F.A. Cup draw

Red-n-Blue
Re: F.A. Cup draw

Post by Red-n-Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:35 pm
In case you haven't noticed there is a pandemic going on and a threat of full lockdown a possibility.
Probably too early for it to stop this game but suspect by November there will be no football going on.
I'm gonna go as far to say by Christmas all leagues will be abandoned. But of course, whatever decision is made, by whatever expert makes it ,99% of the population will say its wrong because simply they are better experts.

Plus folk in the North East will claim despite their hospitals full and unable to cope, they don'y have a problem with Covid.

Oh ........ and Shots 3 - Woeking 1 ............. Of course.
Dr Jim Royle - a man who'd win the lottery and then complain about the cost of the phone call to claim his prize. :D

I'm only kidding, Jim, but we're still basking in the positive glow of Tuesday's result - don't spoil it!

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Golgo wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm
bordon shot wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 pm
The part timers Woking, have got their cup final early this season it seems.
Yep, little old part time Woking FC come to the wreck...Could there be a cup upset against the local “big time” club? 🤣🤣
😉👍😁

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:39 pm

As Dr J says thel season may well be abandoned. It strikes me as it was daft to even start it, non league, league 2 and league 1 and even some championship clubs cant survive without crowds. It would have been more sensible to hibernate for this season rather than increase losses. The PL bailing out leagues wont help as they will want too much in exchange.
Last edited by Crowthorne on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:26 pm

As Dr J says thel season may well be abandoned. It strikes me as it was daft to even start it, non league, league 2 and league 1 and even some championship clubs cant survive without crowds. It would have been more sensible to hibernate for this season rather than increse losses. The PL bailing out leagues wont help as they will want too much in exchange.
Any changes in our Football will only in the long haul benefit the perceived top ten clubs now, who will continue to sp*nk stupid wages away.

Any cash windfall the EFL Clubs get now will get sp*nked away trying to be part of the top ten club.

As for Covid and football, it has killed off fans attending and not doing a bad job getting to players, in turn leading to postponed games already. Do not think folk need to be Einstein to work out the maths.

Dr James Killjoy Royle :lol:

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:39 pm
As Dr J says thel season may well be abandoned. It strikes me as it was daft to even start it, non league, league 2 and league 1 and even some championship clubs cant survive without crowds. It would have been more sensible to hibernate for this season rather than increase losses. The PL bailing out leagues wont help as they will want too much in exchange.
Quite a heavy dose of hindsight here, I feel. At the time the decision was made to start the season, things looked rather more optimistic. And of course, as has been the case throughout this pandemic, the situation has been complex, fluid and [cliché_alert] "challenging" [\cliché_alert] for those who have to make decisions affecting the public.

Remember too that the government ruled that spectators would not be allowed only a short time before the season was due to start on 3 October. This was a decision of the government, not the football authorities. I mention this just to emphasise the difficulties faced in trying to do the best thing in desperately uncertain circumstances, and also that the sequencing of events is not as you imply it was.

So no, it wasn't a "daft" decision to start the season. I'm pretty sure you would be saying it was "daft" if the season had been abandoned and the pandemic subsequently subsided. Damned if you and damned if you don't.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:48 am

Surprised nobody has mentioned.....

Hartley Wintney away to the Daggers

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 am

Old Bob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
Quite a heavy dose of hindsight here, I feel. At the time the decision was made to start the season, things looked rather more optimistic. And of course, as has been the case throughout this pandemic, the situation has been complex, fluid and [cliché_alert] "challenging" [\cliché_alert] for those who have to make decisions affecting the public.

Remember too that the government ruled that spectators would not be allowed only a short time before the season was due to start on 3 October. This was a decision of the government, not the football authorities. I mention this just to emphasise the difficulties faced in trying to do the best thing in desperately uncertain circumstances, and also that the sequencing of events is not as you imply it was.

So no, it wasn't a "daft" decision to start the season. I'm pretty sure you would be saying it was "daft" if the season had been abandoned and the pandemic subsequently subsided. Damned if you and damned if you don't.
I would agree with you about hindsight, had I not been saying starting the season was a bad idea before it started.
We were told ages ago that the second wave was coming and could be worse.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 am
Old Bob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 pm
Crowthorne wrote:

I would agree with you about hindsight, had I not been saying starting the season was a bad idea before it started.
We were told ages ago that the second wave was coming and could be worse.
Fair play, Mr Thorne. My apologies to you if you were saying this from early on. For my part, at the point where it seemed that at least some fans would be allowed in to "elite" games, it I thought was worth starting the season. Obviously, things changed dramatically when Boris and pals said "No fans".

Good point about the second wave warnings. I believe quite a few people suspected that this dire forecast was intended principally to get people to stick to the rules that applied at the time, and that the second wave might not be that bad. You may recall there was a spell when it was said that numbers were going up, but hospital admissions and deaths were not. There was talk that mostly younger people were being infected and the symptoms were relatively minor.

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 pm

To carry on with the season now seems to me to be foolish, we already have games being called off due to Covid and this will only increase. Fixture congestion and a distorted league table are bound to follow, the risk of clubs going broke only adds to the problem.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Crowthorne wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 pm
To carry on with the season now seems to me to be foolish, we already have games being called off due to Covid and this will only increase. Fixture congestion and a distorted league table are bound to follow, the risk of clubs going broke only adds to the problem.
I fear you may be right :sad: We have already seen a number of "walk overs" in the FA Cup.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 pm
Crowthorne wrote:
I fear you may be right :sad: We have already seen a number of "walk overs" in the FA Cup.

Well, that’s one way that we could get to Wembley. :wink:

Red-n-Blue

Post by Red-n-Blue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 am

Crowthorne wrote:
Yet, there are others who vociferously believe we should get as close to 'normal' as we can, and fans should be allowed to attend matches (albeit in smaller numbers). Everyone has a position and those positions are becoming increasingly entrenched.

Personally speaking, the thought of everything that brings a little joy to my life being taken away again fills me with utter dread. We shouldn't underestimate the damage this continual disruption to people's lives is having on their mental health (not to mention their income). Yes, we need to keep the virus under control, but not at any and every cost.

BillB

Post by BillB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 am

You're right Alex, but very few threads do what is says on the label....... Woking? Where is Woking

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:32 am

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 am
Crowthorne wrote:
Yet, there are others who vociferously believe we should get as close to 'normal' as we can, and fans should be allowed to attend matches (albeit in smaller numbers). Everyone has a position and those positions are becoming increasingly entrenched.

Personally speaking, the thought of everything that brings a little joy to my life being taken away again fills me with utter dread. We shouldn't underestimate the damage this continual disruption to people's lives is having on their mental health (not to mention their income). Yes, we need to keep the virus under control, but not at any and every cost.
Although he’s obviously a compulsive liar, Boris was talking about 15-minute tests yesterday that are being sent out up north at the moment.

Once these are available across the country, sports, events and hospitality should open up - might have to wait until the new year though. If these work, I think we’ll be back in the Rec (safely) before the end of the season.

Unfortunately, we just have to wait it all out a few more months. All the experts and scientists are saying it will get worse before it gets better so we have to be safe and sensible.

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:59 am

Is this not an FA Cup thread?