Alex
Re: Players we might be interested in.

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Melbourne Red wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 pm
redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm
Mo Sagaf.
Inih Effiong has been released by Dover and could be of interest, got quite a few goals last season
He’s joined Stevenage

SMR

Post by SMR » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Birdman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:55 pm
lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm
Birdman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:04 pm
There may well be some surprises in store for a fair few ex L1/L2 players as they try to join Conference clubs and they realise that the wages on offer aren’t as ‘generous’ as they were in The Conference last season.

’Right then, I want 800 quid a week. I’m prepared to go down to 700 if it seals the deal’

‘That generous of you. How does £350 a week sound? Bonuses might take that up to £400’.
Interesting post Birdman. I agree with you about wages. Out of interest. Do you know roughly the a average salary of a Conference player?
I have no idea, Mr H. Like many on here I can only guess. Bearing in mind that most players are full-time in the NL then the average national wage could well be a barometer with exceptions either side of that.
£350 is top end Isthmian Prem or National League South
£600/£700 is roughly what Aldershot were paying under GW
Strikers would probably get more

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm

SMR wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm
Birdman wrote:
lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Interesting post Birdman. I agree with you about wages. Out of interest. Do you know roughly the a average salary of a Conference player?
I have no idea, Mr H. Like many on here I can only guess. Bearing in mind that most players are full-time in the NL then the average national wage could well be a barometer with exceptions either side of that.
The financial effect of this virus on football may well dictate lower wages similar or close to your first figure, SMR. Virtually all income for non league clubs will be much reduced re gate receipts, sponsorships, advertising sales. Squad sizes may well be smaller but not enough to compensate for the reduced income which imo will lead to lower wages.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm
SMR wrote:
Birdman wrote:

The financial effect of this virus on football may well dictate lower wages similar or close to your first figure, SMR. Virtually all income for non league clubs will be much reduced re gate receipts, sponsorships, advertising sales. Squad sizes may well be smaller but not enough to compensate for the reduced income which imo will lead to lower wages.
It does make me realise that not all footballers have the premiership cushy life. Those salary's for players at our level are by no means fantastic.

SMR

Post by SMR » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:56 pm
Birdman wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm
SMR wrote:

It does make me realise that not all footballers have the premiership cushy life. Those salary's for players at our level are by no means fantastic.
I don't know... that's still £24k a year if you're on £600 a week and a 40 week (as is common in non-league) contract. It's not that bad when you consider the hours they do. It'd be easy to have a little sideline as a personal trainer or something like Alfy Whittingham does.
Equally, you can understand how when they get a bit older and have a family to support they might prefer to get a 'real' job that pays a couple of grand more.

Regardless of the financial effect of the coronavirus, unless Aldershot are going to go part-time they won't be able to pay wages closer to my Isthmian League figure though - it won't be enough money for the players to support themselves.

C_Rage

Post by C_Rage » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Always liked Tommy Wright at Sutton. I know he stepped back from football for mental health reasons but think that was just till the end of the season. Would be a good signing in my opinion if he is available.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:57 pm

C_Rage wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:12 pm
Always liked Tommy Wright at Sutton. I know he stepped back from football for mental health reasons but think that was just till the end of the season. Would be a good signing in my opinion if he is available.
3 year contract at Dowse united. :shock: