Dead Clubs

Stenhouse
Dead Clubs

Post by Stenhouse » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Its started - Macclesfield dead, Southend and Wigan on their last legs. No real chance of bubble crowds allowed in football grounds really until Christmas at the earliest, unless you are prepared to pay £ 15 for a test 24 hours before the game, as well as admission charge (according to the Guardian - (I know)). This is getting desperate now. Whilst we have bubbles sitting / standing - what about loos, turnstile and exits? Sorry to sound deadbeat, but like others I can see dozens of small clubs go to the wall before things get better. I will not attend a match until I have great confidence that I will not get the virus, not for my sake but my my loved ones. This is a very sad time. Hopefully people will respect social distancing for a few weeks longer, otherwise we are up the proverbial without a paddle.

Alex
Re: Dead Clubs

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

I get what you’re saying and no doubt lots of clubs will struggle to survive without the money made from crowds, but remember, Macclesfield, Southend and Wigan were all in trouble before covid.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 am

but remember, Macclesfield, Southend and Wigan were all in trouble before covid.
Spot on ......... Sheff Weds also walking a fine line before Covid.

Worry not Stenhouse, from what I gather, we are yet again heading for national lock-down very soon, my job heavily linked to being a "key worker" and already told to be prepared again. BUT, I'm desperate to get back to watching The Shots and I'm even prepared to self isolate at Wally's Bar when its my round.

EastbankAndy

Post by EastbankAndy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:33 am

Stenhouse wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Its started - Macclesfield dead, Southend and Wigan on their last legs. No real chance of bubble crowds allowed in football grounds really until Christmas at the earliest, unless you are prepared to pay £ 15 for a test 24 hours before the game, as well as admission charge (according to the Guardian - (I know)). This is getting desperate now. Whilst we have bubbles sitting / standing - what about loos, turnstile and exits? Sorry to sound deadbeat, but like others I can see dozens of small clubs go to the wall before things get better. I will not attend a match until I have great confidence that I will not get the virus, not for my sake but my my loved ones. This is a very sad time. Hopefully people will respect social distancing for a few weeks longer, otherwise we are up the proverbial without a paddle.
Are you available for Parties?😂

Yes it’s horrible with Covid currently however not all clubs that are falling by the wayside are attributed to Covid. Crowds WILL be in grounds by this weekend and by the time we kick off the season. If people aren’t confident in attending that’s their choice. You either take on the challenge or curl up in a little ball.

Nictor

Post by Nictor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 am

The small clubs are probably doing OK at the moment. I've been to 8 games so far this season, and they have all been well organised and well attended. I think the difficulty is more likely to be with the medium size clubs - those who are in step 1 and 2 and/or those who rely on attendances of more than 300. Until everything changes of course!

karlready

Post by karlready » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am

Nictor wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 am
The small clubs are probably doing OK at the moment. I've been to 8 games so far this season, and they have all been well organised and well attended. I think the difficulty is more likely to be with the medium size clubs - those who are in step 1 and 2 and/or those who rely on attendances of more than 300. Until everything changes of course!
Spot on. Clubs at steps 1 & 2have assumed Elitist status, and almost all rely on attendance income. Most level 3 and below can survive very nicely on sub- 500 gates. I think there will inevitably be clubs going to the wall, or possibly hibernating as the season goes on.

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 am

karlready wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am
Nictor wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 am
Spot on. Clubs at steps 1 & 2have assumed Elitist status, and almost all rely on attendance income. Most level 3 and below can survive very nicely on sub- 500 gates. I think there will inevitably be clubs going to the wall, or possibly hibernating as the season goes on.
Agreed to both. Hopefully the expectatons of supporters of clubs like ours will change from 'success at all costs' to 'sustainability within reasonable means'. Of course, it doesn't play to the drama that some thrive on, with andrenaline inducing close-shaves with finances and 'our heroes' riding in on white horses to 'save the club'', a scenario I personally find utterly repugnant.

Let's dream of a decent, comfortable stadium, sustainable football at a lower level (if that's whats required). Then we can build on a decent foundation rather than treading water in what I view as a sewer.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Stenhouse wrote:
Cowdenbeath have survived on the income of that bloke and his dog for years!

Seriously it is a worry though. If I can get to see the Shots I will; Covid will NOT stop me! However if I can’t, as another poster said, some lower league games are well attended and well organised. I have see. 5 x such games already and another one set for Saturday.

15-4-08

Post by 15-4-08 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm
Stenhouse wrote:
Cowdenbeath have survived on the income of that bloke and his dog for years!

Seriously it is a worry though. If I can get to see the Shots I will; Covid will NOT stop me! However if I can’t, as another poster said, some lower league games are well attended and well organised. I have see. 5 x such games already and another one set for Saturday.
Didnt I read somewhere that we’re playing AFC Wimbledon on Saturday?

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm

If this continues for much longer it wont be a surprise to see a premier league club hit serious financial difficulties.

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:41 am

[quote=Crowthorne post_id=637380 time=1600351935 user_id=9159]
If this continues for much longer it wont be a surprise to see a premier league club hit serious financial difficulties.
[/quote]

If the Newcastle takeover goes south they could be first on the list.

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm
Let's hope so. Maybe the only way anyone sits up and listens. Maybe Fulham ?? :wink:

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Anon E Mouse wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:13 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Let's hope so. Maybe the only way anyone sits up and listens. Maybe Fulham ?? :wink:
If I was to make a guess I would say a smallish club like Burnley or Palace.

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm
Anon E Mouse wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:13 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
If I was to make a guess I would say a smallish club like Burnley or Palace.
Palace again ? Shock