How to celebrate with decorum (or not)

redblueuptoyou
Re: How to celebrate with decorum (or not)

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:06 pm

On the news just now they said research suggests more than a third of UK adults are planning to visit a pub when they reopen this weekend.

I am staying in.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:01 pm
People get drunk and are anti social.
You prove that by posting on here when you’re pissed.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:41 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:06 pm
On the news just now they said research suggests more than a third of UK adults are planning to visit a pub when they reopen this weekend.

I am staying in.
I think a lot of people are thinking along similar lines as you, a (fairly) local pub is reopening after nearly 2 yrs of closing & a major refurbishment. They reopen on Saturday & this would have brought the locals together in numbers, it will probably end up as an anticlimax with the current situation.

Just when the new owner wants to open his doors to people to start recuperate his outlay, he will have the restrictions to contend with which will more than likely reduce the people going.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

I think the opposite might happen - huge crowds this weekend and maybe into the next one before things settle down.

Lots of factors including weather, type of establishment (you’d think more people would head to a cheap chain/Wetherspoon than a nice local) might play a part though.

Good luck to the new owner. Couldn’t be a tougher time!

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:01 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 am
lanternhall wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 am
If you allow people to drink on the streets, there will be trouble. People will get drunk and violence will follow. That is blindingly obvious. The old and the vulnerable will be intimidated.

Get Real!
Interesting logic. Try this. Substitute "in a pub" for "on the streets" and (unless you think people don't get drunk in pubs) nothing much changes in this so-called argument.

So people getting drunk in pubs (when they reopen) will be Boris Johnson's fault too?
That is just plain stupid. Why do you think we have licensed premises for people to drink in and untill now have banned people from drinking in the streets?
For precisely that reason. People get drunk and are anti social.
Thank you for the gratuitous insult, Mr Hall. Always nice to have a good natured and civilised debate.

I refer you to the House of Commons library website: commonslibrary.parliament.uk. I quote: "There is no general prohibition on drinking in the street".