post by TracoShot » Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 pm

IMO to survive regional football is a must....any business needs to look at increasing income whilst reducing costs....this virus has changed the world and there is no going back to where we all were
...everything needs to change including football.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Look at all the major companies that have gone under in recent times. They didn't adjust to the change in society and paid the consequences.

This is primetime and the best opportunity to re structure so clubs have more chance of being self sustaining and not constantly look over their shoulder if they can pay their bills.

Why should a non professional league travel the length of the country, they haven't IMO earned the right to start with.

Its now or never!

NTR_12

Post by NTR_12 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:59 am

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 am
Chalkie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Guildford's main sport is Ice Hockey.
Guildford Flames have an average of 1,800 attending their home games.
NTR_12 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:58 pm
Guildford’s basketball team also get around 1,000 for most home games.
Interesting but I wonder if they would be quite so enthusiastic if they were watching it in a stadium approching dilapidation and being constantly told that that a financial abyss was just around the corner? Many people just want to watch sport and don't want the emotional burdens that Shots Fans endure. It's also why people like to 'support' PL clubs. They do so because they don't have to investing emotional energy and witness contstant disappointment and charades that dominate the primary discourse.
I think there’s something in that. Plus tickets are generally around £10 and whenever I’ve been I’ve felt more entertained than I have watching many Aldershot matches in recent years.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 am

ATFC and football at any level below the championship will need to go regional or many clubs will cease to exist. If and when clubs at lower levels are able to play in front of crowds again the revenues will be greatly reduced, I cant see attendances at the Rec being much over 1000 at best due to many people being scared of coronavirus, many of the the 1400 or so we have now are ageing some will have passed away others have medical issues money will be tight and some will just have lost interest.

shotshammo

Post by shotshammo » Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 am

It's a bit like spending loads of time deciding which route to take on a journey, that you know is going to take the same amount of time.
Yes we've all done it.