Social care crisis

lanternhall
Re: Social care crisis

Post by lanternhall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:31 am
You have not read my post properly. It is their right to claim unemployment benefit. They have payed for it through National Insurance Contributions when working. Why should they work for it again?
Makes you wonder why folk bother working at all with attitudes like this !!!
They work and pay Nationai Insurance, safe in the knowledge that if they are ever unfortunately unemployed they will receive a benefit that they are entitled to. Because they have paid for it..
What is it that you dont understand?

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am

They work and pay Nationai Insurance, safe in the knowledge that if they are ever unfortunately unemployed they will receive a benefit that they are entitled to. Because they have paid for it..
Do you honestly think a persons NI contributions covers the cost of unemployment?

I do get it though Lantern, if your unemployed you would never lift another finger until somebody else employed you, because that is what you are entitled to do. That'd look great as an opening statement on your CV :lol:

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am
Do you honestly think a persons NI contributions covers the cost of unemployment?

I do get it though Lantern, if your unemployed you would never lift another finger until somebody else employed you, because that is what you are entitled to do. That'd look great as an opening statement on your CV :lol:
Yes. If it doesn't. Increase it. That is the whole point of National Insurance. I assume that you have an insurance policy for something.
You need to claim the insurance but the company says to you " Even though you have paid all your contributions. We will only pay you. If you work for it."

Where did i say that you should be happy on dole and not lift a finger? What you shouldn't do is offer your labour to employers for nothing. If they need workers employ them on a decent wage.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:37 am

Yes. If it doesn't. Increase it.
That'd be a vote winner policy.
What you shouldn't do is offer your labour to employers for nothing. If they need workers employ them on a decent wage.
Your employers are the State, who are ensuring you have some benefits to live on.

The point you are avoiding Lantern is the fact community tasks within your living area would benefit with the work provided by this suggestion. My guess is if someone offered a doler a job doing some labour jobs paying say the minimum wage they'd run a mile stating not worth getting out of bed for !!

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:37 am
Yes. If it doesn't. Increase it.
That'd be a vote winner policy.
What you shouldn't do is offer your labour to employers for nothing. If they need workers employ them on a decent wage.
Your employers are the State, who are ensuring you have some benefits to live on.

The point you are avoiding Lantern is the fact community tasks within your living area would benefit with the work provided by this suggestion. My guess is if someone offered a doler a job doing some labour jobs paying say the minimum wage they'd run a mile stating not worth getting out of bed for !!

Again. You are missing the whole point. Why should somebody work for something that they have already paid for?

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Again. You are missing the whole point. Why should somebody work for something that they have already paid for?
Tunnel Vision?

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm
Tunnel Vision?
Why?

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:44 pm

Maybe a sense of self worth and belonging would help the unemployed, as well as increase employment prospects.

tonygodfrey

Post by tonygodfrey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Am all for people contributing something by picking litter etc but it is costly to organise and for some the problem is really social skills rather than laziness so other help might be more beneficial to them.

There is a real problem looming due to automation and Artificial Intelligence which will probably reduce employment opportunities. Indeed, isn't that the point of technology? It should reduce to burden of human labour surely?

Also the gig economy is changing everything. "Employed" or "Unemployed" is not as simple as it used to be.

An answer could be Universal Basic Income of some sort which could replace unemployment benefit and provide a basic income for everybody. If you want to work more to top it up then fine but if you don't or can't you have something.

And for the next few years/months there will likely be many many people who want to work but are genuinely unable to find anything. So it's not an easy problem to solve without some very radical thinking.

Localshot

Post by Localshot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 pm

It is a good idea but not sure asking those on benefit to volunteer their services will actually work. A few years back the club tried to help offenders by offering voluntary work around the stadium. These offenders had to do community work and to be honest they had little or no intention of doing anything other than wind down the number of hours they had to do. The supervisor they came with did more work then the offenders.
This was a wasted opportunity for them to add something good to what would more than likely be an iffy CV. They just were not interested.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:32 pm

lanternhall wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:36 pm
And what if those who’ve chosen not to do a days work in their life, preferring to live on benefits and have their healthcare on a plate? What of them, who pays for them? I don’t think it’s unreasonable they be asked to do work that assists society for the free money and methadone prescriptions.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:21 am

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 am

Do you think that any pay out from an insurance company that people have contributed to covers the cost. You are talking rubbish.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 am

Turnkey wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:32 pm
lanternhall wrote:
And what if those who’ve chosen not to do a days work in their life, preferring to live on benefits and have their healthcare on a plate? What of them, who pays for them? I don’t think it’s unreasonable they be asked to do work that assists society for the free money and methadone prescriptions.
And how many are there? Their might be in your head or the papers you read. Have you ever met one? Have you ever enquired into there personal circumstances as to why they are not working? Or have you just written them off as being beneath you?

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am

lanternhall wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 am
Turnkey wrote:
lanternhall wrote:
And how many are there? Their might be in your head or the papers you read. Have you ever met one? Have you ever enquired into there personal circumstances as to why they are not working? Or have you just written them off as being beneath you?
Plenty. I meet them everyday at work, lazy bastards who life choices are selfish and all about them, they feel they are entitled to everything for nothing.

I don’t read papers, plenty of online unbiased reporting out there to form a considered opinion. As per usual you have your opinion and are just looking for a row with someone who doesn’t share it, just waiting for the insults to come next and it will be textbook Lanternhall.

lanternhall

Post by lanternhall » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:02 am

Turnkey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am
lanternhall wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:30 am
Turnkey wrote:

Plenty. I meet them everyday at work, lazy bastards who life choices are selfish and all about them, they feel they are entitled to everything for nothing.

I don’t read papers, plenty of online unbiased reporting out there to form a considered opinion. As per usual you have your opinion and are just looking for a row with someone who doesn’t share it, just waiting for the insults to come next and it will be textbook Lanternhall.
Have you ever wondered why these people are like that? Why their goals are so low? Have you ever engaged?