Re: Ex-Player News - September 28th onwards

Post by Les Briley » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Birdman wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:37 pm
Les Briley wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:31 pm
fredandballou wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:53 pm
Mark Molesley has said today that his Southend side will be continuing to take the knee. He says he wholeheartedly supports the movement (BLM). Will Danny and the team be taking the at Hartlepool this Saturday?
After five straight defeats, I would suggest that Mark Molesley should concentrate on the playing side of things.
Might be better for ‘em if they went down on both knees, put their hands together and prayed. :wink:
:lol: :wink:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Les Briley wrote:
fredandballou wrote:
Mark Molesley has said today that his Southend side will be continuing to take the knee. He says he wholeheartedly supports the movement (BLM). Will Danny and the team be taking the at Hartlepool this Saturday?
After five straight defeats, I would suggest that Mark Molesley should concentrate on the playing side of things.
Did it occur to you that these might be quite separate and independent matters? Unrelated, in fact.

Mark Molesley is a very decent man. Every Shots fan knows that. As for Southend, they were pretty much a basket case for all of last season under Kevin Bond and Sol Campbell so he was hardly handed the softest of jobs.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Les Briley wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:25 pm
..... Remember, your only aloud an opinion on here if you agree with certain posters :roll:
Actually, anyone is allowed to post any legal and decent opinion, however ridiculous. And by the same token, anyone is allowed to ridicule other people's opinions when they are ridiculous :roll:

In any case, I am by no means sure that the original post was legal and decent. It looked pretty offensive to me, and intended to be so.

15-4-08

Post by 15-4-08 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Les Briley wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:25 pm
15-4-08 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:52 pm

What pathetic rubbish.
It’s a perfectly valid question, actually.

Let’s see tomorrow how many fists get raised amongst the 22 players.
..... Remember, your only aloud an opinion on here if you agree with certain posters :roll:
Oh, sorry. I forgot. 😌😎

15-4-08

Post by 15-4-08 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:39 pm
15-4-08 wrote:
Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:52 pm

What pathetic rubbish.

Not valid at all. As far as I am aware, no player whatsoever has raised a fist in a black power salute since the Premier League and the EFL gave support to the BLM movement. So the basic premise is wrong. (Note the words "no doubt" and the implication that all our players would do this.)

And then, why should anyone be "encouraged" to display "the symbolism of the white power movement"? What is that symbolism anyway? Donning a Ku Klux Klan outfit?

I think I recognise a racist wind-up when I see it.

PS: I'll apologise profusely to you if any of our players give a black power salute at tomorrow's game.
Well, you haven’t watched any football on TV for the last few months. I’ll look and see if I can find a random clip on you tube. They all do it!!!!

My post did not have any racial overtones. I simply asked about something that many black players have done and compared it with something that I guarantee a white player would get slaughtered for if they did a similar thing.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 pm

15-4-08 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm
Old Bob wrote:
15-4-08 wrote:

Not valid at all. As far as I am aware, no player whatsoever has raised a fist in a black power salute since the Premier League and the EFL gave support to the BLM movement. So the basic premise is wrong. (Note the words "no doubt" and the implication that all our players would do this.)

And then, why should anyone be "encouraged" to display "the symbolism of the white power movement"? What is that symbolism anyway? Donning a Ku Klux Klan outfit?

PS: I'll apologise profusely to you if any of our players give a black power salute at tomorrow's game.
Well, you haven’t watched any football on TV for the last few months. I’ll look and see if I can find a random clip on you tube. They all do it!!!!

My post did not have any racial overtones. I simply asked about something that many black players have done and compared it with something that I guarantee a white player would get slaughtered for if they did a similar thing.
As I said, profuse apologies if players have been giving black power salutes. Better not to do that.

I did take your post to have racial overtones. Very much so. That is why I reacted against it. If this was not what you intended, then forgive me.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:33 pm

I'm surprised that the FA allow this continued display of support for a political organisation.

bbsub

Post by bbsub » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

I will be disappointed if ATFC management allow a display of support for BLM or any other political organisation.

15-4-08

Post by 15-4-08 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 pm

bbsub wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm
I will be disappointed if ATFC management allow a display of support for BLM or any other political organisation.
Prepare to be disappointed!

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 pm

bbsub wrote:
It's not a political organisation, as such. It's a principle. It's also a principle that's enshrined in law.

Would you be disappointed if ATFC management (and the football authorities generally) allowed a display of support for anti-Covid measures?

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 pm
bbsub wrote:
It's not a political organisation, as such. It's a principle. It's also a principle that's enshrined in law.

Would you be disappointed if ATFC management (and the football authorities generally) allowed a display of support for anti-Covid measures?
Bob, we had this before and people didn’t (wouldn’t?) listen. Sadly the best thing to do will be to leave it and go back to ex-players...

A Shot from Wales

Post by A Shot from Wales » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 am

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 pm
15-4-08 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm
Old Bob wrote:

As I said, profuse apologies if players have been giving black power salutes. Better not to do that.

I did take your post to have racial overtones. Very much so. That is why I reacted against it. If this was not what you intended, then forgive me.
https://0-i2--prod-football-london-0.cd ... shford.jpg

Les Briley

Post by Les Briley » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:59 am

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:47 pm
Les Briley wrote:
fredandballou wrote:
Did it occur to you that these might be quite separate and independent matters? Unrelated, in fact.

Mark Molesley is a very decent man. Every Shots fan knows that. As for Southend, they were pretty much a basket case for all of last season under Kevin Bond and Sol Campbell so he was hardly handed the softest of jobs.
I guarantee that he won't be there long,if they don't start winning.

Red-n-Blue

Post by Red-n-Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:51 am

Old Bob wrote:
bbsub wrote:

Footballers have been taking the knee for several months now. As far as I can tell, all BLM have achieved is to rally a bunch of celebrities and businesses to denounce their 'whiteness' - literally fighting racism with more racism.

As I've said before, it's rank tokenism and it's now causing division. 40,000+ people in the UK (of all colours) have died due to Covid and yet, footballers aren't marking that shocking loss of life with any kind of gesture. Does that make sense to anyone?

80fc

Post by 80fc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:18 am

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:51 am
Old Bob wrote:
bbsub wrote:

Footballers have been taking the knee for several months now. As far as I can tell, all BLM have achieved is to rally a bunch of celebrities and businesses to denounce their 'whiteness' - literally fighting racism with more racism.

As I've said before, it's rank tokenism and it's now causing division. 40,000+ people in the UK (of all colours) have died due to Covid and yet, footballers aren't marking that shocking loss of life with any kind of gesture. Does that make sense to anyone?
Footballers kneeling won't generate a single job for a young black person or stop someone being stabbed in a London side street and is probably doing more harm than good