Shotto
Re: Arise Sir Tom!

Post by Shotto » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 am

Definitely well deserved. Good on him.

WozzaSHOT

Post by WozzaSHOT » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 am

What a terrible decision.

Nice bloke and well done and all that but these awards are for contribution to society not cash.. otherwise any rich benefactor could buy one.

At the end of the day he did 100 laps of his garden at 99 years old.

There are people in our towns of a similar age (ok 80+) that donate many more hours every week to help local society. Once Covid has gone they will turn up and do a lot more than Sit Tom will do.

My mum (89) has just done 200 laps of her garden and donated £100 to the NHS (more laps and Probably more cash than Tom personally) can she have a gong?

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am

WozzaSHOT wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 am

Nice bloke and well done and all that but these awards are for contribution to society not cash.. otherwise any rich benefactor could buy one.

There are people in our towns of a similar age (ok 80+) that donate many more hours every week to help local society. Once Covid has gone they will turn up and do a lot more than Sit Tom will do.

My mum (89) has just done 200 laps of her garden and donated £100 to the NHS (more laps and Probably more cash than Tom personally) can she have a gong?
Disagree. It wasn’t all about the cash. He is the icon of this Virus time and inspired millions of people when we were all looking for something to hold onto to.
Well done Sir Tom.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 am

My personal opinion is that the honours system is nonsense, as most are politically motivated or given to sportsmen/entertainers for following their chosen profession. But if gongs are given out then I would rather he get it than many others although I have more respect for Tom's service medals.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

Crowthorne wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 am
My personal opinion is that the honours system is nonsense, as most are politically motivated or given to sportsmen/entertainers for following their chosen profession. But if gongs are given out then I would rather he get it than many others although I have more respect for Tom's service medals.
Completely agree. Honours system total nonsense but I should imagine that it is something Tom will cherish and good luck to the man.
He has my complete admiration.

Wokingham Shot

Post by Wokingham Shot » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 am

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am
WozzaSHOT wrote:

Disagree. It wasn’t all about the cash. He is the icon of this Virus time and inspired millions of people when we were all looking for something to hold onto to.
Well done Sir Tom.
You are right Mr Mouse.
But when I see subjects like this I remember, sadly, the whole situation around that young lad who was dying of cancer and was befriended by an EPL player (I think it was Sunderland?). We saw dozens of pictures of him having a wonderful few months doing things most can only dram of before finally dying.
It was a truly great story....till I read the pain of a mother whose young son was in exactly the same situation and died without any of this attention, having continually asked his mother when it would be his turn to be ball boy and meet the players of his team. The pain that woman must have gone through trying to explain this to her little boy
It was utterly heart-breaking to read.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am

The player was Defoe.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Wed May 20, 2020 11:33 am

It's a nice little distraction from what's really going on, helps to keep bad news off he front pages.

Disturbed Postie

Post by Disturbed Postie » Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:33 am
It's a nice little distraction from what's really going on, helps to keep bad news off he front pages.
Clearly not enough for some though!

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Yes well done him!! Great admiration for guys (and gals)like him / her that fought for our country to give us what we have today and yet some people on here manage to spin it around just to have a moan!! Cretins

Pip@B

Post by Pip@B » Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 am

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am
WozzaSHOT wrote:

Well done Sir Tom.
Those were my thoughts,but some people can't see past their own agenda.