Taking The Knee

fredandballou
Taking The Knee

Post by fredandballou » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:39 am

The England cricket team have been criticised for stopping 'taking the knee' before matches and have been accused of disrespecting black lives matter. Is this criticism justified? Should football follow the England cricketers lead?

bbsub
Re: Taking The Knee

Post by bbsub » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42 am

Keep politics out of sport.
BLM is a far left, political organisation.

Kingfield Shot

Post by Kingfield Shot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:36 am

bbsub wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42 am
BLM is a far left, political organisation.
Maybe you can hold of IOC and tell them to give the medals back to Smith and Carlos, although politics should be kept out of sport.

steveshot

Post by steveshot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:18 pm

When I saw the police take the knee to protestors causing mayhem and damage in London my blood boil. How dare the Police take the knee to them they should have takenthe Tazer to the lot of them. That Cressida Dick or whatever Dick she is should be sacked for allowing that to happen.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:28 pm

steveshot wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:18 pm
When I saw the police take the knee to protestors causing mayhem and damage in London my blood boil. How dare the Police take the knee to them they should have takenthe Tazer to the lot of them. That Cressida Dick or whatever Dick she is should be sacked for allowing that to happen.
The largely peaceful BLM protests that had 135 arrests over 200 events? https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-08/twe ... ral-london

I hope you have the same feelings towards the over 100 that were arrested in one event in London: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53037767
Last edited by redblueuptoyou on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveshot

Post by steveshot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:28 pm

No the one with thousands out numbering them.

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm

It's time to stop this, I cringe every time I see it, with certain players raising their arm in a fist representing black power. It was ok when it started a but should have been stopped after the first round of matches in the premiership after showing their support. Same as the cricket, do it in the first test but then stop. It is devisory, and now people are being accused as being racist if they don't do it, Matt Le Tissier for one. I wonder how many players actually agreed with doing it when it started. How long did they expect it to go on for? Please don't let the NL get involved in this although I fear they will. This is a massive problem in America, and although I agree that there is racism in this country, it is nowhere near the extent of it is in America, starting from the President down. British police have now been told that they cannot Stop and Search if they smell cannabis on somebody or in a car for goodness sake. Lets get real. As for Steveshot's comment, I completely agree. I was a Met officer, and served 20 years in Brixton and hope I served my time as I swore on my oath, IMPARTIAL. Typical snowflake reaction from snowflake officers. God help all of us.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm

bbsub wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42 am
It's great for social distancing as you will lose on average 50% of your spectators!

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 pm

margateshot wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm
Typical snowflake reaction from snowflake officers. God help all of us.
This term "snowflake" is so ridiculous. Are they snowflakes for taking the knee, or are you a snowflake for being offended at them taking the knee?!

Why should they not be allowed to take the knee. As long as they are not compromising their ability to do their job then there is no problem.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Sasha Johnson, a BLM leader alledgedly wrote: “The white man will not be our equal but our slave. History is changing. No justice, no peace #BLM.”
And people support and applaud this?

Giles

Post by Giles » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:03 pm

The choice should be with the individual IMO, completely agree with the solidarity shown by all at the beginning but feel that what actually happened to George Floyd got a bit hijacked by the political BLM who seem a bit nuts. The FA have moved to 'no room for racism' instead of BLM which is a good thing but they need to be more proactive than the 'kick it out' thing which did precisely f all.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:06 pm

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:53 pm
Sasha Johnson, a BLM leader alledgedly wrote: “The white man will not be our equal but our slave. History is changing. No justice, no peace #BLM.”
Guy Madjo was convicted of sexual assault.
Josh Payne was convicted of ABH

Why do you support and applaud ATFC when they were associated with our club?

There are bad people associated with all things, doesn't mean those things are bad as a result.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Jason wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:06 pm
ShotOnTarget wrote:

There are bad people associated with all things, doesn't mean those things are bad as a result.
And they committed those offences in the name of ATFC? I didn't know that.

Red-n-Blue

Post by Red-n-Blue » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:18 pm

I posted this on another thread but it's more relevant to this discussion...

A field of millionaire footballers taking the knee is not going to change lives - it's a gesture no more effective than people offering 'thoughts and prayers' on social media after a terrorist attack. In THIS country, racism is considered morally deplorable by 99.99% of the population, and it's rightly illegal. If any individual or organisation is guilty of racism, they should be called out and punished accordingly. Sod all this posturing - deal with the source of racism and provide solutions that'll make a real difference to the lives of BAME folks when it happens.

Sadly, I fear this current crusade to promote Black Lives Matter is more likely to cause friction if it continues - there's almost an implication that we, the British public, are inherently racist and we need to be constantly reminded not to be. Personally, I find that difficult to stomach. Growing up (and to this day), I chose my heroes based upon their talent, not their skin colour: Bobby Barnes, Dale Banton, Luther Vandross, George Benson, Prince... I could go on and on. I've never judged anyone by the colour of their skin and I think I'm in the majority with that view.

We don't need celebrities and sports stars to set our moral compass, and no one should feel they have to 'take the knee' to prove they're not a racist - it doesn't show solidarity, it stokes division.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:20 pm

ShotOnTarget wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 pm
Jason wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:06 pm
ShotOnTarget wrote:

And they committed those offences in the name of ATFC? I didn't know that.
Oh and he was speaking for every person who is associated with or think that Black lives matter. I didnt know that either.