Jack Charlton

lanternhall
Jack Charlton

Post by lanternhall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 am

Just watched interview with him. Has my total admiration for what he achieved. I have been critical of Leeds on here. It is not the football club. It is the manager in my era. They were a great team, good players but Don Revie was a cheat. Man was everything in football.

hepcat
Re: Jack Charlton

Post by hepcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

I know the Leeds players worshipped Revie ; he built up a close knit squad and he was ahead of the game in some of his methods, but there's a lot of murk there. I can't for a moment think Bob Stokoe was telling anything but the truth when he said ( he was in his first managerial role at Bury) that Revie tried to get him to throw the game (Leeds were at risk of relegation from Division 2 at the time) He said he still felt bitter about it. I guess it made 1973 all the more sweeter for him! Revie was found out in the England job ;I remember he never kept a settled side-changes for every game-friendlies you could understand but for every international ? I recall Emlyn Hughes being dropped for no apparent reason then getting a call from Revie recalling him to the squad and Hughes (his own account) went ballistic saying I've been in the form of my life the last six month and you drop me ,now you've got the nerve to ask me back" Even if only half true , added up to all the other tales Revie had totally lost the dressing room. He didn't have the total control he had at Leeds and his walking out to go to the UAE summed him up, Revie should have stayed at Leeds whilst his 44 day successor Clough should have got the England job, Failing to qualify for both the '76 Euros and '78 world cup were Revie's legacy to England .

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:18 am

lanternhall wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 am
Just watched interview with him. Has my total admiration for what he achieved. I have been critical of Leeds on here. It is not the football club. It is the manager in my era. They were a great team, good players but Don Revie was a cheat. Man was everything in football I detest..

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:24 am

hepcat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am
I know the Leeds players worshipped Revie ; he built up a close knit squad and he was ahead of the game in some of his methods, but there's a lot of murk there. I can't for a moment think Bob Stokoe was telling anything but the truth when he said ( he was in his first managerial role at Bury) that Revie tried to get him to throw the game (Leeds were at risk of relegation from Division 2 at the time) He said he still felt bitter about it. I guess it made 1973 all the more sweeter for him! Revie was found out in the England job ;I remember he never kept a settled side-changes for every game-friendlies you could understand but for every international ? I recall Emlyn Hughes being dropped for no apparent reason then getting a call from Revie recalling him to the squad and Hughes (his own account) went ballistic saying I've been in the form of my life the last six month and you drop me ,now you've got the nerve to ask me back" Even if only half true , added up to all the other tales Revie had totally lost the dressing room. He didn't have the total control he had at Leeds and his walking out to go to the UAE summed him up, Revie should have stayed at Leeds whilst his 44 day successor Clough should have got the England job, Failing to qualify for both the '76 Euros and '78 world cup were Revie's legacy to England .
Spot on.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:01 pm

I enjoyed the Match of your Life interview, but all I can say is if you are going to interview someone like Jackie Charlton you need to do your homework with the questions and be careful of the words you choose.

He was a bit of a one off and will be missed no doubt.

Shepperton Shot

Post by Shepperton Shot » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 pm

it was a big story in the papers that they allegedly tried to bribe Wolves in the last game of the 1971/72 season, when they needed a point to win the double and lost 2-1 giving the title to Derby who were on holiday in Majorca. Bet Cloughie loved that.

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Stenhouse

Post by Stenhouse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 pm