O/T The end for BDO?

Aldershot_Rob
O/T The end for BDO?

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:24 pm

For those with an interest in darts, this coming Thursday could spell the end for the BDO as the commercial side of the organisation faces being wound up due to debts in excess of £500,000.

The BDO World Championships has been on the decline for many years now. No longer shown on BBC, moved away from Lakeside, but last years fiasco has all put the nail in the coffin for the once great organisation. The disastrous move to O2 Indigo saw empty seats and most embarrassing of all, prize money being held back so the players had no idea what, if anything, prise money they were playing for.

Further turmoil this year saw BDO chairman Des Jacklin quit as Chairman, only to come back a short time later.

Thursday will decide the future of the BDO and could possibly reshape the future of darts too.
Barry Hearn had previously tried to purchase the BDO as he saw it as a breeding ground for darting talent but his offers were subsequently rejected. Unlikely that he will now move to try to save the BDO as plans are already underway to set up a new Amateur Darts league, with JDC chairman Steve Brown heading that role.

Whatever happens, the other branch of the BDO, the branch responsible for local and county competitions will continue to exist.

redandbluescb
Re: O/T The end for BDO?

Post by redandbluescb » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:12 pm

What a shame.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Can't see how a decision on the BDO would 'shape the future of darts'.

The future lies at Alexandre Palace and was decided long ago.

But the BDO is important to the game because of all the talent that it brings through.

It would be an awful loss if it were to be no more.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm
It has been a long long time since darts in this country was governed by a single body. So what I meant, is if it does fold, where does this leave the top end BDO players and will the PDC set up a second tier of darts? Many players can't afford to compete in the PDC circuit.

shots1965

Post by shots1965 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm

I’m absolutely devastated

🎯

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm
Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm
It has been a long long time since darts in this country was governed by a single body. So what I meant, is if it does fold, where does this leave the top end BDO players and will the PDC set up a second tier of darts? Many players can't afford to compete in the PDC circuit.
I see. Sorry I didn't quite get it first time.

Must have a second tier and PDC and it's money should recognise the situation and create a future that would replace the BDO if that becomes history.

The old days were great at the LAKESIDE and now it's relegated to some kind of scrernshare between ITV4 and BT Sport (I think).

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 am

Didn't realise it had moved from Lakeside. I worked behind the bar there during World championship once. Many years ago. Was packed and frantic.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm

It's not moved from Lakeside.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm

The BDO World Championships moved this year, staged at the Indigo, O2.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:30 pm

It moved away from Lakeside last year and moved to the Indigo arena at the O2. I actually believe that was one of the main reasons for the poor crowds, as anyone who attended Lakeside for darts will tell you, the Dutch in particular packed out the hotels and local B&Bs and used to make a holiday of it. That isn't as affordable or practical.

Laternhall, I can only imagine how busy you must have been working behind that bar! Did you get a thank you from Bob?

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Sorry guys, yes it did move! :lol:

If I managed to watch any of it at all, I pretended it was Lakeside!

There's a picture at my Mums house of her with BP and his three daughters. Not sure of the year it was raken exactly, early to mid seventies? Mums boyfriend at the time lived in Camberley. That's got me thinking,

Anyway I never saw darts there but I did see Don Williams!

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:30 pm
It moved away from Lakeside last year and moved to the Indigo arena at the O2. I actually believe that was one of the main reasons for the poor crowds, as anyone who attended Lakeside for darts will tell you, the Dutch in particular packed out the hotels and local B&Bs and used to make a holiday of it. That isn't as affordable or practical.

Laternhall, I can only imagine how busy you must have been working behind that bar! Did you get a thank you from Bob?

Does anyone?😂