Re: Ex-Player and Manager News - September 3rd onwards

Post by brian bloomfield » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 am

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 am
brian bloomfield wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am
Old Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 am
There is absolutely no competition on this one. No one comes close to Andy Pearce. No one. Any player who ever ran more than 10 yards during a match has immediately elevated themselves above Andy Pearce.
Statuesque at Exeter is an understatement.
Indeed, Brian. That Colston statue in Bristol showed better movement when it got toppled by BLM protesters and dumped in the docks!
I can still see him unfortunately being left stranded in my dreams. That day in Exeter was good and bad for various reasons.

aldershot-jg

Post by aldershot-jg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

Jermaine McGlashan has joined Akritas Chlorakas, a team in Cyprus 2nd division.

brian bloomfield

Post by brian bloomfield » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

aldershot-jg wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am
Jermaine McGlashan has joined Akritas Chlorakas, a team in Cyprus 2nd division.
That's a drop in standard. Ryman Premier at best.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:39 pm

brian bloomfield wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 am
Old Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 am
brian bloomfield wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am

Statuesque at Exeter is an understatement.
Indeed, Brian. That Colston statue in Bristol showed better movement when it got toppled by BLM protesters and dumped in the docks!
I can still see him unfortunately being left stranded in my dreams. That day in Exeter was good and bad for various reasons.
I remember Pearce setting up Exeter's first goal for them with a regulation attempt at controlling the ball on his thigh. He fluffed it and only succeeded in gifting it to Steve Flack who promptly stuck it in the net.

D4shot

Post by D4shot » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm

He was shocking and hadn’t he’d played for Wimbledon in the prem as well?

Think Paul Moody for his rep was pretty terrible as well.

Giles

Post by Giles » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Chukki Eribenne was pretty bloody awful :shock: but Craig Reid for all his billy big balls with very little to show for it gets my vote

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Matt Barnes-Homer for me, so lazy he didn't even bother with the pre-match warm-up routines! Never saw a player so willing to give up chasing a ball.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm

D4shot wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm
Well ... he was a regular for Sheffield Wednesday in the Premier League.

He did go to Wimbledon, yes, where he managed the staggering total of 7 games in 3 seasons. They obviously got his number.

I really cannot begin to understand anyone who thinks there was ever a worse ATFC player than Andy Pearce. The only sense I can make of that is that they never saw him in a Shot's shirt. I won't say "playing for the Shots" as that would be taking a liberty with the word "play.

Kidderminster Shots

Post by Kidderminster Shots » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm
D4shot wrote:

He did go to Wimbledon, yes, where he managed the staggering total of 7 games in 3 seasons. They obviously got his number.

I really cannot begin to understand anyone who thinks there was ever a worse ATFC player than Andy Pearce. The only sense I can make of that is that they never saw him in a Shot's shirt. I won't say "playing for the Shots" as that would be taking a liberty with the word "play.
I really cannot begin to understand anyone who “has a different opinion to me” you mean. I saw Andy Pearce, Josh Lelan & all the other numpties named on this thread, plus 100’s more, but I’ll stick by my own view. Interestingly I remember Andy Pape in goal from the Andy Pearce era as another horror show. Over my 35 years we’ve had fewer shocking Goalkeepers than most clubs I should think, but he was one. Perhaps Phil Smith as another.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm

Kidderminster Shots wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm
D4shot wrote:

I really cannot begin to understand anyone who “has a different opinion to me” you mean. I saw Andy Pearce, Josh Lelan & all the other numpties named on this thread, plus 100’s more, but I’ll stick by my own view. Interestingly I remember Andy Pape in goal from the Andy Pearce era as another horror show. Over my 35 years we’ve had fewer shocking Goalkeepers than most clubs I should think, but he was one. Perhaps Phil Smith as another.
You are right, KS. It's all about opinion. I thought it was implicit in the words I used (of the form "I can't understand ...") that I was expressing an opinion. If not, and it looked like I was denigrating other opinions like yours, then I apologise.

Andy Pape ... yes! Not the greatest was he? There was another goalkeeper that George Borg signed from Hampton & Richmond I think it was, with great fanfares, who was absolutely dire. If my memory is correct, he had the same (common) name as another ATFC goalkeeper. Was it Mark Watson?

Shots70

Post by Shots70 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Mark Russell

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 am

Yes Mark Russell had a few shockers and Borg moved him on. However for me the worst keeper we had was Phil Burns, his goal kicks rarely reached the half way line!

Headley Shot

Post by Headley Shot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 am

Lewis Hamilton + Hussain Sulaiman - I’ve probably spelt his name wrong but they contributed massively to a terrible Shotsdefence that season, or any other season :lol:

Shots70

Post by Shots70 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 am

No problem old Bob, you’re very welcome 👍

Statto

Post by Statto » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 am

Neil Warnock has tested positive for COVID-19 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54189493